Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jimmy Summers 1936 full fadeaway custom rescue and resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Looks like there must have been stuff/accumulation of something holding moisture between the x frame and floor pan on the first one. Before I expanded the pic on my phone it looked like a bunch of bolt holes!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Loving what I've seen so far, I hope the whole restoration was documented to this detail.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Wow, great save Jon and Jim. I wonder how many people walked away from it sitting in the field thinking this car will never be restored.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  4. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its like you are Indiana Jones and the temple of rust.

40two likes this.
  5. Those lines of rust are where the wood braces bolted to the underside, same on the trunk floor; the X frame bolt holes are further out.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is a wonderful thread.

I'm really impressed by the quality of the workmanship, especially in an era that wasn't exactly known for impeccable coachwork. Keep up the good work

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jimmy_Summers

:rolleyes:...he was quite a high bar coachworker and more...at the link above are a comprehensive record of his greatness in Hotrod and Custom...

Outback, Woogeroo, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  8. Rikster

Rikster

For those who would like to know a bit more about the history of this car, HERE is an article I did on the history of this Jimmy Summers 1936 Ford. Showing most of the historic photos that are known.

rod1, Nobey, Okie Pete and 11 others like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I’ll be darn, I’ve never had 35-40 cars, just pickups. Only wood underneath was for cab mounts along the top of the frame.
    Thanks for the info

10. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Thanks for the link

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/early-custom-cars/summers-merc-part1/

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/early-custom-cars/summers-merc-2/

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/summers-merc-3/

:rolleyes:...Your welcome Chipper, here's a few more links from @Rikster'a site with pics, history and a more comprehensive history of Jimmy's Custom Merc...;)

This man was an incredible influence in the big picture...and also drove what he built...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  12. jim snow

jim snow

Great story. Thanks for the link. Snowman ⛄️

pprather and Stogy like this.
  13. Rikster

Rikster

From Jim...

OK, with the sub rails and floor handled, it was time to start fixing the cowl.

We took the bottom 6 inches from the crushed donor body and grafted them to our cowl.
    Jon then made some very basic angle brackets that were exactly like the ones Jimmy Summers used in 1940.
    This is a place where a lot of builders try to get crafty and show off their fabrication skills and over engineer things.

Our goal here was to put the car back exactly as it was.
    Nothing better, nothing worse.

Jimmy-Summers-36-Ford-IMG_4874 copy.jpg

Jimmy-Summers-36-Ford-IMG_4876.jpg

14. Nothing short of an amazing save! Loved seeing the car at the GNRS. Fantastic in person!

15. another one saved, looks terrific ! my hats of the crew that brought it back.. well done !

Stogy and williebill like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

The way it should be, too, with a historical car like this. To try to "improve" it would only serve to spoil it.

17. I'm sure glad I didn't find the car. If I had, the thread would have been titled "Watch me take all this extra stuff (crap) off a beautifully chopped 3 window"...and I'd have totally f@#ked up a historical custom with cool history.

Great thread to watch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Outback, jim snow and pprather like this.
  18. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

These are a couple of my favorite vintage photos of the car. 6B01C5CB-A0AC-45F3-A191-F1AF2ACFDBD3.jpeg 4E7FE498-C052-4065-B603-BC7CE3BB3C95.jpeg

Nobey, Outback, Okie Pete and 17 others like this.
  19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

VERY cool coupe. Are there any updates? Someday, I'd like to put full fade-aways on my 41 Pontiac Streamliner.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    Stogy, Okie Pete, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

Is there more restoration photos of this car? I was really enjoying following along with the work that had been done. I know it's finished now but I would really love to see more of the details of how it was repaired, have been hoping to see this get updated for months.

Stogy, Thor1, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  22. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are more updates and photos on the following thread:
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/where-is-the-jimmy-summers-36-fadeaway-coupe/

If you just want the short answer, it is now fully restored and made it's debut at the 2022 GNRS:
    o8s3nkr37g6dt2zy0rcwa8kuvou5iiqz.jpg 8t01dokol5h8ug6dax3nju9ipumbizzp.jpg 8cn34gvi0ck50t6geho13mixh8dz1qyf.jpg

~Peter

23. What a great looking piece of history and a great comeback story.

51 mercules, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

The CustomCarChronicle page shows a few more rebuild pics, which are great, but I was really hoping to see more step by step restoration photos of this car's rebuild, considering how incredibly rough it was as a starting point, I'd like to see how it was done and how much they were able to save. The handful of bare metal pics on the CCC site sure makes it look like they were able to save a surprisingly large amount of the original car.

25. Squablow

Squablow

Just going to copy and paste my previous comment, if there are more in-depth restoration photos from this car I'd really love to see them. I love the finished product but I'd really like to see more of the build pics.

Baumi and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

27. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I finally got to see the car since I posted it ,Wonderful restore turned out so NICE wish I could get my 36 done 36ford primer.jpeg

reagen, Okie Pete, drdave and 3 others like this.
  28. Rand Man

Rand Man

Love the fadeaways. That’s a cool car.

Okie Pete likes this.