Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Packard 115 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zzrodney, Dec 12, 2021.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Wow, you're not messing around. Check out the rest of the property for the decklid, any remains is a start.

loudbang likes this.
  2. zzrodney

zzrodney

Trying to get as much done as I can before going to Az for the winter, also running up against the supply chain holdups, waiting for parts. When I get the body home in April, things will get serious, want to have the frame ready to drop it on. It will need a full floor and substructure, wood removal, etc. Also going to do a mild top chop similar to the yellow coupe. I have a line on a 46 Ford trunk lid, they are a similar shape though much larger than the Packard one, so I may be able to harvest enough good metal from it to do the job.

3. zzrodney

zzrodney

Got the engine mounted, had to make a jog in the crossmember to get around the steering box, first try was a fail - the pitman arm hit the crossmember, so I had to rework it. Decided to mock up the power adder for inspiration - 871 BDS, 10% underdrive to keep things sorta sane.... I don't have the 750 blower carbs yet so those are just a couple of stand-ins so I could perch the scoop on top. It could just fit under the hood with some low profile air cleaners, but where's the fun in that?? At least it's a roller now...

IMG_3559.jpg IMG_3560.jpg IMG_3561.jpg

4. j hansen

j hansen

5. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Oh yeah! Nuthin' like a supercharged Packard to wipe your blues away!!

loudbang likes this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

'NOW I unner'stand' why all the heavy-doody/over-build on the chassis!!
    "Big block with'a huff'a"!!
    That engine would twist most frames like a pretzel.
    Nice job so far;)
    6sally6

7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

And j hansen's avatar...

8. Tutashen

Tutashen

Lmao yeps brings back memorys of when you could do other things than clean the shop an look for something to sand :)

39McLaughlin and j hansen like this.
  9. zzrodney

zzrodney

Finally got the body home, along with a pile of parts, 7 fenders, 3 grille shells, 3 doors, 2 hoods and a whole lot of smaller parts, also a couple 40 Packard trunk lids that I should be able to cobble together to re-create the missing coupe trunk lid. Squeezed it all into my little trailer for now 'till the other coupe is out of the shop in a couple weeks, then it will get mounted on the chassis at last. IMG_3754.JPG IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3752.JPG IMG_3757.JPG IMG_3762.JPG IMG_3778.JPG

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to following this build!

11. zzrodney

zzrodney

Got the body into a dry shop for the first time in years. First thing to do will be to cut out the floors, along with the wood subrails, so it can sit on its new frame for the first time. IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3825.JPG IMG_3826.JPG

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking forward to seeing you start working your magic on this Packard. Are you going to finish Hercules first?

13. zzrodney

zzrodney

Yeah, I've given myself an October deadline to take it south with me, so it will get priority..

14. zzrodney

zzrodney

Got the floor out, lotsa fun removing the wood sills and other lumber, cut the wheelwells since it will get mini tubs, likely just widening the stock tubs. Added some tube bracing before cutting to keep everything squareish. The rear will sit a bit higher with the 30" tall M&H cheater slicks if Coker Tire ever gets them produced, waiting for delivery since Aug 2022! I also have a rear tailpan from a sedan that is better than the mangled one on this body. IMG_3900.JPG IMG_3902.JPG IMG_3901.JPG IMG_3870.JPG

15. zzrodney

zzrodney

After finishing another hotrod project, its time to get back on the Packard. Removed and straightened the rocker panels, fixed some rot, and welded them back on, eliminating the factory seams at the front and where they meet the quarter panel. Building a new floor structure and body mounts from 1x2 and 1x1 tubing, working my way to the rear. Squared up the rear of the body and braced it then cut out what was left of the trunk floor. I was going to use the other tailpan I have to replace the messed up one on this body, but its pretty crispy and by the time I straighten it and fix the rot, I might as well have made a new one - so that's what's going to happen. Also got a roof skin from a 96 Grande Marquis today to fill the top. IMG_4386.JPG IMG_4389.JPG IMG_4407.JPG IMG_4408.JPG IMG_4409.JPG IMG_4410.JPG IMG_4406.JPG IMG_4241.JPG

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hot Rod's Rule .... nice work.

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work, Charlie! I plan to use/steal a lot of these when I start on my Packard. Keep those details coming.

18. zzrodney

zzrodney

Thanks Rock!
    Working on putting the roof skin on today, first melting off the old rotten lead from the seams. I didn't like the big ditch revealed on both sides where they made a lap joint, bashed it in and leaded it, so I cut it out on both sides, put in some new metal. Trimmed an fitted the filler piece and got it tacked in place. Lots more hammering and welding to do, but it fits the shape of the roof pretty nicely. IMG_4417.JPG IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4420.JPG IMG_4422.JPG

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a nice fit. I scored the roof of a 53 Rambler coupe that I will use for mine. According to the templates I made, it is almost perfect. We will see. :D

20. zzrodney

zzrodney

Finished the top insert, just a bit more hammer and dolly work to do. Got to work fixing the rot at the rear of the body and making a new tailpan from scratch. Once the floor is in, the temporary supports around the trunk opening get removed and a new 1" square tube frame will get put in - it originally had all wood framing around the trunk and on the trunk lid. Another challenge will be to make a trunk lid 'cause this body is missing it, and they are next to impossible to find.... IMG_4481.JPG IMG_4475.JPG IMG_4477.JPG IMG_4479.JPG IMG_4484.JPG IMG_4493.JPG IMG_4499.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  21. patsurf

patsurf

heck,that's so pretty that you should make the decklid out of plexi!

Atwater Mike and brEad like this.
  22. Yes he is a skilled fabricator .Should be a great car when completed.

brEad and rockable like this.
  23. zzrodney

zzrodney

Started making the wheel tubs, rolled a small lip on the edges so when the pieces are welded together, its not a sharp 90 edge, got the first one fitted and tacked in place. IMG_4500.JPG IMG_4501.JPG IMG_4503.JPG IMG_4504.JPG IMG_4505.JPG

24. zzrodney

zzrodney

Put the other tub in and welded them both in, also moved the trunk bracing up out of the way to allow me to start putting in the floor pieces. IMG_4508.JPG IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4509.JPG

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work, Charlie!

26. zzrodney

zzrodney

Filling in the blanks.... floor pieces going in starting at the rear, made an access hole to get at the tank, sender, etc. IMG_4519.JPG

27. I am glad that you plugged that hole in the roof ,never dug that covering that would rot and leak thereby trashing the interior.

28. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Don't get the whole covert to a 2 door thing. Makes it a pain to get friends and family in and out of the back seat.

29. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Very cool live your work and the direction your raking it. A manual transmission would be cool too.

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to go to ratrodsrule.com and see the thread. He built a really cool hot rod out of a really ugly 4 door and no, it's not a rat rod. https://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389

aussie57wag likes this.