Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragmaster Dragster Found Hanging On A Wall.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947knuck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Tyler and Jimmy get the engine ready to load for the trip home. They removed the headers, fuel pump, and blower. The headers belonged to Jimmy he told me he'd had them for years. They had the look I was after so I ask if he would sell them, he went over and talked to Dode came back and told me I could just have them. I offered again to pay him and he said we want to give them to you. IMG_2088.JPG IMG_2092.JPG

Vic Walter, mad mikey, winr and 19 others like this.
  2. This is the coolest thread on the hamb right now

Spoggie, 1947knuck, OahuEli and 8 others like this.
  3. 1947knuck

1947knuck

While the engine was being readied for the trip Dode and I took the opportunity to sit and visit. I told him how much it meant to us to have an engine he built and how it added to the restoration. He said he was glad he was a part of it he felt like it made the car complete since it's his car and still has all his original parts, the rearend they narrowed and mounted, their front end, their hubs, he smiled and said it's as original as possible now. Dode said this car would have been bought as a complete rolling chassis that was modified afterwards for the right hand steer. He said when he went over his plans for the engine he was building and what parts he needed, his friends were more than willing to help and they were happy with how the engine looked and ran when it was finished. He told me this would probably be the last time they would all work together to build an engine from the old racing days.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    mad mikey, winr, Spoggie and 18 others like this.
  4. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Everything's loaded and secured, the blower and headers will be locked in the truck one night at our 1/2 way stop. While we're driving their going to be in the bed of the truck next to the engine wrapped in moving blankets and secured in the shipping crate. I told Tyler if we had some sort of accident the last thing we want is an injected 6-71 blower fly'n around in the cab. IMG_2093.JPG

5. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Tyler did a video of the engine but we didn't think it turned out good. We're going to look it over again this weekend when he's back in town and see if it's worth posting.

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 5 others like this.
  6. This is, hands down, the coolest thread on here! What an amazing opportunity spending time with and having expert input from such legends. I can't imagine what it must feel like for you guys!

Steve

1947knuck, Blownfuel, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Steve, this does feel like an epic journey here doesn't it.
    This doesn't happen all that often, especially with the "royalty" involved.
    Always glad to see an early sbc with a 6-71.
    The really cool part is the OP's son having a hands on involvement in the project.
    Tyler, many (most) of us greybeards here would have killed for this experience both as a teenager and as...................us.

1947knuck, Mtn Goat, HunterYJ and 8 others like this.
  8. Hombre

Hombre

DDDenny, Thanks for expressing my exact thoughts...

1947knuck likes this.
  9. "as...................us", read "old" :D:D

Blownfuel likes this.
  10. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I want to thank everyone for their kind words, I'm glad your enjoying this thread. Getting to spend the time's with Dode and his friends has been So Cool.
    If the engine had ran right the first time we wouldn't have experienced what we did. We got to watch and listen to the exchange of ideas between Dode, Roy and Jimmy as they worked to figure it out. After fixing the problem we all sat around the desk while they told their story's of the old days working out different problems while racing. And those story's lead to more story's, how neat it was to just listen to this group reminisce. I'm glad for us that it worked out the way it did, it added a real nice unexpected and memorable experience to our build.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. brad2v

brad2v

Agreed, the best thread on here at the moment. It has renewed my faith. Thanks again for keeping us all involved.

1947knuck, rjones35 and kiwijeff like this.
  12. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We made it home okay put the blower back on just to stand back and look at it. Jimmy gave us two alignment bolts to install in the manifold to ease lining the blower and gasket up. I had this scoop cover but decided to order an original black one. IMG_2101.JPG IMG_2102.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  13. 1947knuck

1947knuck

With the engine mounts in place along with the driveshaft and shield we took the donor block out and installed the Dode Martin engine, we think it looks so good. We removed the blower while installing the engine and bolted an empty 6-71 blower case in place to attach the engine hoist so not to chance damaging any parts. IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2122.JPG

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Knuck
    Hope not to sound like a negative Nellie here.
    Purely a personal opinion but this car reeely needs a pair of vintage rear wheels.
    The only thing missing, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
    This car deserves it.
    Bravo!

15. I agree 100% wasn't going to say it but since I didn't do it first I concur. Those just look like glasses on the Mona Lisa. After all the time and energy spent it would be deserving of real deal wheels.

1947knuck, brad2v and bowie like this.
  16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Palamides four slot...or 1st generation round spoke MAG torques...small window Hal's...just sayin'as awesome as all your other goodies are...no disrespect to your build I love it! I'm just a freak for the old original wheels. as an aside I think we might be kindred spirits : '47 EL ,80 wheels/74" jugs : Hope that redeem 's me!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    winr, loner2, cruiserjohn76 and 3 others like this.
  17. X4 but hey you can't really see what they look like with smoke all around them. Get out there and do some burn outs. You helped all those ol timers I bet they can't stop thinking about building that motor for ol time sake. Did you ask any of they if they would want to jump in it and make a run down the strip???

Spoggie, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  18. That SBC sure looks sweet between the frame rails! Look forward to the updates every day.

Spoggie, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  19. 1947knuck

1947knuck

I agree with everyone. I put these wheels on before researching Dragmaster history and changing the direction of the build to it's current restoration. Because of the consuming time involved in the restoration I've just started looking for the correct vintage wheels.
    These are the 2 wheel styles we're deciding on, we're leaning toward the MAG torques that resemble the wheels on it now.
    When I put the current wheels on I was thinking of building a wooden push bar that could be installed when needed for looks and building a vintage style trailer to haul the Dragster with my Ford pickup. My thoughts were the wheels would match so that was the reason for the those wheels at the time. If anyone has any leads for the two styles we're looking for if you would shoot me a conversation I would appreciate it. Thanks. IMG_1852.JPG

TBirdGirl26, loner2, Stebo27 and 6 others like this.
  20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

winr, loner2, Stebo27 and 4 others like this.
  21. Actually 8 wheels. Don't forget the period correct single axle trailer:D

Sancho and bowie like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

What a wonderful project, especially with the caliber of the people involved. As far as rear wheels, the Mag 5 spokes would probably be the easiest to find, but the Palamides would be special. Kudos ! P7310003.JPG 2012-10-15 112251.jpg

Vic Walter, mad mikey, winr and 10 others like this.
  23. 1947knuck

1947knuck

We mocked up a firewall that was the correct height and length drilled the mounting holes, coil mount and cut the slot for the bell crank arm then used it as a pattern to build an aluminum one. We modified the draglink cutting slots 2 inches long on each end using clamps to secure it instead of jam nuts. It's in this picture just under the header. IMG_2134.JPG

24. 1947knuck

1947knuck

IMG_1848.JPG
    We just might be. My Knucklehead's also a: 47EL, 80 wheels/74"jugs.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking great and in the right hands...the front wishbone was missing on the car so I fabricated it to pictures i took at the Hot Rod Reunion.

loudbang likes this.
  26. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

I hope to get to see this car run. Maybe the hamb drags? Hope to see you in the lane across from me. Keep the project rolling.

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Not meaning to hijack this so very cool thread, but when there's a lull in the posts, here, you can see and hear some very cool stuff going on over at Dode's. Just type in Dode Martin over at Youtube. My favorite being Dodes Deal posted by Bill Pitts.

Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  28. 1947knuck

1947knuck

With the throttle linkage, firewall and the clutch & battery brackets finished we stripped it down and built the three body panels. IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2189.JPG

29. 1947knuck

1947knuck

The Dzus fasteners on the original panels had a grove just under the flush mount head that was secured in place by crimping the body panel into the grove. I found the exact fastener (Z-Spec Stud) along with the tools to dimple the panels and secure the fasteners from MilSpec a company that supplys parts for vintage aircraft restoration. I marked the panels and my son Stephan dimpled then crimped the fasteners in place. All that was left to do was cut the panels to go around the rear end. Z-Spec-Stud_FJ.png IMG_2191.JPG

30. Here's your rear wheels.

[​IMG]