Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Australia Trip with Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Not car related at all…but my view out of the hotel window…

IMG_8003.jpeg

I promise that I will post some HAMB-friendly car stuff sometime over the next couple weeks. :D

And, I did see the stuff about surfing in Gold Coast @jnaki . Chances are I won’t get that adventurous. It is pretty cool to be able to travel far places because of an equipment company in Oklahoma that ships stuff worldwide. I wouldn’t have been able to see near as much of the world otherwise.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k

It’s been 20+ years since I got to spend time in Brisbane. The only way for me to describe the trip is I saw what it is like to suffer from amnesia. The only names I saw that I knew was Toyota and McDonalds. All new stuff in chrome and glass and did not recognize any other business names. It was amazing

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  3. noboD

noboD

I have met several people from Australia. They all have the same personality, ball busters that will help you in any way possible. Very talented mechanics.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I have paranoia induced peripheral vision :D

Enjoy your stay there ............. And watch out for "Drop Bears"

5. Lil32

Lil32

see you at the Yamba Rod Run
    we are heading that way on thursday
    IMG_4211.JPG IMG_4212.JPG IMG_4402.JPG IMG_6470.JPG IMG_5473.JPG

JalopyJimbo, Outback, Spooky and 7 others like this.
  6. When living in Sydney, that was one of my happy places. Still is every time I visit. That and Harry's Cafe de Wheels at Woolloomooloo.

BTW, you can walk to the Lord Nelson from where you are.

Outback, Okie Pete, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  7. About the same off my back deck. But god knows, we need it so I'm actually happy to see some rain.

8. Man, I'm jealous. Always wanted to go down under but to have the company pay for it is even better. Safe flights and hope you have a great time!

9. 36 Tourer

36 Tourer

Welcome to Australia Guthriesmith, I am sure you will have a great time .Well done to X38 for the suggestion of Expresso 25 gathering this is about 40 minutes drive south of Bris and has a wide variety of cars but if you can manage to get to the Yamba Rod Run it goes for the whole weekend this is a true iconic Aussie rod run in the beautiful town of Yamba great people , great cars and also has beautiful beaches.

10. RDR

RDR

About the month of October in 1988 ....made the trip over and drove about 2500 miles starting from Sydney, over to Castlemaine (Streetrod capital of Australia), then to Adelaide, up to Coober Pedy opal mines, back down to Melbourne and then Sydney again to fly back.
    Hated to leave, met many motorheads and hotrodders and still have great memories of the times there and visits from friends since.
    Have a Wonderful Time Guthriesmith ....
    I'll definitely be traveling vicariously with you on this venture !

11. When are you in Perth and for how long ? I would of loved to of shown you around but moved down south 3 mths ago and my life is on hold and in storage while we wait for the right house to come up for sale. If you get down to Margaret River, I would give you a tour of the place, surf capital down here but beautiful coast and countryside and lots of Breweries and Wineries.
    Still, could probably hook you up with a couple of Hamb minded car guys in Perth.

Chris.

hrm2k, Okie Pete, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  12. I will be in Perth from November 14th through the 16th, heading to Canberra on the 17th to spend the day with a buddy there where we can hopefully do somewhat of a cruise/garage crawl with some of his buddies.

13. SS327

SS327

Is that some kind of seat for hemorrhoid sufferers or a cushion for toilet seats down there?

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. Found this cool building… ;)

Oh, and this is what I look like in case any of you Aussies see some guy wandering around lost.

Jeff

IMG_8012.jpeg

15. I walked down to Fortune of War thanks to a suggestion of another friend from near Melbourne. :D

16. Ah, The Fortune of War, I know it well. It would have been closer. There are a bunch of them in that area.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    chryslerfan55, hrm2k and guthriesmith like this.
  17. SS327

SS327

We really didn’t need to see that. Now I’m going to have nightmares!

Okie Pete, alanp561 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Rodsports

Rodsports

Fortune of War - brilliant place, haven't been for a while but they used to have Resches on tap. Jeff, try vegemite on toast or just as a sandwich or on a SOA, absolutely beautiful stuff - I reckon I have eaten it every day for the best part of 45 years. If you dont like it the first time, have a second crack at it but remember to spread it thinly. Enjoy Australia Mate, we are pretty proud of it.

19. Since the guys I am with for work have a free day at Gold Coast on the 11th and I would rather be at the Yamba Rod Run thanks to suggestions here, anyone have any good suggestions on how I might travel there? Anyone need a rider from Brisbane or Gold Coast that may be headed down Saturday morning? :D Seems a taxi might not be too affordable to drive me a couple hours south… :eek:

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff , looks like Your having fun . Looking forward to Your pictures and stories.

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. Looks like a great trip so far!
    If you're flushing the crapper on the plane as you cross the equator, does the water change direction?

22. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Have fun Jeff looks like a trip of a lifetime, for me anyway.

hrm2k and guthriesmith like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, silly, it goes down just like everywhere else ;).

24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, your a lucky man to do that trip for work. Be careful have fun and lots of pi

guthriesmith and hrm2k like this.
  25. GeeRam

GeeRam

And in that photo, I can see the hotel the ex-missus and I stayed in back in 2002 when we visited Aus during our Around the World in 28 days trip :cool:

hrm2k, chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  26. ol'skool

ol'skool
    from Colorado

Be sure to look for the Southern Cross in the night sky! Only visible down under.

hrm2k, Lil32 and guthriesmith like this.
  27. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Ahh... Reschs. Nectar of the Gods.

Someone should have warned Guthrie about XXXX and Great Northern though before he heads north. :eek:

Cheers,
    Harv

Outback, deadbeat, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  28. A lot of people drink it because it's cheap (and tastes just like every other Carlton beer including Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter, VB, Crown etc., i.e. shit.)
    When I lived I Sydney I always drank Reschs at the pub. It's old fashioned and not that common anymore.:(

29. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I heard you guys love Fosters:p

30. One more day in Sydney then heading to Brisbane this evening. In all the driving around yesterday, I only saw one HAMB-friendly vehicle. It was a 58 or 59 Chevy short fleetside pickup. Kinda like the states as best I can tell. I rarely see them being used as a car there either. :(

Oh, and on that topic, seems my oldest son may be looking to buy a 59 Galaxie while I am down here. He has regretted selling his 59 Edsel almost ever since he did. This Galaxie is pink too so we will see how this goes. Sounds like he will go check it out in the next day or so. Hopefully he can make a good decision on whether it is worth the money or not without me there. It will be a 5 hour drive back home in it if he decides to buy it. That is assuming he doesn’t have problems along the way home. More to come on that side story. Never a dull moment back home either while I am traveling. :eek: