Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Car Therapy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Ben38

Ben38
    from Minnesota

You did great. If I make it to Mr Bush's age I hope I have a neighbor like you.

Stogy, 6inarow, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  2. Good stuff take the old guys and the teens out for rides, get them hooked on cars once and for all!

Stogy, mgtstumpy, els and 1 other person like this.
  3. LBCD

LBCD

funny you says teens....my boy got his learners permit today :eek:, here he is 5 years ago :)

aidan41.jpg

Stogy, mgtstumpy, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  4. k9racer

k9racer

I have enjoyed this thread more than anyone could think. Very nice guys for a bunch of Hotrodders.......

Stogy, mgtstumpy, 61Cruiser and 4 others like this.
  5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg here's my friend we had just got back from going to see his Wife at the hospital . She had been involved in a wreck . She is home and recovering very well. He has health issues and forgot about things for a short time as we enjoyed a hour drive there and back. He talked about the cars he had owned and his experiences . It was a great afternoon. Hope I didn't intrude too much on your thread , but how about others sharing their stories and pictures on this topic of car therapy .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Stogy, mgtstumpy, wicarnut and 9 others like this.
  6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Old folks homes and old cars...
    My Dad taught night school at an old folks home. Subject matter is up for grabs.
    It was the early 70's and I wanted to be a mechanic. They had old cars.
    I went and let them know I'd go half in on parts and do the labor for free.
    Also, I had a friend who would bail me out if I got in too deep. I did, he did.
    Anyway, I'd get the car when they died or just didn't want to or couldn't drive anymore.
    They were thrilled that someone wanted the ancestral pile and relieved their heirs of getting rid of it.
    I was in high school driving Buicks, Packards and I even had a La Salle.
    I wish I had one now.

vtx1800, Stogy, 6inarow and 6 others like this.
  7. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LBCD,

This thread made my day - Well done! You truly are a blessing to Mr. Bush. Thank you for your kindness and the inspiration to go out and do this myself. Thanks to my wife who has worked with the elderly for many years, I have a soft spot for old folks. Our culture focuses on the young and so often the old people are discarded and thrown away. Theses folks have a LOT to teach us if we would only pay attention and open our hearts, minds, and ears!

Keep being a blessing to Mr. Bush!

Thor

Stogy, czuch, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  8. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks fellas, another neighbor directly next to Daryl is Rob and he has a 54 Chevy, we are setting up a Derelicts run with Daryl and his daughter in the near future. Rob is one of the nicest neighbors anyone could have...a retired mechanic that will help anyone anytime...maybe we can have a little get together with some SoCal guys in Huntington Beach...stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grreeeaat !

Stogy, mgtstumpy and els like this.
  10. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hambers be the best peoples I knows:D

Stogy, LBCD, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I haven't done the Donut Derelict's run in years! Is it still happening?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, LBCD, mgtstumpy and 1 other person like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-2-5_5-20-11.png
    The entrance is at the top right, with the slow, cruising lane in front of the building and cars.

Hey CCJ,

This event has been going on for quite some time. To me, it is one of the best in So Cal. These hot rodders start showing up before it gets light and keep the noise down as they bump into the driveway. Of course, the regulars, arrive early-birds, and groups always have their “spots.” It is worth a drive from the South Orange County to get there just because it is the biggest gathering in So Cal of older hot rods.
    upload_2018-2-5_5-24-12.png

Sure, there are plenty of Cars and Coffee events all over So Cal. But, if you have seen one “Lambo,” it looks like the one next to it. They all look the same. But, that is a different side to automotive events here and all over. Car enthusiasts have plenty to choose from hot rods to high dollar cars you can barely see out of when driving.

The Huntington Beach Donut Derelicts event has more hot rods and trucks than any other weekly event. The donuts are great and the coffee, usually piping hot. The following is well behaved and all those that attend are conscious of the fact that at anytime, they too, can get shut down. The cars and coffee events have a mixture, but they are not all hot rods (a small percentage) and usually have screwballs that ruin it for everyone.

The original Cars and Coffee event in nearby Irvine had lots of cool cars, but got shut down due to a few “squirrels” in their pseudo, loud, modern cars and poor driving. (another “squirrel in a mustang” is prevalent all over the internet, criticizing these odd balls.)

Jnaki

For now, the Donut Derelicts is worth the drive to get there from all over So Cal. It has the longest staying power of any of the collective, weekly car shows in the area. There have been a few sports cars driving into the lot, but because they are outnumbered by the roadsters, coupes, old trucks and fifties Chevys, there are plenty of exits to leave quietly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Stogy, LBCD, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  13. Maybe next time when you go for a spin with Mr. Bush, you might consider putting a Go Pro or small video camera on the dash so we can all enjoy the stories he has to tell. ;)

Stogy, czuch, 6inarow and 1 other person like this.
  14. LBCD

LBCD

Sorry to bring up an old thread but my good friend Daryl Bush past away a few weeks ago. He was 95 and laid to rest with full military honors this past Monday…Happy Veterans Day to everyone who served! He will be missed ❤️‍

SS327, loudbang, vtx1800 and 12 others like this.
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Rest easy Mr. Bush..
    Sorry about losing your buddy @LBCD . It sounds like he had a good run.

16. LBCD

LBCD

thank you

Stogy, Sharpone and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thoughts and condolences your way @LBCD and to the Bush family and friends in Darrel's passing...I think when you get up there and we're all doing that as it's a perpetual wave we can't avoid, you live day by day and know that time is creeping up on you...

My Mom is not in a Residence and hopes to never get there...Grandma was the same...She's 85 and says she really doesn't worry much about passing...the only thing she worries about is leaving us a big cleanup so she's sizing down, has been for years now...

Anyhow about the Seniors...I often take the Ole Hotrod to Mom's when I do chores around the house...I always ask if she needs anything in town and many times when she does she hops in the Ole Hotrod just like the daily and we putter off to do some shopping or whatever she needs to do...The noise doesn't bother her as her hearing is off anyway...She's probably been in her share of jalopies when she was younger. I know Grandma had an old hearse she got at the wreckers and they all used to jump in it to go swimming at the river...she did the same thing when we were kids to the same bridge at the river...

The car group I have this way does do Seniors runs to homes, I've been to a couple...Heck many in the group are 70+, I'm a spring chicken at 63...:eek:. The Ole Hotrod gets a lot of attention from the older crowd...for many of them it's what they remember...

ChartwellRS.jpg

This was a Chartwell Get together we stayed there for a couple hours...some walked around and looked that could others sat near the door and looked and chatted...we do that a few times a year but weather is always a factor...the only one I made it to this year was a drive through...maybe because of the C thing still around a bit...maybe next year we'll hang and chat instead of wave...

LBCD likes this.
  18. RodStRace

RodStRace

LBCD, I missed this post before and really liked seeing it for the first time, although the reason you brought it back up is a shame. Here's to you for providing a bright spot in so many lives.

Stogy, Thor1 and LBCD like this.
  19. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks I appreciate that

RodStRace and Stogy like this.