Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

2. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

It's just Wade's collection and they're not for sale anyways. The watermark is a "condition" of the photos being made public just to keep honest people honest.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

do you see the Plymouth in the background? I didn't know they built them over there back then !

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack Garys picture but I made a comment that said MAMA MIA ! that didn't print , but I really mean MAMA , MAMA , MIA !!!!

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

We had Canadian Dodge Kingsways, and Plymouth Savoys assembled here. The Dodge was basically a rebadged Plymouth.
    Most were 6's with 3 on the tree
    They were cruisey old boats, I learned to drive in my dad's savoy [he transplanted a V8 in his to tow his race car].

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. They arrived from Canada partially assembled - painted and trimmed - and were finished in NZ with local tyres, heaters, wiring, battery etc.

7. And a few DeSoto Diplomats.

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Yeah! I forgot about them.
    Todd Motors were brilliant at badge engineering.
    The lowly old Humber 80 [shown in the above photo] were examples of a NZ only derivative of the Hillman Minx .
    The Humber 90 was also the same

9. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

look ho
    look how rusty the cars are !!!! my dad said the 57 fords had holes in the fenders 2 years after they were built !!!!!!

10. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

looks like the qutr pnl. been bonded up !!!!!!!

11. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

I grew up in royal oak and went to clara barton too. my dad and I would always go and look at the used cars there in the early 70's. im the old days, they were really good

12. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

13. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

looks like Detroit sh!thole........!!!!

14. swi66

swi66

15. Zeph - Baltimore winters were hard on cars. Dad wouldn't buy Ford cars because those '57s rusted so badly. Damn shame, they are beautiful automobiles. Few seen today.[​IMG]
    Check out the Skyliners going together, make mine black, thanks!

16. JD Miller

JD Miller

Vintage Photoshopped

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Another assembly line pic found while searching. Ford's Lorain, OH Assembly Plant. 1964 Falcon ragtop undergoing the "body drop''.
    [​IMG]

18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-6_4-13-59.png
    Hello,

That photo of the Winternationals in February of 1961 brought back old drag racing memories. This was the first official drag race attendance of my brother since the 3rd degree burns from our 40 Willys explosion and fire. From August 13, 1960 to early February, 1961, my brother was recuperating in the hospital.

Upon his release to go home, the immediate thing he wanted to do was to go to the first official “Winternationals” in Pomona the following week. He had been reading about the big West, drag racing event from the weekly Drag News newspaper that I brought to him during the recovery.

It was about a 45 minute drive to Pomona from Long Beach and we went on the last day. We took the 58 Impala, but it had been previously set up with the 4:56 gears from the previous Friday night drag race/cruise in Long Beach. So, the gears made the drive on the freeway a little hectic.

We were in that photo somewhere watching from the front row parking spot on the sidelines. After spending the whole day there, the trip home was bittersweet as we discussed that this was the last drag race he wanted to attend.

Jnaki

The 4:56 gears in the 58 Impala were so tight that on the freeway, the revs were way up. The placement of the stock gear selector was in the final drive of the new C&O stick hydro, but looked like it was in 2nd gear of the stock, 3 speed stick. We had many hot rodders drive by the car grabbing our attention about the gear shift lever being in the wrong place.

They all made the motion of shifting the white ball lever down, “into 3rd gear.” Little did they know that our Impala had a C&O Hydro and that it was in the final gear of the transmission…

It was just those 4:56 gears in the rear that made it sound and look like we were in second gear of the stock 3 speed manual transmission. We chuckled and thanked each driver with a wave and an ok… 4:56 gears are excellent for drag racing and short cruising around. But, for a long, freeway, high speed cruise, the 3:55 or at least our other 4:11 gears would have been much nicer.

Upon returning to our house, our mom had a “fit” about going to a drag race, so close to the recovery. But, when my brother told her that it was the last drag race for him, she was a little mollified and rambled on about teenagers, hot rods, and drag racing. Parents….sheesh!

19. 4everblue

4everblue

I don't know what women you are referring to as all those links show race cars but there was a period in the fifties where women looked like crap and it was all due to the clothes and especially hairstyles. A real shame as women had some great hairstyles in the forties. This was the only shot I had with a car in it. 40's.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.