Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical IBeam axle angle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skimmer, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Skimmer

Skimmer

Just in the process of fitting a 4" dropped IBeam to the front of my 32 Sedan ,I've now spent many hours trying to set it at 6 to 7 degrees but all I seem to keep getting is around 9 degrees. I've read many articles,books etc and some say 9 is fine (Pete Chaperious) but I really don't know so is 9 degrees ok
    Thanks

It's on wishbones

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Kingpin angle{ caster },AKA,axle angle.
    9* will work find,but understand,that much makes steering return to center faster. And a little bit harder to turn-then less dose. The lbs. down on front end also has a lot to do with how fast or slow. As most hotrods are under 2500 lbs total, most find 7* feels good. Were 6* or less dose not hold center/straight as well. There a lot more factors that can play on your steering. So only talking,caster there.

Side bones can be bent or cut an rewelded to hold axle angle,or rear bone mount can be moved up or down for adjustment.

Skimmer and Budget36 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I’m guessing , because I don’t know, on a traverse spring, would the front crossmember need to be tilted as well, to keep the spring out of a bind?

dana barlow and 19Eddy30 like this.
  4. Are you measuring the caster with the car on the ground and with the car sitting with a forward rake, or with the chassis level on stands?
    A rake can minus out a couple of caster degrees, depending on the rake of course.

Once again, pictures please. And what type of location method.

dana barlow likes this.
  5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Is that 9 with frame level or 9 figuring in the rake?

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

9 degrees works fine, and depending on wheelbase length, it might even work better than the "norm" of 5-7 degrees. I use 5 degrees on my '39 Chevy with 115" wheelbase, but my '37 Austin gasser has 11 degrees because of the short 89" wheelbase, and it works great too.

7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

It does make the steering heavier but I put 10° into every personal hot rod and everyone that's coming to the shop and they go straight down the road nicely.

'40 Coupe Fan and Skimmer like this.
  8. Skimmer

Skimmer

I've actually got it on axle stands under the axle, I've looked and tried to find out if better this way or on its wheels but no information about which is best, it has a slight rake as it sits

9. Skimmer

Skimmer

That makes me feel better so maybe my concerns might all be ok and if all your builds drive nice with 10 degrees hopefully mine will too, thanks

10. Skimmer

Skimmer

Very slight rake

11. Skimmer

Skimmer

It will be as per factory 106" , fully fendered etc

12. alchemy

alchemy

The caster can only be measured with the car off all stands and sitting on its own tires. If you change tire size you also change caster.

dana barlow and Just Gary like this.
  13. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

& Yes front crossmember should have some caster built in . Extreme rake needs more added in
    (front crossmember) .

Like others said
    Take readings Like it sets on ground on all four conners ,
    Me , I like 7deg or more