Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone ever seen one of these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Aug 19, 2017.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I rand across this old ad for a beer bar installed in your car. Ever seen one? I'm betting the authorities would frown upon one of these nowadays.

[​IMG]

Stogy, els and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thirsty Officer?:eek:

LOST ANGEL and els like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gotta love it!:D

els likes this.
  4. 1pickup

1pickup

Makes me damn proud to be from Wisconsin!

els, Russco, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Available only in Wisconsin.
    Probably still available today. Under the counter sales only.

6. Been posted a few years ago,I really doubt it would be well excepted today. HRP

els, stanlow69 and scrapiron like this.
  7. els

els

Is that an open container???

8. I actually worked with a guy that prepared his car for a family road trip that way. He used some of that 1/8" I.D. clear fish tank hose into a couple of petcocks in the glove box. It used manifold vacuum to draw beverages into these Tupperware type plastic glasses with snap on lids. A hose in to fill and another nipple/hose up top of the lid connected to manifold vacuum. The only trick was to close the petcock before the fluid reached the top of the glass and the vac nipple at the top. One petcock served hot beverage from a container in the trunk that routed to a copper coil wrapped around the exhaust manifold and the other petcock was served by a cooler of iced beverage, also in the trunk. The co-pilot/wife was the bartender/server. I recall he was all in with the whole, crude system for $15.

He claimed it saved him hours on the road. Don't ask me what he did for potty breaks. I never wanted to know about that.

crashfarmer, els and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. In Texas, back in the days before car a/c, a beer was almost mandatory to survive any trip over 45 minutes so there were no "open container" laws. Fast forward to today and the tradition lives on. Most combo gas station/quick sacks sell iced beer by the can. You buy a can.... they hand you a can sized paper sack..... the police go wink-wink and only enforce any open container statutes if there is additional stupidity.

els likes this.
  10. oj

oj

A local guy that was restoring his Dads' Model A Sedan asked me what those copper tanks were doing under the windows on either side of the car. They had a common outlet at the rear but no why to fill them. They were covered with upholstery, been there all those years and nobody knew it.
    A year into his restoration and he came back to tell me that the car was bought around The Plains, Virginia and that area was notorious for illegal stills. As a dealer installed option you could get a pair of these tanks and haul hooch into D.C. - this was before Uber - for all the 'speakeasies' that served the lawmakers. His dad bought the sedan just as prohibition was repealed, the tank were installed but an inlet was never added, they just covered them up.
    They are still in the car.

crashfarmer, The Shift Wizard and els like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Leinenkugel or Old Style.

partsdawg and els like this.
  12. rfraze

rfraze

Being raised in Texas, I offer additional validation to above beer comment. Not too many years before laws were changed, a "can wrapper" came out. It was marketed under the name of Fool Um'. It was a thin plastic sheet which stuck to a cold moist can. Originally, they had a flowing red and white coloring and had Caco Cola printed on them. Bet I still have one or two here with the "Hook'em Hippies" bumper stickers. (Texas Longhorns reference) Should I mention the drive-in margarita restaurants with to go trays that held 10?

crashfarmer and els like this.
  13. Yes Sir!
    The drive up margarita/frozen daiquiri windows are alive and well. I forgot about those. Your choice of styrofoam cup size..... or gallon jugs, bring your own cups.
    "How hot is it today?"
    "I don't care. I've got my margarita cup."

els likes this.
  14. Canus

Canus

Back in the late 60s I installed a kit in my car that used engine vacuum to pull hot or cold drinks into a plastic cup inserted into the dispenser. Never used it for alcohol and didn't work worth a damn for soda, the vacuum pulled all the carbonation out. Seemed cool at the time.

els likes this.
  15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I remember those, used them too. I used the Dr.Pecker cover myself ;)

Like to find some again....

els likes this.
  16. Man, we get fined here if we DONT have a cold open beer in the car on 43C day!

rfraze and els like this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When we were kids and "had to go" my dad would say, "do it in your boot and throw it out the window!". My mom would then say something to my dad I won't repeat.

els likes this.
  18. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Is there an additional accessory to serve brats from the glove box? Just saying from a guy how had many a cold one at the Pole Cat's Roost in Eau Galle.

els likes this.
  19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

just had this installed in my 2002 silverado the other day. but now Hagerty wont insure my old cars lol

els likes this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I never used to use a bag to hide a beer. My "logic" was that the bag was a dead give away. No one drinks a canned soda from a paper bag. Yea..... drunk logic at it's best.:D

els and Jim Lato like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built next to the Schlitz brewery. The beer that made Milwaukee famous.