Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WEIAND SUPERCHARGERS LOST TO THE AGES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56210chev, May 26, 2023.

1. safetythird

safetythird

100% spot on. I've seen a variety of collections just get tossed into the dumpster. Most people don't have the time or the ability to sort through everything, figure out what it is, and if it's worth selling, then sell it. The goal is typically to clean out the house it's in so they can then sell that.

Too many people sit on parts others could use, and the end result is that those parts turn into scrap.

gimpyshotrods and alanp561 like this.
  2. Zottel

Zottel

What a dumb conslusion.

You missed the point and seem to have no sense for irony...

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Did I say annoying?

Sorry, bad choice of words.

I meant to say obnoxious.

What I reacted to was the fact that you somehow felt comfortable to make sweeping generalizations about groups of people you've never met, and get preachy about what they "should" do.

Ironic or not.

4. with regards to the earlier discussion of bean-counters, economics, etc... I'm reminded of a phrase a learned uncle shared with me 20 years ago or so: 'We vote with our money'. So to play on that, it's likely where things are at, are largely about how we have 'voted'.

5. Zottel

Zottel

Your not open minded.

....you know what? I know hoarders in all sizes and shapes...they are ill...

And thats all I will say.

Cause I know the value of my lifetime, I'm just in my Shop working on my project...

Have a nice day...

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

So do I.

Some of them I really like, some of them I don't.

And a lot of them are perfectly willing to pass on some part or car they have saved to the next caretaker.

If you show them the respect they deserve.

Calling them ill doesnt cut it...

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Where else but on the hamb can one get a free , un requested , bogus psychoanalysis by a self proclaimed expert which includes instructions on what to do with your life for free !? What a deal !!

SS327, Budget36, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, I have a feeling we might not be dealing with a licensed professional with a diploma on his wall, but the armchair version with a over active Google history...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  9. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Let's try to stay on topic and avoid the thinly veiled ad hominems, eh?

I'd generally rather buy an "original" part made before I was born than a "new" thingamajig. Unless the engineering department has won out against the bean counters, I prefer the older stuff anyways. Often feels better-made (aka heavier), with more details (usually takes more time to manufacture), etc. I'll usually take metal over plastic, analog over digital, leather over vinyl, etc.

I do wonder how many of the old things I've purchased within the past decade or so would still be available if the manufacturer hadn't continued to "improve" it over the years.

alanp561, mad mikey and nochop like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dunno, was their offspring a lawyer?

Budget36 likes this.
  11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Ad hominems : This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.

I did not do that.

What I did was question a person's credentials, because on the basis of this supposed expertise a reckless diagnosis was made.

But yeah.
    That is probably best...

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Wow

13. after all the ranting and arm waving was done and everybody paused to take a breath.....somewhere in the ensuing silence, along ways off an unmuffled engine fire fired, for the first time.... the ground shook a little.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I think Hot Heads makes a duel quad manifold for early hemis....

alanp561 and mad mikey like this.
  15. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Weiand was located in Los Angeles on San Fernando Road near the Taylor Rail Yard. Was there since the 50's. Just a few miles from my house. He had a foundry and did all his machining in house. Phil Weiand died in 1978 and his wife Joan took over and ran the company for 20 years. The blower shop was opposite the factory on the other side of San Fernando Rd. Used to go to the factory and dealt with Mrs. Weiand several times. The guys in the blower shop were cool. But time marches on and I guess Mrs. Weiand finally decided it was time and Holley bought the whole operation and moved to it Kentucky. Same thing happened to Edelbrock, after Vic Jr died the family sold the operation to Holley, but I think the automated foundry still operates in San Jacinto, CA. I think Offenhauser is still operating on Alhambra Rd. in El Sereno.

Going in some of these places time is frozen, the counter is full of old stuff and not much has changed in 40 years. Isky Cams in Gardena is another blast from the past, lots of old stuff piled up. Relics of a bygone era. Dave's Home of Chrome, the Service Center, Pos-A-Traction Tires, Ansen Wheels, American Mags, Engle Cams, Sig Erson. So many long gone and the few that remember them will be gone soon. Those were the days...

16. 1937Coupe

1937Coupe

17. 1937Coupe

1937Coupe

I know this post is a little old but thought I’d let folks know that I was able to buy all of the Holley/Weiand obsolete 142/174/177 supercharger inventory. No assembled super chargers but lots of parts. I also was able to get most of the drawings and have legal permission to make new parts with some reasonable exceptions. I can assemble and sell complete superchargers (142/174/177) if someone needs one. I did this because I make a supercharger kit for Ford flathead V8s. I am a licensee for Joe Abbin’s kit and it uses the small Weiand superchargers. If I can help anyone, please let me know. Steve

swade41, warbird1, 42merc and 7 others like this.
  18. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine