Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***JULY 2023 BANGER MEET THREAD - Happy 4th Cylinder***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retson the Racer, Jul 3, 2023.

1. I'm not sure the status of Stipe Machine, but Terry Burtz has a .340 cam that works for A/B. https://burtzblock.com/products/camshaft

2. Never had fuel supply dilemmas before in the previous ten years but I was testing a new pump - suppose I should have swapped the old system back over on the Saturday night. Lesson learnt...

I tried to get a Stipe cam for the Burtz build as I was happy with the one I've run the past few years but I couldn't get one so I went with a Burtz cam. It works well. Well enough that I've bought another!

3. Recently I started a YouTube series documenting the history behind banger speed parts.

For the first episode, I cover Ed Winfield and the many banger parts that he made. This next episode will feature Harry Hosterman, and the various heads he created.

Check it out!

skip65, trikejunkie, Old Dawg and 7 others like this.
  4. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Ahh shucks…!:p Thanks for the shout out, and thanks for giving some air time to the little known Winfield O/H too. The Speedway Museum has 2 of these heads (out of maybe 3-5 made), one set up with dual SR’s and the other with a SOHC setup on it! The correct carbs unfortunately are condemned to mythology and that one pic… except that I worked on some reproductions a while back. I fixed some incomplete machine work and assembled, but never got to test run em. Little known fact; they used mostly Stromberg 97 internal brass components. Not sure what ever happened to em tho …?

Old Dawg, Outback, Jiminy and 3 others like this.
  5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

has anyone put a turbo on a banger ?

kb9jlo likes this.
  6. kb9jlo

kb9jlo
    from Central IL
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I saw a picture once. Can't remember where now. Maybe VFF?
    I did find this:
    Sweden maybe? Beautiful engine.

Old Dawg likes this.
  7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

60 years ago, my brother showed me an "A" head that converted the motor into being an air compressor -- two running, the other two pumping. Is my memory bad or was I just drinking too much?

Outback and 51 mercules like this.
  8. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Original T racers racing.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    GuyW, Old Dawg, BeaverMatt and 4 others like this.
  9. No not drinking too much, maybe not enough....
    That was a common conversion for portable air compressors.
    J

10. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

11. Alright. My engine has some miles on it now, seems pretty happy...but. it pushes a lot of water out.. I can't keep water in it at higher rpms. Doesn't seem to have a blown headgasket. It only does it at higher rpm or when I rev it quickly.

Is this why guys put the smaller 3.5 inch pulley on the crank? To slow the pump? What else can I do? Would a pressurized radiator work?

How will the smaller pulley effect my generator? Will it charge enough? Can I turn it up so it still produces a charge at lower rpm?

Thanks

Old Dawg likes this.
  12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

13. Hitchhiker, I also had that issue so I put an expansion tank on. Used a good sealing cap so it can siphon back as the motor cools. That worked well but later I went with the smaller pulley Yapp sells and that cured it altogether. Expansion tank is still hooked up but is always dry.

14. Mainedrifter2

Mainedrifter2

After months of waiting, my new Banger arrived from the other coast.
    I started stripping the old engine today. A21FD21B-397C-46B8-9412-5AB0AAF19352.jpeg

Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  15. That's what is left of my 2 piece crank pulley sleeve. Gonna pull the pan tomorrow see what else is messed up. It really chewed up the front main seal. 20230722_152228.jpg

16. I have one of the smaller pulleys. I may try that. Thanks. I'm in there working on it right now anyways.

Outback likes this.
  17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

GuyW likes this.
  18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

This 24 followed me home today. IMG_20230723_151833838_HDR.jpg

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

after braking 3 i went to a billet steel front pulley ........... no mo trouble

Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  20. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Apparently, a lot of engines have been converted to compressors. First time I heard of it, the outfit one of my buddies worked for rented a compressor for a few days that was a 302 Ford engine running on half and squeezing with half.

Outback likes this.
  21. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Here is a wee film we made today of my coupe up in the woods 4 Banger power obviously .....

22. 3.5 inch crank pulley seems to be doing its job. Just took a spin and no water loss! I'll call that a win!

23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Have we August yet?

Midnight Rider likes this.
  24. Jiminy

Jiminy