Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Summit Vs Jegs vs. RockAuto vs.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks again Anthony that's 3 for Summit within an hour, they must be doing something good .

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Baumi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Can you call these places up and tell them your car make and year and they send you out a paper catalog pertaining to your needs like OPG. Or is that something of the past or non existent?

3. Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

My best friend works a OPG and gave me a catalog just for my Skylark and It was pretty impressive.

5. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

6. Summit will, they have one car cataluoge, one tool cataluoge
    Speedway has a few different ones, they are kinda stingy about sending all of them unless you have a real big order. They will send you anyone you want.

Order something and the lates usually gets stuffed in the box with lots of cheesy stickers too

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Lol hey I like stickers hahaha

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thank you Sir.

9. Slopok

Slopok

I would imagine it's gonna be hard to get Packard parts no matter who you purchase from.

54vicky, brad2v and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  10. a visit to the warehouse is cool
    the one in Ga has a car show on Mondays
    they have a section for catalog returns...super cheap deals
    I got 3 inch drop spindles for my bus for $200.....they were boxed for the wrong year
    8mm wire sets for $7
    comp cam timing sets $7
    cams $45 new in the box
    one guy bought a weld up 6 point roll cage kit for $75

11. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I have a 65 Skylark too. I've been getting phone numbers off guys who sell Packard parts and been putting them in a folder. There is also a man in San Diego who has been collecting and selling Packard parts for a while at good prices. But gee'z some guys want a left nut for Packard parts but I still want to have kids. Pm me if you need the man in San Diegos #. Thiers also another guy but I forget where he is but I know I can remember.

12. Sound like a "give away" not a sale @ 58 a set

image.png

13. rjays.com is the one. Alliance vendor, too.

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Do you work for summit because It looks like your trying to make me a Summit man, just playing brother. But those are damm good prices.

15. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Heck yeah cant go wrong buying from the alliance. Thanks for clearing that up Rich. Have a cool day

16. no
    I went to a paint cert class in Atlanta
    the best part was the Summit visit. The return area looked like women at a shoe sale

brad2v and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I quite often go to the Rock Auto Site and find the part number for the the name brand that is the "good" stuff and then search that part number online. If the Rock Auto price beats the others including shipping I order it but I always comparison shop online and compare that to local prices. Sometimes paying a couple of bucks more for the part plus tax locally is still less than the part and shipping.
    On chassis parts for our older rigs I find that if you get the part number and then search it on Ebay you often find the top brand part for pocket change from the people who buy out store or warehouse inventory and list it on Ebay without much research. A lot of those guys seem to just post the part number a photo of the box and a starting price without any info on what it fits. If you search for it by application it doesn't come up but if you search the part number it pops up with the rest of the same part number items and lets you compare.
    I have maybe bought one or two items from Jegs since I got on the internet. Mainly I just don't go on their site to look. I get a few parts from Speedway but usually just use their catalog for research on a part number. That may change the deeper I get into redoing my Model A I buy enough from Summit that they keep sending Catalogs.
    I'm another Amazon prime shopper and always check their prices against the rest.
    Lately it has been the small specialty vendors who have got my coin. Tom Langdon, 12 Bolt Tom, another seller who specializes in 250/292 Chevy six pieces. They had what I wanted for my 292.
    It's still as several others said, Comparison shop on everything that is available from several sources including the shipping costs. You haven't saved anything if you get a low price but pay through the nose for shipping.

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hahaha women at shoe sale

bobss396 and brad2v like this.
  19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks @Mr48chev I always appriciate and respect your posts.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

When shopping on Amazon, where the 3rd party sellers get thier stuff from? Should I not care as long as the part # matches up?

21. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

You're still paying shipping aren't ya? Isn't that what I said?

22. They buy it from the exact same place that auto zone purchasing department or advanced or o rielies or summit get it from. Some times it's stocked in an Amazon distribution center and sometimes it's drop shipped.

Rock auto uses other auto suppier's warehouses to complete orders. Mostly Car Parts Warehouse's supply chain. The CPW warehouse guys pack totes for the stores and boxes for rock auto

23. My go to is usually Summit or Speedway, I have bought from Jeggs, comparable prices but both speedway and Summit beats them on shipping cost and delivery time.

24. I pay shipping on everything regardless of where it comes from.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. part # 57-341478-1
    Chevy Small Block Rams Horn Manifolds, Ceramic Black
    116.46 + shipping was $140 total for the black ceramic coated
    the plain ones was $57.99 + $24 shipping a set with hardware
    I bought them in February

26. yes
    there were 5.0 roller cams for $60
    a complete disc brake set up with 2 inch drop spindles for an x frame GM was around $250

27. I just went round and round with my commercial parts rep at advanced.
    They stock 1/2 the square footage of the store with seat covers and junk but not the small parts that will keep a car off the road, like a special O ring used on a few hundred million cars. My cost on a late model oil pump assembly was $395.00, Amazon was $96.00. Cheap wheel bearing 165 list price each- my price was 105 each- Amazon was $55 a pair. O2 sensors were 116 list each my price was 72 each after I bitched and Amazon was $44 a pair. 22 each.

I told him listen,,, if I need to wait till tomorrow to get a part from you then I'm going to wait 2 days and pay 50-75% less to cover the rent on floor space. You're selling less parts because they are cheap. Since you're selling less you need to make more on each part and raise the prices there by shooting yourself in the foot making them cheaper. He said our cost is blah blah blah ,,, I cut him off and said listen- then buy from Amazon, mark it up 30% and it's still WAY under your current cost. Get with it or you'll be gone.

54vicky, 5window, Saxman and 2 others like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Rock Auto will tell you where the stuff they are selling is coming from.

That said, I'm a Summit fan. Fuck, since the first thing I bought from them out of HR Mag in about '77 or '78. COD'd to my door for 68.00, was supposed to be a 780 vac sec Holley.

8 months later I found out it was a 750.

I wrote them a letter.

They sent me 10 dollars back...a check, not store credit.

But use RA a lot as well.

And Amazon, since I have a prime thing.

Main thing is, if you wan quality, research it hard, if you need to get by, find the least expensive and roll.

My only experience with Jegs, a buddy was making an order...I needed a set of leaf pads 2-1/4 wide for a 3 inch housing, I selected what they had..he ordered it.

I got 3inch wide pads for a 3 inch housing. The Box they sent me showed this..the p/n I ordered was on the tag.

They told me tough luck. I said fine.

They lost my pittance after that.

Donuts & Peelouts and brad2v like this.
  29. The hardware needed to build our stuff does not exist anymore under one roof I had to use 4 stores plus searching for the parts myself to plumb my brakes on the bus. Next time I will plan ahead and order fittings online Amizon WM.com and rockauto is hard to beat when you don’t need the part yesterday. Why pay more for a cheap badly engineered part when ya don’t have to

30. Budget36

Budget36

No. Yes...lol.

If you needed a sturdy box...and found that p/n 2502 was that box on say AC Delco site.

But that box cost 30 bux plus the ride to you.

Then you went to EBAY and could get that box for 15 bux to your door, same P/N.

You get the box and it crumbles in your hand.

Did you get a good deal?

So, pays to research.