Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2022 Detroit Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derbydad276, Feb 4, 2022.

1. 38mag

38mag

I heard the people mover won't be running, bummer.

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

@jim32 Good luck,I’ve made that run twice. Makes for a long day into the night.

3. ...That kinda sucks. Any word on what the issue is?

brady1929 likes this.
  4. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Yes, we know but it's the best we can do. Amtrak has reduced its schedule and without the people mover, mass transit is no longer an option.
    I was having with drawl just thinking about missing Detroit again this year!

5. 38mag

38mag

No COBO Joes either, a real bummer!
    See you all in the BASEMENT.

chryslerfan55 and jim32 like this.
  6. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man, I like your style.
    Dunno if I can afford it, but I like it! :D

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Anybody going to be there early Friday that can help me out with a exhibitors pass?
    I go there early to get the tickets for a group of students from my old school. This saves them time at check in. Once I have the tickets, I sit around until they arrive, I hand off the tix to their teacher and chaperones and then I'm off duty again. I hate to have to wait until the show opens.
    If anyone can help me out, please message me with a phone number and we can make arrangements to meet.

Thanx,

Bruce

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. ..............Ha, no kidding. I don't live like that every day for sure. The Detroit Autorama had been on my bucket list since I was about 15, reading about the Alexander Brothers, The Ridler Award and all of the great stuff at the show. I finally made it in March of 2020 just before the world turned upside down. Figuring it might be my only chance, I treated myself to a fine meal and walked away with no regrets.:)......Don.

9. Friday at opening- noon I think- is the way to go. Entertainment doesn’t usually start till later. Not usually as crowded as the other days, but you only get the half day for full price, as memory serves. Bee line to the basement and take your pictures in the first round. You get first crack at the vendors, everyone seems upbeat. I won’t be making any judgments about safety- I expect it means different things to different people, but think I can likely wait till next year. If you have never been, it is a highlight.

10. Schedule says the twistin tarantulas aren’t expected until Saturday.

jim32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy the experience of walking to the Coney Island for lunch. It's a few blocks away, the air is a little chilly, the streets might be a little windy. Usually a fair number of other people walking. A couple of blocks north on the first street east of the show, and hang a right on Lafayette Street. It's down there on the left.
    Oddly... and many of you know this... there are two Coney Islands right next door to each other. Something about two brothers or friends who had a falling out. I've always gone to the one on the left, LOL. No reason.
    But I like the busy city-type of buzz that the place has. A "cheeseburger! cheeseburger! cheeseburger!" kind of vibe LOL. I'm usually sitting elbow to elbow with others at the long counter. One of the young cooks can whistle like a bird... amazingly well... and frequently does. A little talk, some laughter, some indigestion... it's great.

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

On Paul Harvey, he said there were 3 donut shops on one block. One came up with a slogan-best donut shop in town. They were the busiest. Then later, another said- the best donut shop in the state. Then they were the busiest. The last one came up with---the best donut shop on this block. You guessed it. Then they were the busiest.

14. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

Mine would put the others out of business. "Rat Free"

15. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Oh well, we just have to listen to their CD's on the 4 hour ride to Detroit.
    Thanks daylatedollershort.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. I think that's why I started going to the Lafayette Coney Island instead of the American Coney Island. Very first time I did this, I didn't want a $5 pretzel. I said to myself... This is a major city. There's got to be some place to eat not far from here. I just started walking. I asked the first likely suspect I encountered... a big brother just getting into his car... Is there a good place to eat within walking distance? He said... "Oh yeah... go up the street here, hang a right, Lafayette Coney Island, the one on the left..."
    Then he added...
    "... best restaurant in the city!"
    :D

And of course I look forward to seeing some of you and all the glitzy stuff upstairs and all the cool stuff in the basement.

First time I've been allowed off my chain for quite some time. Same for a lot of us! Yay! Finally!

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I was planning on skipping this year, which would be my first skip in 15 years, but then I heard the Hirohata is going to be there, so now I have to go.

I'll be out there Thursday through the weekend. Looking forward to seeing friends from all over the country, some great cars, and some excellent food. I can already taste the offerings from Grand Trunk Railroad, the coney islands, Astoria Bakery, and Atwater Block Brewery. Not to mention the dozens of new, hip places that have sprouted up recently.

chryslerfan55 and jim snow like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ricky Elliot weatherman here.

Looks like mid 30s and cloudy and fairly calm on Friday.
    "CLALM" weather.

About 40 degrees, breezy and rainy throughout the day on Saturday.
    "BRAINY" weather.

But it's gonna be over 50 degrees fairly mild and sunny on Sunday.
    "MUNNY"

I think I'll probably go Sunday.

Now, a word from our sponsors...

chryslerfan55 and 55Belairman like this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

my first was the 50th, i believe they had the alexander bros featured.

i went up there with tony and suzy. even with going thru a mcd drive thru for a quick breakfast, tony cut it to 3 hours, triple digits on the speedo is the key.

chryslerfan55 and jim32 like this.
  20. silent rick

silent rick

denise's after parties were the best

57JoeFoMoPar, pprather and jim32 like this.
  21. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

You are right about Denise's parties.
    We won't be driving like Tony, but we will get there and back without the drama.

chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I miss Sonny Eliot, the best weatherman ever and war hero too.

https://detroithistorical.org/learn/encyclopedia-of-detroit/eliot-sonny

R.I.P. Sonny.

chryslerfan55 and Rickybop like this.
  23. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Sonny-ism: Ingadingadine.

derbydad276, 55Belairman and Rickybop like this.
  24. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Be there all day Friday!

25. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I think the HAMB needs to have a meet and greet on Friday, anyone else interested?

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm in

jim32 likes this.
  27. You forgot "ringa". Inga-dinga-ringa-dine

28. flatjack

flatjack

Will be there Friday and Saturday. Bummer about the People Mover. Going to stop at the EV8 Museum on the way over.

chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be there. Not sure when, not sure where, but at least 2 days worth. Used to stop and get Motz cheeseburgers, but they're gone now.

Edit: ok, net search shows they're still there. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  30. Just found out my brother will have both of his cars in the “Cavalcade of Customs”... Wish I could make it this year. :(