Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2023 Banger Meet Thread - Beginning the Ber Months***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 31, 2023.

1. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Outback in the Salmson work project pic is that a Curtiss V8 I see behind it?

Outback likes this.
  2. walls

walls

Checking in.
    No progress. Saving money for my engine rebuild.
    I did get a new cam from Jim Brierley though.
    IMG_7765.jpeg

3. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Yes an OX5 going into a 1913/14 Wolsley, one of my bosses projects

studebakerjoe likes this.
  4. noboD

noboD

How about keeping us up to speed on that project too?

5. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Will do, don't think we'll get to until next year, we also have some cyclecars on the go.

6. railcarmover

railcarmover

Yup.. they may pop, they may not..

I come from a different time, when we laughed are our ethnicity.. times were better then in my opinion, there was a great limerick about Italian tires back then

7. 35chevmn

35chevmn
    from mn

8. Took the Coupe to GOW the other day.
    I do like the way the Blockley tyres grip. 4.50 x 19 out of interest. Pity the picture wasn't in the wet as they're just as grippy.

[​IMG]

Me n Roy in the rain.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Great photos @hotrodfil looks like a hoot! How well do those Blockley's wear?

metalhead140 likes this.
  10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Spoken with a tongue in one's cheek - you're really trying to to talk yourself into buying these tyres!!! ;););)

Outback and metalhead140 like this.
  11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I should just shut up & buy em aye! :D :D

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

400 miles on the Burtz block and still going strong.

20230819_083531.jpg

Star 351, Jeff34, G Baese and 13 others like this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got about 1200 on my rev.b now and it seems happy.....so any feedback to offer?

Crazydaddyo and Outback like this.
  14. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

"400 miles on the Burtz block and still going strong."

Did you determine the cause of the piston failure??

4BangerDean and Old Dawg like this.
  15. At Laguna Seca Raceway; coming down into Turn 11. Though I did set the 4th fastest time of 20 entries in practice; I had a few missteps that put me back in the final tally! First one was the snap ring in the right rear hub (the one we had worked on) came loose; and second, I ran out of fuel on the last lap of our main event! All in all, however, the car ran very fast. This is the best engine we've had in this car. (It was running so fast that i put the rollbar back on the car!)
    2023RMMR(4).jpg

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It wasn't one thing, but the piston got too hot. A combination of lean jetting, timing advanced, and too much oil drawn in through the intake. The oil was drawn in from the PCV set up I installed. There was a lot of carbon build up on the pistons. The lean condition and timing was causing detonation and the carbon was retaining the heat that made the piston swell.

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Feedback on mine? I like it so far. Runs smooth. I've been keeping it under 3000 rpm till it is broken in. With this set up the power really comes in @ 2500 and easily builds past 4000. 4200 is about the most I've seen it. I have an arbitrary 4500 red line set on it in the future but it might see 5000 safely. 70 mph is 3000 rpm in 4th gear. The fastest I've had it is 85mph in 5th. Not the slickest driving vehicle at that speed.

18. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Mind if I ask what your timing is set at now??

winduptoy likes this.
  19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

28 degrees total

G Baese, winduptoy and Outback like this.
  20. Well - they're warm and tacky in the rain...
    That said, they've been on about 4 years now and clocked up a few thousand miles and still have plenty of tread left.

Mine heat seized at the top end of Pendine with a lean running problem. In the absence of any spare gaskets or the cash to get any shipped over, I've not been inside to investigate.

That aside - yeah, very smooth running. I have the Burtz iron head on this one. Been getting around 25mpg (big UK ones...). With the barn like aerodynamics I sat at 75mph for a few miles the other day heading down to GOW, which is only 2250 rpm with my gearing. 55-65mph cruising is a pleasure at around 1750-2000rpm. With the stock A gearbox, 3100rpm in second is around 55 and it spins up there a treat...

21. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

How's the water outlet fit together? T or A? Jern was a friend of mine before he passed.

Outback and winduptoy like this.
  22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh...I missed this chapter. I had taken a trip to Denver, in the Bertz powered Vicky. I ran the return trip of over 400 miles with a 45 mph headwind at 2:00. The aerodynamics of a brick ....barn per @hotrodfil I kept it wound out in direct and sometimes into third with my foot in it the whole trip home. I had a rear main leak and pulled the engine to address that. I have to pull the OHV first in order to pull the engine and when I did I had scoring from the rings, in the cylinder walls. I suspect that lean condition contributed to the condition along with ring gap, that I had at .018"
    It cleaned up with a .020" cylinder bore, new pistons and rings with the top one gapped at .024" as it appeared to be the only offender. I am running 31 degrees total timing but at higher altitude with no signs of predetonation

But this is a different story of lean condition.... and it was something else when it came apart.... IMG_20230612_074306207.jpg

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  23. AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

Here's a shot of the part Neil Jern made to adapt the Ford water pump to Olds/Chevy. For this project I will be using a low mount water pump so I'll just fab something up to make a water neck.
    IMG_7127.jpg

Old Dawg, Outback and winduptoy like this.
  24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ouch.

This was my piston issue

Attached Files:

winduptoy likes this.
  25. railcarmover

railcarmover

Old school vacuum gauge can save you from headaches. It was the engine analyzer for years.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  26. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

I wonder if a different cam grind on the pistons would have helped?? One would assume the piston guys had that all figured out. The pattern sure is even. Does not look like the thrust surface was scored at all. Another thought, as the piston was getting hot, my guess (caution here) would be that the thrust surface would get unhappy long before the piston went out of shape enough for the corners to score like that. I assume you had enough clearance. I've found that with only a partial water jacket, sometimes things need a little more clearance, but this is still puzzling me.

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

All clearances were good. #1 piston was the only one that had heat distortion and only the skirts. The cylinder walls were still round and the scoring was only piston material transfer. There were no signs that the cylinder was starved of oil from the bottom either. The new pistons have a coating on the skirts to reduce friction.

Attached Files:

Old Dawg, G Baese and winduptoy like this.
  28. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

"Things hate people" !!!!

29. If I can offer an observation to CDOs piston scuffing
    The dimensions measured after the scuffing would indicate the bottom skirt may not have enough cam in the shape of the piston
    However the dims up closer to the rings may indicate just an overheated piston
    As the piston heated up it expanded along the web of the pin bosses resulting in insufficient clearance
    Once cooled down it returned to shape/size

Have never witnessed this before it usually ends up with pieces left in the pan or on the track
    In any case he is very lucky to not have had it become terminal

J

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I agree.

I'm glad I was on a leisurely Sunday drive instead of driving it in anger at the track.