Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quain Stott Willys build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

GREER GASSER RACE POSTPONED
    Sorry to report this but the Greer race has been Postponed until next Saturday November 8th, There is no way we could get this in if the weather report is even close to right. Please help me spread the word so not to inconvenience the fans and racers anymore than they already have been. Don't give up on us it can still be a record setter next Saturday so make plan's to be there.

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Don't forget this Saturday November 8th will be the last chance to see the South East Gassers race this year.

3. Saturday! Saturday! Saturday!
    Racing at its best ... Step back in time to 1965 ... tire smoking ... dry wheel hopping... high wheel standing ... gassers !!!!

30dodgeboy and Quain Stott like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's the line up for the South East Gasser race this Saturday November 8th. This will be the last chance to see the South East Gassers this year. If you are into mid 1960s era correct Gassers don't miss the last chance to see them.
    Funny thing, people told me I would never get anybody to build cars to meet South East Gasser rules. Here's 18 and about 10 more being built for next year. A lot of the thanks goes to the Hamb members for all the support.

Jared Bailey - 55 chevy
    Tommy Lumley - 40 chevy
    Jimmy Huff - ford station wagon
    Mitch Stott - 33 willys
    Sonny Burr - 37 chevy
    Dale Wilson - 57 chevy
    Will Bailey - chevy 2
    Johnny Bailey - 55 chevy
    Quain Stott - 41 willys
    Donovan Stott - 48 anglia
    Jerry Willingham - 64 1/2 mustang
    Greg Porter - 55 chevy
    Danny Graham - Studebaker (all the way from Texas)
    Shannon Smith - 55 chevy
    Gene Cromer - 41 willys
    Jimmy Finley - 64 mustang
    Justin Moses - 56 chevy
    Tim Bailey - 41 willys

30dodgeboy likes this.
  5. Russman69

Russman69
    from MI

Awesome! Wish I could be there. Good luck to all!

Quain Stott likes this.
  6. Bumping this one up for those who missed it. Quain you knocked it out of the park. I am addicted to the South East Gassers videos on Youtube. You guys kick major ass. Some day I am hoping to make the trip to meet you guys.

Quain Stott and OldColt like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Glad you enjoy the videos but as you know there is nothing like being there. Hope you can make it this year to see us, if you do let me know and you can hang out in my pits. Sorry about taking so long to respond, the hamb has stopped sending me emails when someone post on one of my threads.

8. Quain, thanks for the response. Whether you guys know it or not, you are creating a movement. I for one have the bug and just happen to have a real 61 Falcon gasser survivor from the NorthWest. I grew up at the track just like Donovan and you guys have given me the shove to recreate this car. I would love your input when it comes time to do so.
    We all really appreciate what did for Gene too. Real stand up stuff Quain.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30dodgeboy likes this.
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Be glad to help in anyway. my phone # is 828 863 1201 if you can't catch me that way e-mail is quainstott@live.com

kidcampbell71 and Hackman like this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's the latest South East Gassers video from the Finals at Greer Dragway 11-8-14. No fake Gassers here they have to be era correct, Check out our web for rules and driver profiles here. http://www.southeastgassers.com/

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

any idea when you guys are coming to Knoxville this year

12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

May 30th Spread the word. Our Greer race is April 25.

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

cool I would like to set up and sell old magazines with you guys again

14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Bring them on they would be a great addition to our show. Remind me when time gets closer and I will save you a spot with the group. I have someone looking for a speed and super car magazine October 1968 if you run up on one.

15. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Same here.

Hackman and Quain Stott like this.
  16. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I raced my 56 with a local 'gasser' club here last summer a couple times, it was a joke. Every misrepresentation of the weight-over-cubes classes of the 60's you could imagine...

1.bracket format. I fucking hate bracket racing but I thought I'd give it a try for 'the cause.'

2. None of the cars in said class had a stick, including mine, and I feel like a douche for that. I couldn't afford to run a stick 5 years ago....that's gonna change this year, 3 pedals once again.

3.no one in this 'gas class' has ever thumbed thru a musty old 60's hot rod mag...not one car (including mine I really hate to admit) was 100% correct to the era. It got a lot worse than mine tho by a lot. i.e. an early 90's pro street Willys is a 'gasser' just because it's a Willys. I mean, this dude changed NOTHING on his car for the class. Wheel tubs, nose down, mustang 2 etc. very depressing.

Quain, I'm addicted to the SEG vids on the 'tube just like Hackman is. Your Willys is ON POINT. It's a car that Popular Hot Rodding would've featured in 1968, and that's how nostalgia racing should be. Just like pale rider, night stalker, etc. etc. I think it's cool as hell that you let that Avalon Speed Shop '40 Stude race with ya. I love that car.

I remember your pro mod days from when I was a kid, when your car had a 'bug eater' sponsor. I think it's awesome that when you gave up the pro mod that you began the period correct nostalgia stuff. My hats off to ya for setting forth some rules for your class, I'm gonna try to impart the same structure on the 'gasser club' I mentioned, but it'll prolly go nowhere. If that's the case, I'm out. Maybe me and Hackman can make a road trip out east to make one of your races. My car'll be 100% 1969 correct when I do.

Thanks for the inspiration. -Kevin

17. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Great post and another vote here for the Avalon Speed Shop Stude, I saw it at the Meltdown Drags last year and it's as cool as they come.

Quain Stott and Kevs56 like this.
  18. All some post Kevin. period correct

Quain Stott and Kevs56 like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Kevin, it's post like this that keeps me going. As most know the South East Gassers is a big money loss but everytime I think I have had enough I read something like this and it get my energy level back up. I get a lot of uplifting letters but I also get the ones like the guy you were talking about that thinks they have a gasser because it has a straight axle. Then they get pissed at me when I won't let them run. I have had some tell me that most race fans don't know the difference and I agree, but that's what we are all about to teach them what it was like. These other groups have them thinking that Gassers ran on alcohol, wonder where they think the gasser name came from. Gas in the tank should be rule # 1 before it's called a gasser. Those same people have already ruined the nostalgia name by letting thing get light years away from what it really was. Now since the Nostalgia name don't draw fans like it did 15 years ago they have started calling everything a gasser so it's going to be ruined also in a few years.

The Danny Graham Studebaker came all the way from Texas and pretty much said the same thing you said, there is no where else to race an era correct car without feeling like you brought a knife to a gunfight. He said he was going to make the trip for most of our 10 races this year.

The Bug Eater pro mod that brings back some memories 1995 - 1997.

As for getting a group to change after it's started you are wasting your time. The only thing you can do is start your own. I started the SEG 4 years ago with 2 cars, at our last race we had 19 cars and 24 new cars being built this winter. That would be 43 era correct cars if they all showed up for the same race. If you do want to start your own or try to change the one you're in now I'll be glad to help anyway I can. I don't want another gasser group in my back door but I want them in different areas.

Oh yea you said your car would be right for 1969 bump it back to 1967. The gassers were dead in 1969 all the cool cars were just about gone then.

Thanks again for the kind words ~Quain~

20. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I say '69 cause my Brodix heads have accessory holes in em haha ;)

Thanks for the reply, that was a good read. Kinda figured you'd get flamed for turning the non believers away, but once again I sure respect ya for stickin' to your guns, and drawing the line somewhere.

You've got me thinking about what I'm gonna do here in CO, and at the moment I don't know. I just don't think there's any loyalty to nostalgia racing here like there is where you're at. You boys are true to the form, and man do I wish I knew a bunch of guys here that had the dedication to 60's drag racing that the SEG do. Man would that be cool.

I'll plan on making the hamb drags this year, and I'll look at your race schedule and see if I can make something happen. I guess I'll let ya go with that, but I do appreciate the .02

-Kev

Quain Stott likes this.
  21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's a video that was just done on our group and what we are all about. The race footage is early Friday morning First round of qualifying at the Rockingham race last week.

22. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Quain.. Check your PMs

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Don't miss the South East Gassers at Shady Side Drag Way in Shelby NC this Saturday June 20th. First round of qualifying at 5 o'clock.

Russman69 likes this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Quain thanks for posting the video. Wish you guys were closer. You put on a great show. Had to deal with some business first on the computer this morning but your video made my day. Looking forward to seeing you and your group again at the Meltdown. Your numbers are growing. Any idea how many cars might make the trip to Byron? Mitch’s car looks great. Does he have any plans to letter it up? Take care Jim

Quain Stott likes this.
  26. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome video. Looks like you guys are running fast and having fun

Quain Stott likes this.
  27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Jim, Your right our # are growing out of control. I didn't know how starved this country was for a era correct Gasser deal.
    Right now we have 26 active cars running, and 34 new ones being built just for the South East Gassers. I won't add a name to the new build list until they send me pics that the build is started, so these are real # not just someone saying that they are going to build.
    I just wish I could come up with a way to get this deal to at least break even. At the end of last year I had over $30,000 invested not all out of pocket but time away from my work and a lot of out of pocket. For an example I went to the PRI show trying to find Sponsorship for this deal and spent $712 (travel and motel bills) and had to take 3 days off of work. Then the phone, it rings all day long from fans, racers and tracks trying to book our show. I'm glad it is ringing but I ain't getting to work.
    I just had to turn down a $40,000 a year tuning job with a pro mod team because 5 of their races were on top of SEG races. that's $40,000 for just 10 weekends. I guess I can add that to the pot for money lost, total now $70,000.
    I'm not giving up anytime soon something will come along we just have to get the word out that we are here to stay and that our deal is different than all the others.
    Just think 5 years ago I was told by many that there was no way to get people to build a car that would be out dated on purpose.

About the meltdowns We have about 6 - 8 cars coming and a few locals that fit the rules are going to run with us. This year they want us to just put on our show and not the North vs South thing. I like this way better because we will all be on the same team. We will qualify Saturday and run the race Saturday night under the lights. that's right Lights this year.

wedjim, loudbang, 9sectruck and 3 others like this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We appreciate what you guys are doing

30dodgeboy, cptn60 and Quain Stott like this.
  29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks enloe there are a lot that do appreciate our efforts, most think we are crazy LOL. Sometimes I wonder myself.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  30. HA!! 11412288_10204206153702707_3563037567452064004_n.jpg