Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Don't waste your money

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coilover, May 10, 2017.

1. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Lawson products for your bolts and fastners, I always have good luck there, also as said above, ACE hardware seems to have good grade 8 bolts but do not carry grade 5, at least in the stores around here.

2. The company I work for (a major battery manufacturer) just dropped fastenal as a fastener supplier. Sounds like they might want to get they're QC under control

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They buy lots of ore, too.

120mm likes this.
  4. cool406

cool406

Thanks for the bolt info it's to bad we have to go through these kinda things to get WHAT WE THOUGHT WE HAD ALREADY

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

steveodeluxe likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Worked for the Govt for years . We built special use training police cars. High stressed teaching new cops to catch bad Guys. Used Lawson bolts only. No failures in 19 years. American made, at least used to be.
    Find a distributor and start an account. Or go to Ace Hardware, their stuff is good and my local Ace has a real good selection.

46international likes this.
  6. I'm in the defense business and we get hardware back from the field for repairs and retrofits. Often, hardware is replaced and the old stuff is tossed out. I have a couple of guys who put it aside for us car guys and we dig through it. I have some real nice fine-thread fasteners on my car for the very right price.

7. You are right about that, Ace has saved me more than one time when looking for odd stuff

8. True, but hey they cost be a lot of beer, although I did help drink it. :D

9. stimpy

stimpy

yep, not from us but the land down under ... big ore producer .. and most of todays USA made steel is recycled from scrap ( most of the good ore is been mined out ) , like a cake recipe you can adjust the ingredients , and with steel its hard to tell the difference if refined properly .

material science was my major in college , and the science of fasteners is complicated . ( many different specs for applications and societys grading them ) as for being able to cut thru a grade 8 bolt , as long as its not case or mechanically hardened you should be able to do it with a hacksaw with some effort . as for me I buy certified bolts they cost a little more but are worth the little piece of paper and when dealing with ISO certifications on some stuff , the paper trail is vast in a paperless society.

as for the AN NAS guys thats good stuff . when I worked for a MET/NDT lab in college one of my jobs was to clean and check bolts used in Jet engines/turbines and landing gear , ( NDT ) and the checklist required was long ( you have to even know what cleaners to use for what and no mechanical cleaning either ie: wirebrush or blasting as you can peen over cracks or start them ) , but thats were I learned the term "float test" if you looked at the hours in application and if it had a questionable life or wear pattern we would Say" throw it in the lake and see if it floats , if it does its ok ." MY professor told us about being super anal with aircraft Items as he put it" you cannot pull over on a cloud and park a 747 to fix it . "

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    itsonsucka likes this.
  10. partssaloon

partssaloon

Nucor (small n on the head) and Lake Erie (LE on the head) are USA made with US Steel.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Good tip. If you have trouble finding quality hardware, or you doubt the rating of the bolts available to you, Cat makes their own bolts and they are definitely high quality grade 8, no doubt about it. There's a Cat dealer just about everywhere around this country and around the world.

dirt t likes this.
  12. dirt t

dirt t
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

that's great information. Thanks

13. Hombre

Hombre

I guess I am missing something here. While I don't own stock in any bolt company and don't have a dog in this fight. I have purchased bolts from many different companys. Today I purchase all of my bolts from McMaster Carr but in the past I have purchased from Fastenal and have never had a problem, not at all. To the point though, is not a Grade 8 bolt certified as a Grade 8? And a grade 5 certified as such? is there not a minimum standard for this "Grading" . I mean don't these bolts have to meet some criteria? Or can anyone go into the bolt making business and stamp anything they want to on the head of the bolt and call it done? Seems like a lot of bashing going on here, if it is deserved that is one thing, but if its not then this is a whole nuther deal.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think the complaint is that there are a lot of counterfeit grade 8 (and grade 5) bolts out there. This is not a stretch of the imagination, counterfeit parts, i.e. bearings for instance, are at an almost epidemic level out there in industry at this time, even when sourced from legitimate sources. There is even a massive problem with counterfeit medicine's out there. Why would bolts be impervious to this problem

wraymen likes this.

15. http://calfireweb.fire.ca.gov/library/handbooks/6700/fnf028.pdf (27 years ago)
    http://web.anl.gov/PRO/General Information/webforms/suspect.pdf

http://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/486/ARP-Bolts.html
    http://www.ifsja.org/tech/misc/bolts.html

They do it to medicine too, right down to the bar code and warning label. That to me is beyond criminal. You can't police everything. Boeing, the US Military and countless others have been deceived and I'm sure some failures have cost lives.
    Didn't mean to sound like the sky is falling, just hate to see crooked people/ companies that think dishonesty is a virtue.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  16. Blues4U, ya beat me to it. I forgot all about the bearings.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Speaking of crap, how about those junk bearings that H.F. uses on their caster pivots and axles.

18. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Hope there is no Daewoo in the Cake.

19. itsonsucka

itsonsucka

They bought the ore the scrap and our governments helped by charging US and Canadian companies huge tariffs to buy seconds of steel. American and canadian companies couldn't get rid of steel that scaled or had small lamentations in it or minor imperfections in our own countries . Not without huge costs so over sea it went and while China continued to manufacture crap steel and purchase the natural resources to make it . They also bought the steel from us to sell to us. As well as crush Pittsburgh and Hamilton big steel companies killing the level of quality steel most likely forever.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

20. itsonsucka

itsonsucka

Nucor makes steel buildings and sorry they are out of seconds. It's junk compared to earlier times. Cost to make that product far out weighs the profit so they don't and can't

21. itsonsucka

itsonsucka

Who is regulating the grade of import bolts ? You think they get Rockwell tested at customs they can say whatever cause they govern themselves.

22. cool406

cool406

I would have never thought Ace hardware could be the place to buy quality nuts and bolts for automotive use thanks I will have to pay them a visit

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Isn't "pretty damn close" a metric measurement? I thought SAE was "dead nuts".

24. Fordors

Fordors

I have to agree with stimpy, you can cut a grade eight bolt with a hack saw but it will have a "gummy" feel to it. If the saw blade just glances off it then I would think it is a case hardened bolt, it is tough on the outside for wear properties but will likely snap when impacted.
    It sounds as though the OP was sold G-8 fasteners, exactly what was asked and paid for. What would you want on your suspension or brakes, case hardened fasteners that snap or grade eights that have a high yield strength if put to the test in an accident?

25. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Shif wizards comments on hose clamps: I know slightly off topic however in addition to the hose clamps without the slots in the SS band I source out "ABA"Stainless Steel S40 radiator clamps with "ROLLED" edges that keep the clamp from cutting into the rubber hose. I believe the screw portion is plated carbon steel, this is to help prevent "gauling" of the threads that can happen with SS against SS.(even with anti-seize)

26. Exactly! The whole premise of the original post is wrong . . . and lots of folks have jumped in. I can cut Grade 8 bolts all day long with a hacksaw, carbide bits, cobalt drills, etc.. Heck, I've shortened so many Grade 8 bolts to fit certain applications - not even funny how fast I can do it. Also, I'm going back many decades - this has nothing to do with China. If a Grade 8 bolt was so through-hardened that you couldn't cut it as noted above, it would be so brittle that it would snap off under any sort of sheer condition.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo.

weps likes this.
  28. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Nucor makes more than Steel Buildings. Actually, they started "Nucor Fastener" so that THEY knew how their buildings were being assembled, and with what.

29. I have just spent some time drilling grade 8 bolts to make bushings for the grand kid's pedal car, 1/2" bolt with a 3/8" hole through it. No problem, they do have a harder outer layer but once you get through that they don't cut too bad. I think the bolts we get at work are from Boman but not sure.

30. Good read. Quality seems like a term that's missing nowadays.
    When I was in the Navy, I did a lot of wire tying. It was quite an art. Always had one of those wire tying pliers in my back pocket.