Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B&M Hydro transmission help to identify

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Jan 9, 2020.

1. steven e ryder

steven e ryder

Picket up this B&M Hydro and plan to adapt it to a 392 Hemi.
    So far I think it was a 57 Chevy truck core and the UC to the right is unblown comp.

I have a Wilcap adaptor plate for Hemi to Chevy but need to find or make the crank shaft spacer.
    Does anyone make these anymore? Can I re-drill the Torus plate for 8 hole pattern with a machined spacer and gasket?

Saw the earlier pictures of the B&M Hemi bell and Torus and wondering if I can get there home grown with a very skilled friend and his Bridgeport.

Reading all the posts I can find on these transmissions but still feel like the guy who slept in the Holliday in Express last night.
    Any info and opinions are much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Deuces and elgringo71 like this.
  2. steven e ryder

steven e ryder

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  3. drumyn29

drumyn29

i have an adapter

Deuces and steven e ryder like this.
  4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have seen adapters for Hydro to Hemi. They probably use the "back" bell housing from either Olds or Pontiac, then provide the "front" adapter bell housing. A crank adapter will also be needed.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either hydro motive or B&M. The only issue is that the B&M looks pretty rusty, meaning that the insides are probably stuck too.
    I am in the process of grafting a hydro to an extended bell 331 hemi. It is much easier as far as an adapter, being it is a plate that accepts the "back" bell housing, then gets bolted to the extended bell housing of the hemi. It will use the hydro flywheel, which will couple to hemi flywheel using an adapter. Starter is hemi, so no adapter needed.
    Having an extended bell housing engine block makes adapters for the hydro much easier to produce. I am also grafting the hydro to Buick nail head, and Packard 374. Both have extended bell housings. Again, these will have hydro and engine flywheels. Starters are from engine manufacturer.
    Both B&M, and Hydro Motive used the slant pan type hydros, since they were the strongest. Another company that did the adaptations was C&O, that I believe was in the Los Angeles area. If I were to do something similar to what you want to do, I would use an R54, R55, or R56 hydro. The valve body was equipped to start in First gear in any of the ranges. The Pontiac hydros started in 1st only when in DR4 or DR3. Lo range started in 2nd.
    Other information: Olds transmissions had a very wide 2nd to 3rd ratio, thereby dropping RPMS during that shift. Pontiac transmissions had a tighter 2nd to 3rd ratio, and also had a very lo 1st gear compared to Olds.

Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  5. drumyn29

drumyn29

hydromotive is going in my willys
    IMG_0883.jpeg IMG_0884 2.jpeg IMG_0886.jpeg IMG_1103 2.jpeg IMG_2940.jpeg IMG_8353.jpeg

Deuces, elgringo71, warbird1 and 4 others like this.
  6. drumyn29

drumyn29

This one is getting rebuilt now. IMG-5569.jpeg IMG-5570 2.jpeg IMG_6691.jpeg

Deuces, elgringo71, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who rebuilds those today? Cool stuff!

Deuces likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great old resource if you can locate one, an unobtainium paperback these days! Mine is packed away and not readily accessible. I had a breakdown of B&M hydros but can't seem to locate it.
    upload_2022-9-14_21-39-27.png
    hydramatic1.jpg
    hydramatic2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Deuces, bchctybob, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I have a B&M built C-4 in my 32 Sport Coupe that was equipped by the previous owner, when it came time to service fluid & gather gaskets etc. I called B&M proper with tag info.to verify fluid type, probably caught the rep at a busy time didn't expound beyond telling me to use type 'F' this is typical for Ford units by build date.

10. drumyn29

drumyn29

I am going to have my B&M hub for my 392 replicated/machined so I can have a few extra, does anyone know where to find this brass pilot bearing?

IMG_2773 2.jpeg IMG_2774 2.jpeg IMG_2775 2.jpeg IMG_2776 2.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Deuces likes this.
  11. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'm just using my local trans guy, not a lot of choices these days.

12. steven e ryder

steven e ryder

Summit Racing

National Bearing Pilot Bearings NNTPB656HD
    4.75 out of 5 stars ( 7 )

Part Number: NTL-PB656HD

Estimated Ship Date: Today

$9.99

Brand:
    National Bearings and Seals
    Manufacturer's Part Number:
    NNTPB656HD
    Part Type:
    Pilot Bearings and Bushings
    Product Line:
    National Bearing Pilot Bearings
    Summit Racing Part Number:
    NTL-PB656HD
    UPC:
    Pilot Bushing Type:
    Solid
    Pilot Bushing Material:
    Brass
    Outer Diameter (in.):
    1.094 in.
    Inside Diameter (in.):
    0.594 in.
    Width (in.):
    0.750 in.
    Quantity:
    Sold individually.
    National Bearing Pilot Bearings

National Bearing pilot bearings provide you with a job done right. Their quality bearings will replace your worn-out pilot bearings with an OE fit and confidence. National anti-friction bearings are precision-made to keep your transmission and clutch aligned for trouble-free operation. Bearings wear out--replace them with National pilot bearings.

Deuces and rod1 like this.
  13. drumyn29

drumyn29

cool, thank you. I spoke to my machinist and I'll drop this sample off on friday, he's very quick.

Deuces and steven e ryder like this.
  14. steven e ryder

steven e ryder

M5, M5A1 Stuart... Tank Hydro

On Ebay now, I thought someone might like to have it!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  15. bchctybob

bchctybob

Wow, hard to believe that big old lump has survived all these years in its original box. Looks good.

Deuces likes this.
  16. drumyn29

drumyn29

MAN thats cool!

Deuces likes this.
  17. drumyn29

drumyn29

I emailed Mark Williams today and they can make the yolk, I ordered one today and I will have it in about 3 weeks. Here's the part number if anyone needs.
    Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.04.51 AM.png IMG_2994.jpeg IMG_2997.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  18. drumyn29

drumyn29

Torus looks like it's in good shape.
    IMG_2996.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I don’t see any brazing material around the tabs, are you going to open it up and check the vanes?
    Good info on the yoke, thanks. Mark Williams is great. They keep amazing records on everything they do, even one-offs. When I needed bearings and seals for my Austin I called and gave them the number off of the axles. He looked them up and could tell me everything about them. I think they were made in like 1970, iirc. Shipped me the right stuff, right away. They did the axles for the narrowed Olds rear end in my roadster too.

Deuces likes this.
  20. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'd like to check the vanes, is it early easy to open it up?

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Just unbend the tab on the main shaft nut and take it off. The outer torus wheel will slide out easily. There’s a big spring in there pushing it out. IIRC, there is a snap ring holding the inner wheel in. Keep any thrust washers in order and surfaces in order. The front seal rides on the snout of the torus cover (the big bowl). You may want to replace the front seal while you’re in there and inspect the sealing surface of the snout.
    The competition units usually have furnace brazed vanes but there are exceptions. Brass has been flowed between the vanes and the body and usually shows around the tabs on the back.
    I’ll be getting into mine very shortly but it’s been years since I messed with one, don’t remember the torque value. Good old Motor Manual should have it or one of our resident experts, maybe willys36 or Speedy Canuck?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Deuces likes this.
  22. Will pull my manual this evening and circle back ;)

Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  23. drumyn29

drumyn29

My machinist asked me to help him last night. We worked on these adapters until about 1:00am. I only needed one but decided to make a few extra in case someone else needs one. Pretty much impossible to find this obscure coupler that connects the Hemi to a Hydro transmission.
    IMG_3241.jpeg IMG_3242.jpeg IMG_3245.jpeg IMG_3246.jpeg

24. drumyn29

drumyn29

ARE ALL HYDRAMATICS THE SAME FLYWHEEL?
    Mine has a worn out spot in the teeth.

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

I believe all of the Oldsmobile hydro flywheels are the same. The Chevy version is a smaller diameter with fewer torus cover bolts. The Pontiac, Cadillac, Lincoln, etc will have different crank bolt patterns.

Deuces likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

Don’t toss the damaged one, I’ve successfully welded and filed the teeth in a pinch.

Deuces likes this.
  27. drumyn29

drumyn29

So have I!
    I thought about doing that but it seemed half assed, maybe I should re consider welding it.

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

The days of going to the parts store or the dealer and ordering a new one are long gone, same with just hitting the local boneyard for one. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Since we don’t drive these old things everyday like we used to, a repair like that lasts a bit longer. I got one off of eBay some time ago for $30-35 and it was perfect but they will continue to get harder to find each year.

Deuces likes this.
  29. Charles L Coker

Charles L Coker

That's not a UC after the P55, on the right side of the B&M tag is where the transmission is ID as SS, = strip/street version. I have a unblown competition Hydro Stick, and the UC is stamped on the right side. FB_IMG_1675226918720.jpg FB_IMG_1675226918720.jpg

rod1, Deuces and elgringo71 like this.