Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 f100 suspension help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kdearing, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

I have a 53 f100 that all original that I would like to make more of a driver. What can I do to make it handle better

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics, give details on truck including how it handles now.

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Jag, front & rear

4. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452391173.106868.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452391206.439457.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452391234.970436.jpg
    The truck is completely original has some slop in the steering but not bad just wondering if there r some upgrades that would help on the drive ability of it.

5. Larry T

Larry T

Not HAMB approved, but look at one of Industrial Chassis' Dakota crossmember kits.

But not if you're gonna leave the flathead in it. If you're going to do that, check with Mid-Fifties for some of their suspension stuff.

6. verde742

verde742

For PETE'S sake put some smaller,> stock< tires on front, and good shocks, Looks like its got 700 or 750x16 inch tire all the way around.
    1953 are one of the best F-100, and usually set low from factory. put some 15 inch wheels/tires.
    Steering gear can be adjusted when you change front tires/wheels.and get it aligned by an old competent shop.
    If that is the look you want (and can afford at this time) start with stock size tires.
    It just looks so Darn NICE, but to high and commercial.

Google : PUTTING TOYOTA POWER STEERING IN A F-100

You can "up grade" as you learn about it. I assume you just got it recently.
    They are not the best handling truck, but tire size defiantly effects handling.
    There are so many options, but start with tires and shocks. then read up..
    One of the most popular trucks, lots of knowledge available.

OR JUST LET ME KNOW, AND WHEN THE WEATHER GETS BETTER I WILL TAKE THAT PIECE OF SHIT OFF YOUR PROPERTY:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  7. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

One word.....radials....

8. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

The truck is completely original has some slop in the steering but not bad just wondering if there r some upgrades that would help on the drive ability of it.

9. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

What do I need to do to make "hamb approved"

10. verde742

verde742

Read the rules,, then do what you want, and stand BACK, you will find out..

11. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

No it posted twice somehow.

12. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

I'll make make sure it's hamb approved. Before I post anymore

13. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I think their yanking your chain because it's so stock and IMHO it should be left that way. Try the FORDBARN for better answers to your questions. Love your truck. Ralphie

117harv likes this.
  14. F-head

F-head

wow thats a nice truck
    although its not strictly traditional what King Ford said, Radial tires would make a huge difference over those old nylon truck tires

15. Define handle better. I have driven the hell out of 'em with the stock suspension and they handle fine.

If you have the stock I beam I am going to say that the best thing you can do for it is rebuild the suspension, king pins, shocks spring bushings drag link and tie rod ends, if the box is too loose go through it they are good front ends just most of the time they are wore out.

if you go to rack n pinion and all that modern trendy stuff I would like the box.

Truck64 and snopeks garage like this.
  16. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

I'm wanting to make a shop truck out of it. Hopefully put a t5 behind the flathead. I've had the truck for a couple years. I want a very traditional look it so much of a custom look

17. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

I'm wanting to make a shop truck out of it. Hopefully put a t5 behind the flathead. I've had the truck for a couple years. I want a very traditional look it so much of a custom look

18. I would stay with the beam and just get everything up to par if it were me. If you want to down in the snout you can jill flirt the springs or drop the axle or move the axle to the top of the springs. The first two hear are your best option but I would not be afraid to move the axle if that was my only option.

Any dropping to the front you do will cause you to screw with the drag link a little bit to avoid bump steer, make sure you know how it is oriented before you change anything so that you can duplicate the orientation after word.

Aside from the Mustang II or the jag if you want to go modern the pacer front end is an easy swap and was pretty popular about 20 years ago. just another avenue if you decide to screw with it.

19. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

I definitely want to keep the I beam

20. Kdearing

Kdearing
    from Arkansas

21. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

Nice truck. Mine started out as a flathead with a Ford-o-matic. Now it has a 460 C6 combo.
    Front is Volare, 9"rear on leaf springs. Going 4 bar rear for better ride this winter. Keep yours simple and enjoy it.

Attached Files:

22. Tetanus

Tetanus

I had a 55 f100. rebuild your kingpins and dont forget the bushings and bolts that go thru the leafs. mine drove great after that.it was my daily for 2 years.I think I also lowered front by pulling a leaf or more out cant remember how many, so it was just above the bump stops.

23. glrbird

glrbird

If the suspension is in good shape try a good set of gas shocks and maybe sway bars, makes a world of difference.

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

That's a nice truck to start with! You've already gotten some good suggestions. My F 100 has given me fits on and off because I tried to "cheap out" on the upgrades. Like someone else said, the king pins and bushings need to be fresh and tight, same with the spring bushings and all tie rod and drag link ends. Do it all at once and do it right. These parts all wear pretty fast with regular use. Lube the front end parts religiously.
    Good heavy duty shocks and a steering damper are good additions.
    Those steering boxes are somewhat under-engineered and often need rebuilding, it's easy to do and you want to inspect it and rebuild it if necessary before the sector gets damaged - that adds a bunch to the cost of a rebuild. Don't run wide tires on the stock front end, it's hard on everything, especially the steering box. The stock non-power steering isn't all that bad if you stick to front tires that are pretty close to the stock width.
    Radial tires will make it drive better for the most part if that fits the look you are going for.
    If you are looking to lower it, try the folks at Mid Fifty F-100 (http://midfifty.com/ ). They are very nice to deal with and have done everything to those trucks. I would recommend a full set of their lowering springs first and work from there. I tried all of the "old tricks" and ended up with an evil handling rattle-trap, should have just spent the $$ the first time and saved my self some work and aggravation.

25. oj

oj

That is a sweetie. Its winter, I'd pull the front end apart and look for the slop etc to tighten it up, when reassembling I'd add a front sway bar, that'll make a huge difference. Thats about all you'll need to do, well, go thru the steering box as well. As nice as that truck looks most of what I and others suggest has been done but its' best to check for yourself. Don't forget the sway bar, thats what you are looking for and don't know it.

26. chargin03

chargin03

Nice looking truck

27. verde742

verde742

Yeah !!!! ITS A REAL WINTER !!!! And a real WINNER !!!!!
    I will take it if its OVER WELLLMING!!!

28. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Hey man, don't pay any attention to these guys trying to tell you how to fix that truck.

There ain't a damn thing you can do to it to make it do what you want, it's a lost cause man, don't waste your time or money.

Send me an email or PM telling me where you are and I will come and take it off your hands and haul it away at no charge and will see that it is dealt with properly.

29. verde742

verde742

HEY, :eek: Back off Drunk Man !!!
    :mad:I already told him that POS is mine, :D soon as the weather clears !!!

Drunk Man likes this.
  30. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Weather don't mean anything to me, man, I got a Cummins powered Dodge that will haul that old Ford home with out slipping a wheel. I'll have it home before you even get there. Hah!

I don't know how to put them there funny faces in my post.