Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***JULY 2023 BANGER MEET THREAD - Happy 4th Cylinder***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retson the Racer, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Scuba's 225

Scuba's 225

I'll also be at the races tomorrow in Hillsboro Wi at Sanford Field. 3rd year and great event. I'll have my roadster sporting the triple nickle 555.

brjnelson likes this.
  2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The front seal is the one that Specialty Motor Cams makes. It is an aluminum adapter that uses a lip seal on the ID, and an o ring on the OD. It replaces the rope seal. Crank pulley is from Scalded Dog.

Old Dawg and 4BangerDean like this.
  3. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

That front seal looks really nice. Where can they be purchased?

4. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I'll be there as a spectator, luckily my wife let me off the hook for our previous plans. I'll keep a look out for your car. Looks like it's about 200 miles from me.

5. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

4BangerDean likes this.
  6. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I've been on his website and nothing works on it(I can't look at anything listed on it). I've also have called the number. I'll have to try again.
    I'd like a little info on his 350 cam. I think it's what I want.

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that Specialty Cams is history...a thing of the past...the old man turned it over to the boys...and the rest is history. I hope we can have a source for new cams again....

8. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

winduptoy I think you are correct about Specialty Cams. I purchased a couple of burtz cams, .340 lift and had Jim Brierley successfully regrind them into specific OHV grinds link to the cams is
    https://burtzblock.com/products/camshaft

Crazydaddyo and winduptoy like this.
  9. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I met with Bill Stipe and his son Tony at the Speedster Reunion a couple weeks ago. Bill retired to a different state several years ago, and Tony is now looking to downsize the shop and follow. They seemed to be interested in keeping the shelf stocked with cool stuff for us banger chumps, but no doubt will take some time to make the move. They currently have a batch of new T and A cams in the works and no doubt will be available soon. Keep trying and be patient

10. Kevin,
    did you happen to ask about the material of the cams? are they using 8620 or 9310? other?

John

Old Dawg, winduptoy and Outback like this.
  11. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

They are made from 8620

burl, Old Dawg, Crazydaddyo and 4 others like this.
  12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been busy on the other banger and finally got that to a pausing point. Played around with mocking up the valence panels. There is so much visual mass up top, I think that they are very helpful in balancing the car out.

Attached Files:

The37Kid, cactus1, Old Dawg and 3 others like this.
  13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried hard to get them to do a custom grind, even agreed to the $1,000 price tag, when I said go...they went radio silent. Ended up getting a reground A cam instead.

winduptoy and Outback like this.
  14. Fur,
    I have some oversize 5 bearing blanks recently made.
    PM for more info

John

15. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I spoke with Tony Stipe at the “Showdown at Sanford Field” on Saturday. He indicated that they will be manufacturing parts again with cams being up first. I hope so. The display he had with him had some really nice parts. I purchased a crank pulley and cam nut.

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  16. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Thought I’d share a few photos from the “Showdown at Sanford Field” in Hillsboro, Wisconsin. I had a good time and learned a bit.
    IMG_3549.jpeg IMG_3554.jpeg IMG_3545.jpeg IMG_3548.jpeg IMG_3566.jpeg

winduptoy, burl, brjnelson and 9 others like this.
  17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The Long Beach Model T Club Vintage and Classic Parts Exchange is Saturday July 15 at Long Beach City College Veteran's Stadium 5000 Lew Davis St. Long Beach, CA. 90808. 7AM until it's over, admission $5 Free Parking.

For 69 years, one of the oldest and best old car and old Ford swap meets in the West. Open to all makes and models, automotive and hobby related items only. NO Dogs, NO Guns, NO Weapons. Spaces are available, 20ft wide and 16ft deep $40 each or 3 for $100. Call Jeff Hood 562-597-5936 or lbmtc.com

upload_2023-7-12_12-32-52.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  18. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Wish I could find something like this in the Midwest.

Outback likes this.
  19. metalhead140

metalhead140

20. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Quick question, hopefully someone knows. I’m prepping my engine for installation and noticed what appears to be 2 2 G stamped on the end of the cam. Can anyone identify it by these numbers?
    Thanks!
    IMG_3634.jpeg

BeaverMatt and Outback like this.
  21. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Can anyone identify this Stromberg spacer? Maybe some kind of water injection, I have two of them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brian IMG_0722.jpg IMG_0722.jpg

Outback likes this.
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

23. metalhead140

metalhead140

Yep. Was entered myself, but didn't get the car back together in time. I've been machining the flywheel today.:

PXL_20230716_040547679.jpg

BeaverMatt, Old Dawg, burl and 2 others like this.
  24. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Hey Aussie banger guys.

Anyone after a clings setup?

I have a LHD setup, plus a transmission to be assembled, that I don't need.

Anyone looking for one?

25. metalhead140

metalhead140

Wasn't after one, but maybe interested... What are you wanting for it, and what else would I need?

Outback likes this.
  26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

DM'd you

Outback likes this.
  27. flathead 37

flathead 37

Alright folks,
    I'm tossing around doing a pre-order on this model A dual carb intake manifold i recently designed. These would be a pretty significant upfront investment, and i would like some assurance of sales before i pull the trigger and make them, so im putting my feelers out. I'd need to sell 15 of them at $425 a pop to make the initial investment worth it. Reach out if you are genuinely interested, and we'll see if we can make this happen.

Thanks
    Nystrom Performance

dual carb render.JPG DUAL CARB RENDER 2.JPG

Outback and burl like this.
  28. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I'm still alive just not much time for the Hamb anymore. Trying to get cars completed before I'm dirt. The races at Sanford showdown were a good time but got schooled by a young gal that was pretty quick.
    banger #3.jpg
    fast four.jpg

[​IMG]

29. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Hi Phil ,nice to meet you at Pendine and sorry to hear about the new motor. I don`t know how closely you looked at my coupe but one thing I learned about when I was racing at Bonneville was fuel supply! Thats why I built it with a 2 psi pump , An6 fittings, a supply to each carb and a return to the tank through a NRV and boy did it use them !!! thirsty at WOT is an understatement lol.........next a cam to get that wee bit faster.

hotrodfil and Outback like this.
  30. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I`m still here , any cam recommendations? Looking for a bit more power but still street driveable... model B motor.