Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Australia Trip with Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Currently sitting in an airport in L.A. waiting on my 15-1/2 hour flight to Sydney and looking forward to visiting at least a couple fellow HAMBers while down under. The trip is for business but I managed to sneak in 3 weekends and made arrangements to try to meet up with a couple buddies down there.

Anyway, one question for the Aussies… Anything car-related going on anywhere near Gold Coast on Saturday, November 11th? I have a free day that day and would love to find something car-related to do if possible.

I already have plans to hang out with a friend and maybe do a garage crawl the next Saturday so am pumped about that. I will be spending time in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, and Perth while in the country the next couple weeks. :)

I’ll try to get some pics of any car stuff that is HAMB-friendly and post here if that works out.

2. Buy a Ute or a Sloper, and ship it home! You know what Utes are. Slopers are like a 2 dr sedan with a sloping back, sorta kinda like an aerosedan style. I've got 3 Utes, they are a lot of fun.

Spooky, scotty t, USMercUte and 3 others like this.
  3. The Bendigo swap meet is on in a couple of weeks, couple of hours out from Melbourne. It would now be the biggest one in Australia.

4. Hmm…that swap meet sounds interesting. :D But, I sure don’t need a Ute or sloper. I have too many projects already. :oops:

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Lucky... If you see Barrelnose pickup Chris Say hello from me.

6. swifty

swifty

Saturday Nov 11th is when the Bendigo Swap Meet is on and it's currently the biggest, and the Lake Mulwala Rod Run is also on that weekend and you'll be on the Gold Coast. Maybe PM X38 as I think he's in the Brisbane area and he will know what's on in either area. I'm not on facebook so I haven't got a clue what's om in either Melbourne or Sydney. You're too late for the Sydney based Test Run or too early for the Melbourne (now Yackandandah) River City run.

chryslerfan55, guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  7. SS327

SS327

Just be careful down there, they call things by funny names down there. But, I’d still get worried if some dude called me mate. :eek:

deadbeat, guthriesmith and alanp561 like this.
  8. Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  9. twenty8

twenty8

Hey @guthriesmith , have you been down our way before? I hope you enjoy your time here. It's an ok place....;)

guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  10. twenty8

twenty8

We're the same, but we are wary of "dudes"......:rolleyes:

11. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yamba rod run is on the weekend of the 11th , it’s a few hours south of the Gold Coast but definitely worth the trip. Lots of HAMB Friendly cars are normally present.

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston TX

When you get to Brisbane, hop the train to Fortitude Valley station and go down Wickham Street. It’s O/T, but there’s a bunch of exotic car dealers there, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc. I used to work in The Valley and we often heard an Italian V12 screaming between the buildings. There’s a brewery nearby too, you’ll find it.

Perth was my favorite city in Australia and I got to live there for about three years. Hay Street is the place to be for restaurants and pubs, my favorite was The Grosvenor. Get some Nando’s chicken while you’re there on Hay Street, I’ll live vicariously through you. I used to live in Scarborough Beach and I’d ride the bus to the train station and take the train to Hay Street station which puts you right in the middle of everything. I worked in a building on St.George’s Terrace. There’s a cigar shop that sells Cuban cigars in the London Court mall if I recall correctly. You can hop on the CAT bus and ride around the CBD of the city and get a sightseeing tour for free. Enjoy, I envy your trip.

13. Sounds like a lot of potential, spring should have sprung by then, weather will be on your side.

guthriesmith, hrm2k and Stogy like this.
  14. As will the $ exchange rate, by a lot.

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello G,

You have an interesting job that allows you to travel all over the place, coming from land locked OKC area in the USA. But as long as your itinerary takes you to one of the biggest islands in the world, islands mean surfing waves all over the place and excellent harbors for a fast sailboat ride or two on a dinner cruise in one of the big harbors.

The Gold Coast. Warm water, blue skies and sub-tropical vibes make this one of the best places for budding surfers in Australia. It is a long way to go and come back in the air. But, as long as you are there, you might as well find the nice beaches and try surfing in the rolling waves. Not the fast surf spots for the more advanced surfers including locals, but just a nice place to enjoy what Australia portrays... like So Cal.

Jnaki

The waters of Australia have always been tempting during our surfing era. But, during our sailing days, the coastline and great harbors were really tempting my wife and I for a long stay + sail adventure. There are always times to see hot rods and custom cars everywhere. But, the ocean is the major attraction on this big island.

At least, you will be able to say, you surfed in Australia... or at least sailed in the surrounding ocean waters...that is something... YRMV

16. hrm2k

hrm2k

Totally beautiful place.
    Beware vegemite …..
    Bundy and cola before and during meals
    Nasty creepy crawly things
    Do you need someone to carry your bags ?

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston TX

Vegemite, when applied properly to buttery toast, goes down well with a cuppa. In my case that would be coffee.

OzMerc39, guthriesmith and hrm2k like this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I gotta know…….do the toilets really swirl the opposite way…….keep us posted……oh yeah, pics or you didn’t go

19. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston TX

Have a bogan’s breakfast; a VB and a meat pie with tomato sauce (what they call ketchup).

20. hrm2k

hrm2k

I had thought of mentioning Yatla’s meat pies ….big experience for a state side guy :D

guthriesmith and Dago 88 like this.
  21. Totally different. Toilets are not full of water to begin with, there's only a small amount of water at the bottom so the whole swirling thing doesn't happen like an American toilet. There is a large rush of water and it does go the opposite to a northern hemisphere swirl though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Thanks for all the ideas guys! Just landed in Sydney.

Nope, first time. I was dreading the flight too. But, honestly, it seemed about like going to Europe. Looking forward to the next couple weeks.

Outback, Okie Pete, lumpy 63 and 4 others like this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Now I know……

hrm2k and guthriesmith like this.
  24. twenty8

twenty8

Welcome.:)

25. SS327

SS327

26. This is a non tip country, people get paid to work;)

27. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Be careful when crossing the roads...... Look right! [they drive on the left]

49ratfink, alanp561, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just came back from a cruise I took to Brisbane. Had a blast. Next time I'll spend more time there. When we went to Sydney, we stayed at the Lord Nelson Hotel, Pub and Brewery. Didn't have to go anywhere else!

29. Yep, learned that trick in the UK. Amazing how trained I am
    to mainly look the other way. I also tried to get in the wrong side of the car already on the trip to the hotel. :oops:

Okie Pete, alanp561, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll need one of these

upload_2023-11-4_15-9-20.png