Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Biscayne Jr Stocker for the Street Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Stock Racer, Mar 15, 2022.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Stock Racer like this.
  2. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Yes. The car didn't come with one but I've acquired a couple fenders and a hood. I'm still looking for a R.F. inner fender.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

4. 6sally6

6sally6

383 stroker.......cammed-up...2 1/2 exhaust....FIVE speed(so ya can afford to drive it).... 3.73:1 gear.
    Lie to everybody and tell'em it's a strong running 327 YOU built!
    6sally6

5. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Yep, definitely going to be a 327. Still mulling over the transmission.

6. I don't know if we've met..I did live in Div. 3 for 5 years.
    Your title seem to dictate a tribute or weekend warrior period piece..Not sure why the talk about dog dish caps.
    Sounds to me like painted wheels here ;-) 409.jpg

7. footbrake

footbrake

I'd go 454,4000 convertor,3.73's and away we go

enloe, Stock Racer and SS327 like this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

THREE-TWO-SEVEN/4-GEAR/4.11 POSI/SUN TACH ON THE COLUMN/TRI-GUAGES UNDER DASH/
    DAY-2 CHROME REVERSE/SLIGHTLY NOSE-HIGH STANCE/7 FIN VETTE VALVE COVERS & MATCHING LOUVERED AIR CLEANER/LAKE PLUGS/ 7"CHEATERS ON BLACK STEELIES IN THE TRUNK/SATIN-SILVER POLY/RED INTERIOR!!

Screw a buncha automatics, 5-speeds, & highway gears! We ain't here for the ice cream, we're here to kick some ass!

Been buildin' this exact car in my head since about 1969! Just a suggestion of course.......:D GLWB!

9. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I did twins, a 409" and a 327", both 4 speeds. Both fun, in different ways...how ever you decide
    it will be fun to drive...
    4 cars (2).JPG

5w32, Torkwrench, Shalamo and 21 others like this.
  10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Street racing, put a power glide in it. Then you can pull it in high gear and start spraying it !

enloe likes this.
  11. There's just something about rowing gears on the street...with that "ocasional" right foot planted pull to second...makes me grin ;). Just sayin'...if there is an opportunity for voting.

12. It really is a killer looking car…

Stock Racer and loudbang like this.
  13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had several small blocks with 097 solid cams. One my 57 Fuely and a 62 340HP corvette. No big issues with 097-sounds good and runs great-yeah there are more modern cams but 097 is very livable on the street and does'nt require constant adjustments--only maybe a couple of "flyers" when you really lean on it a good bit.

14. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Back in the day..1960's and 70's I used the 097 solid lifter cam (It was the 1957 283 270 hp two 4 bbl. cam)...in my Nomad.
    Most of the cam companies...Crane, etc, made their version of it. But could buy the original at dealers for less than $50

Also street cars cam used a lot.... was the 66 Nova 327/350 hp, hydraulic lifter cam. Both cams had nice (but not crazy) rump rump for everyday driver cars.

15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Wicked cool car you are putting together. I have been enjoying the 327-muncie-3.70 gear drivetrain in the 57 since '09. 3.36s now because i grenaded the 3.70, 4.10s late this year. Good combination I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with it.
    @Shain the Nova cam you are referring to is the L79 327/350 hp. Many variations nowadays but original spec cam produces outstanding power and has the coolest idle

16. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Mark is correct, no poverty caps here. Don't get me wrong, they look great but I'm going for that 60's Jr Stocker look so It's 15x4 Cragar SS up front and 15x8 painted Steelies out back. Tires in the pic's are just roller's. Gonna run 9x28 slicks. IMG_3784.jpg IMG_3785.jpg

17. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

No Big Block here but my 4.11's are close.

18. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Other than colors, your readin my mind. I like how you think!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like a solid body, I'd use a Muncie 4 speed tranny

Stock Racer, Dustyp489 and loudbang like this.
  20. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Nope, no glide and absolutely no spray.

Torkwrench, 48fordnut, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  21. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Out with all the old rear suspension today. It wasn't nearly as fun as I thought it would be:). Sure glad this isn't an
    Ohio car. Time for a cold one.
    IMG_3786.jpg IMG_3787.jpg IMG_3790.jpg

22. Ha..If you think the Jr. Stock thing might be a bit lost to some here, wait till you go to a cruise night. I had a guy walk by my 56 Cat. He stops.."Look son, he must pull this one around to the shows behind his motor home" :rolleyes: IMG179.jpg

23. thehazguy

thehazguy

Good luck. I like the Jr Stock theme. Street driven and nasty. Love it 57 ID starting line-22.png

My 57 Jr Stock tribute street driven Friday Night Gamblers & Nostalgic racer. Poor mans Jr Stocker. Cragar SS up front, painted steelie's on the rear. Solid 12.80 car, 12.90 in the heat. Nasty street car for what it is.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

Understood, huge Hondura's Maroon or Black fan myself! Kinda thought the silver might lessen the intimidation factor for prospective ducks.......:cool: :D

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

Bob, the one I had (283) early 80's, coulda made 'em triplets! :D

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

Which ever mill you drop in, it's already cool.

Stock Racer and loudbang like this.
  27. Jones St.

Jones St.

HD front springs/one wrap snipped off the rears. Nab one of those urethane-billet carrier bearing (*ebay $70.00) s-l1600.jpg

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Your Biscayne has some good roots. The Biscayne came from the factory as a simple good looking stock car for the businessman’s daily driver. Simple, reliable, usually no frills, not even some carpet on the floors. Yet, it was a popular model, if done right. As teenagers, more power was doing it right. Your choices of power is up to you. But… the stories about a 409 always sends shivers down memory lane.

We had some experience with a 1962 Chevy Biscayne. It was the first 409 for all of our age group. Instantly, it became the top dog in the whole area. 360 hp was not anything to mess around against, when knowing the odds of winning against it. The 409 was a first and everyone knew who, why and how of going against the Red Biscayne.

If people were smart, they would have challenged the 409 Biscayne the instant the car showed up. We knew the owner and helped him in his choice. But, he was a novice using the 4 speed, Positraction, 409. Hey, that sounds like song…
    upload_2022-3-17_4-1-16.png

Just idling by and then sitting in the 409 Biscayne in the drive-in restaurant parking lot was impressive enough. People with hot cars would cruise by, look, be awed, and move on through to the exit. We knew the power behind the intimidating red 409. As the word spread, the red Biscayne moved to the top of the fast car list in our area.

If he had gone to the local Lion’s Dragstrip, he would have seen plenty of similar 409 stock racers doing their weekly thing in the different classes. But, our friend was not into drag racing and just wanted a cool car to do the cruising scene.

Jnaki

After we were with him for his first lesson in shifting, coordinating his power starts and speed shifting through the gears, he was impressed, but still just liked cruising. Impressed as we were, it was nice having a new car smell that had tons of power to back up anything that came across the drive-in restaurant parking lot area every Friday/Saturday nights.

With all of the drag racing/hot rod history in Bixby Knolls, the red 1962 409 Biscayne was the “King Of The Hill” for a year or so, (without actually racing…) until we all went away on our next level of the long life’s journey.

Earlier post:

Hello,

It was 1962, we were seniors in high school and most of us had our teenage cars for several years. I was the owner of my brother’s 58 Impala and it was now a 5 year old car with some modifications, like a Racer Brown Cam/Kit, C&O Stick Hydro, some headwork, and other accessories. So, it was now the fastest car for the last several years in our neck of the woods.

But, our friend wanted a new car and he had never owned any car. We used to cruise around in his mom’s Red T-Bird and that was a different kind of fun. Now, he was considering his own car and along with another friend who owned a 57 Bel Air with the most modifications of any of our teenage cars, we all sat around and came up with several new cars that might do the trick for our friend.
    upload_2022-3-17_4-2-21.png
    “In 1961, the coolest 2 door hardtops were on the scene for us teenagers. Money was tight, most of us had our teenage cars in place, and we all went to the local dealers to look at the best of the new car options. Not only did the Chevy Impalas come with a big 409 motor, but the wait list for the most popular model the Impala 2 door hardtop was many months down the line. The 409 had 360 hp from the factory. That surpassed anything we had as teenagers and it came from the dealer, just down the street.”

“But, not only was it a powerhouse sedan, but, the cool hardtop styling was pretty nice in addition to the big 409/4 speed combination. My 58 Chevy Impala was fast, modified to win races and was my daily driver. But, after 3 years, the next step was available with the cool hardtop design. Most commonly known as a bubble top sedan. The extra horsepower and a cool 4 speed would have been the coolest and fastest in our So Cal area.”

“No, this 61-62 Biscayne did not “legally” race a black Impala for all the marbles, except for a couple of practice runs. On those runs, the Impala with the modifications and C&O Stick Hydro transmission would be out to a two car lead before the 409 Biscayne got situated and came charging along. But, seeing the 6 red taillights of the 58 Impala told him it was too late to come to the party. All fun and laughter among friends is how it stayed, until we all left for greener pastures and sold our cars to the next generation of teenagers wanting a big surprise.”

After the purchase of the red 409, the 57 Bel Air friend and I spent a lot of time with the 409’s owner. It was a whole new ballgame with so much power at hand. So, countless hours of cruising around learning to speed shift, starting at the right time in hand drops and green light actions were constantly gone over to get his tactics correct.

He was a good learner and at the end, he decided that he was not into Lion’s Dragstrip competition, but just wanted a local teenage cruiser and fast daily driver. Music to our ears. Now, we all had different variations of fast street daily drivers and it would be fun to cruise around in the So Cal teenage locations.

One night, we were talking about trading cars for the next evening. We would all drive someone else’s cars and have fun doing it. Trust is something that was earned and it happened with the situation as good teenage friends. As we were ready to exchange the three cars, but, we could not decide who’s car would be driven by one of us.

Jnaki

I wanted to be in the 409 4 speed Biscayne. The owner wanted to be in my 58 Impala with the updated powerful modified motor and C&O Stick Hydro. So, that left out the friend in his own 57 Chevy. We kept going over the rotation of the three cars. The only solution was for me to be in the 409, the 409 owner in the modified 57 Bel Air, and the Bel Air owner in the 58 Impala. At different times, we had all driven each other's cars with the other two inside each time.
    upload_2022-3-17_4-3-25.png
    As we sat around going over the rotation, we got more excited and the sound carried over to the next room. That sounded good for all of us, but the 57 Bel Air owner’s parents got wind of it and nixed the whole deal. Teenagers are not covered driving someone else’s cars on their family insurance policy. No ifs, ands, or buts... in this case.

So, other than our first encounter of teaching our friend to shift the 4 speed and control starts in his 409, being behind the wheel of the 409 was an exciting experience for me. The horsepower of the 409 was tremendous, so, the envy was growing by leaps and bounds.

Since we were all reaching the end of our high school experiences and the future was still up in the air for all of us, no mention of getting a new 1962 409 Impala was in the air for me.

upload_2022-3-17_4-4-1.png 1962

29. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Now THAT would be cool!! Bob

slowmotion likes this.
  30. Truckedup

Truckedup

300/327 4 speed wide ratio, 355 gears. The 300 is the best engine Chevy made, smooth and fast enough sensible driving