Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects LXII (62) Chevy II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    upload_2017-1-9_19-2-11.png

Johnny Gee likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

1978 Datsun 280 Z 14" :D [​IMG]

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's not directed at you, it's me. Make sense now ?

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm, You about to tell me you got 4 of those laying around and you need a grille for a Falcon?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yea, that's the ticket!

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got any 40 year old Datsun sports cars down there is the Orygun state capital Douglas?

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Have you looked at an Oreegun map lately Billy boy?

I realize you have those new wheels but to (my) thinking this wheel change should center on the hub caps first. If oem Chevy dog dish caps fit those Datsun wheels and the center bore is big enough to clear the Nova hubs; that's the route (I) would take.
    Has it been verified the bolt spacing is compatible?
    No help on a lead on the wheels but they shouldn't be that hard to find.
    Just do your homework on compatability or you'll have eight wheels to pack out to the (always in April) Portand swap meet.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the bolt pattern on the Nova is 4 on 4 1/2. ill put a dial caliper on the center hub tomorrow. I think these new rims have a 4" offset, I will have to measure the 13" stockers, but would guess they are about the same judging from the way they sit in the fenders. Ill work on these Datsun rims a bit tomorrow around town. If they would take a 10 1/4" cap one of the HAMBers has a set of cool vette caps that would look bitchin.
    upload_2017-1-9_22-7-27.png

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep that is what I have found so far. The Nova is 4 on 4 1/2 with 7/16 bolts. Ford bolt pattern is the same but the centers wont fit over the chevy hubs and fords like bigger nuts (no comment).

loudbang likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I may pull peoples chain to get a room to chuckle. But I don't joke just so I can get things. When I posted the Datsun wheels I only learned about them 1 minute before posting it here. And your Nova isn't even my problem ;) :p :)

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its a good lead Johnny. I'm checking on it to see if the hub will fit. I'm always into the old tug and chuckle. :rolleyes:

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The facts are not good enough but I had a 72 Datsun B110 that needed 2 American Mags to complete a mixed set it had on it. My friend bought a 4 lug Nova and I converted it to 5 lug. I gave the mags from the Nova a try on that Datsun and they fit. I'll look and see what a Z's bolt circle is.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

15. henry29

henry29

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Thanks Henry, that will help. I may have priced them a bit too high on the classifieds. I just put them on there for what a Ford parts dealer told me they were worth.
    Johnny, I cant find any rims locally to measure. The bolt pattern is the same, not sure about offset and hub diameter. Still researching. I have to drop off my exhaust at Russ Meeks in Clackamas today, there is a wheel store down the street that thinks they have 2. Ill go do some measuring, dial caliper in hand.

17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I too have plans for Russ to do my roadster and my wifes Nova exhaust systems in their "titanium" thermal barrier coating. I really like the subdued look, not as flashy and bright as the normal coating.
    Now if I can remember where I buried that can of money in the back yard.

neilswheels and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's all good and was fun to make fun of myself as I forgot that you where working with 4 lugs and not 5. So I did a quick search and had to chuckle at what turned up then DDDenny mentions Ford products that are possible. Never meant to go this far but it seems to have opened some avenues that seemingly were not there before. And yes, check and double check if these new options can be valid. Especially when it comes to GM dog caps fitting another OE's wheel or all this will be nothing but a repeat of what your already going thru. Good Luck

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the benefits of living in the PNW Douglas, is knowing Russ. What a guy. He looked over the exhaust and wants to sand down a couple of welds a bit better before coating them so they come out looking tight. A true professional! I'm going shiny, having him do the connecting rod exhaust hangers too.
    Yeah Johnny, I'd like to forget about it too! 4 lugs suck for finding rims. I went by the dealer that had the Datsun rims and the offset is not right, id have to run a spacer to kick them out where they belong. Rather avoid the use of spacers if possible, not that the little 194 is going to be doing any hole shots.
    This is did not know BigDog. I have seen their red line radials on a GTO last summer, looked nice. I have red line radials that I buy from Diamond back. They red line T/A's so the tread is familiar. The thing I like about the Coker tire is that the lettering isn't shaved off the sidewall for more of a authentic look. I love these F70 redlines I bought for the Nova, they look sick still wrapped in plastic! And again, the 194 isn't going to be making any high speed passes on the salt so they will suffice.

21. Your attachments for the Falcoon Grilles dont work - I get an error message - but to be Honest Abe, they are too spensive anyhoo.

22. That is surprising - I used 240 Zed wheels on the wifey's Comet Wagon (a Falcon by any other name) and the offset was spot on. Can't imagine that Nogo wheels were more deep dish than Coon's were ......

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I'm not going to swear on a Jalopy Journal that the rim I measured was in deed the Zed rim in question. The looks of this place made me wish I was wearing hand condoms during my brief visit. It was 4 on 4 1/2 pattern though.
    Me thinks I'm gonna have to have a red tag sale.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like you visited the gypos out Columbia blvd. way.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hit them too Douglas. So far, nothing of any real help on those wheels.

26. There are other Nissan/Datsun wheels with the same bolt pattern but for front driver's, might be the offset issue ~ maybe

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent point hotroddon, have to admit I am not up to speed on the cars built west of California but I did a bit of research after reading your post and I could have easily been measuring a FWD rim today.

loudbang likes this.
  28. RoseCityOlds

RoseCityOlds

I have a '63 F85 that shares the same 4x4.5 bolt pattern. And I have extra 14" 4 lug GM steelies that I'd be willing to part with. I also have some 14" wire rims that were off of a Datsun if you're interested. I'm down in Portland.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:confused:

I came this close to bringing this very thing to BB's attention but thought it would just be too easy, cripes, another senior moment attack!

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Douglas, you're re killing me!
    RoseCity Olds, PM me on the price of those 14's steelies please. Set of 4? I can still return the rims to Summit.