Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects We're getting old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Dec 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts to get a couple 12V round sealed beams for my '40 Plymouth project. Not only did they not have any in stock, they said it would be a special order.

2. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they still have them at walmart....

3. Times are a changing. Order those sealed beams online from a smart phone, or use a computer. Sometimes saving money compared to buying from a store.

dana barlow and mad mikey like this.
  4. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Yes on the old thing. When I was on Death Week, I was hanging around with a lot of people 30-40 years younger than me. I pulled out my thermos to pour a cup of coffee, and this nice young lady got all nostalgic about my thermos, saying it reminded her of her grandpa. Well, I suppose if the grandpa image attracts the chicks, I won't complain.

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

About 10 years ago I went to Chevy dealer to buy a mechanical fuel pump for a sbc, they would have order it. I know they stopped using them ( on new cars) 40 years ago, now I feel old.

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

More and more things every day are telling me I'm getting older. The only other option means we really won't care about anything. My plan is to keep getting older as long as I can.

7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Just reached the point where, I can't see the point in having teeth fixed.
    Who's looking?

8. Ordered some from Speedway for $8 ea.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^
    Agreed, but I enjoy being able to chew my groceries ...

10. hepme

hepme

Old men and old cars are always a match. Face it, we live in a microchip generation that humors us but does find it interesting to look at the past. --and i have an antique license on mine but would love to drive a new 'vette!

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  11. Part number 6024......should be in stock

12. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I went to the parts store the other day looking for valve spring shims. They didn't have them of course but at least they knew what I was looking for.

13. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I got cursed a few years back by the HAMB. On one of the "I'm getting older" threads, the symptoms were described this way:

You know you're getting older when you get down on the floor, and while you are down there you check to see if there is anything else that needs doing on the floor before getting back up.

I caught myself doing that not so long ago. Remembered the HAMB thread, swore, then laughed. Getting old is better than the alternative.

Cheers,
    Harv

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We’re dinosaurs, driving cave man vehicles. Carbs, distributors ,points ignition, drum brakes, round head lights, all things that haven’t been used on cars in 40 years or more. Oh, the horror! How do we keep from killing people?:D:D:D

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You still got teeth?

0.29.gif

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  16. Agree! I don't like the alternative .

Ben

williebill, X-cpe and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  17. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Always liked when I worked in parts. "Back in my day a filter was 25 cents". Well it's 6.99 now. Always enjoyed the stories though.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tow Truck Tom and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can remember when a "party line" was a shared analog telephone network, rather than lines of "white powder" on a mirror !
    YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY !

20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

When was the last car built that had round sealed beam headlights? It must be 40 years ago or more, so it's not surprising the auto parts store didn't have any in stock.

21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When I worked my first job in auto parts in the late 60's a 24 qt case of oil was $10.13, but I made $1.60 an hour!

22. Jeep TJ 2006 I believe so only 18 years ago lol

23. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes a mockery of the belief that parts are widely available should you need them when out on a road trip!

Chris

24. This is why I stock pile parts.......I remember that no one had a rebuild kit for a 4 jet in stock in the 90s. So in that respect I've been old almost my whole life (Hence my handle).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  25. I worked at Kragen Auto parts from about 2000 until 2007 ish. As a general rule everything a parts store sells in stock are items that would sell on a somewhat regular basis.

I will be honest I am a little shocked that they did not have a H6024 headlight because they were used for so long that even after an absence in the market for the last 15 or 20 years there is probably still thousands of cars rolling around the roads that use them. I have a weird feeling you got a hold of a kid that didn't know his ass from the hole in the ground... When I worked at the auto parts store I was the only true gearhead in the 4 different stores they had moved me into. I wasn't paid enough for the knowledge I had hence why I quit, most of the younger guys were just doing the job for "date" money and most (not all) of the store managers and hire ups I can't figure out how they got promoted.
    I highly recommend to anyone not needing the part right that minute to go online and buy your parts from RockAuto or Amazon or eBay or whatever (all three are great for getting a good deal on parts), use rock auto to get your part number as they got a great digital parts catalog. Normally I'm all about small business but the reality is most of these Auto places are just overpriced chain stores full of idiots, I still have one that when I need something immediately I go to them first but they are technically independently owned and they use advanced for their parts, but they are the exception not the rule. If you got an O'Reilly's or an AutoZone and that's it you're more than likely going to deal with idiots.

26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm. If my memory is still working right, it seems to me that I got my ass burned on here not too long ago for complaining about the lack of knowledge with the current generation of parts pushers at the chain stores. Seems like the general consensus was that if they've never been exposed to the parts we require, they shouldn't be expected to know about them. To retaliate, I now order my air fresheners from Amazon.

27. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Rock auto is my go to place for most of the parts used on a regular basis (gaskets, carb kits etc) but I use O'Reilly if I need it right away. I always look up the part# first and tell the guy to ck my part number to see how good he is. I try to avoid conversations about what fits what because I already know what I want. Don't know why but I just hate going to. NAPA or Autozone.

osage orange and bchctybob like this.
  28. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You know you are old when you start counting your age in half years , I’m eighty six and half years old.:)

29. WilliD

WilliD
    from Illinois

When all the toys you grew up with are Labeled as "Antique" you know your'e there....

lostn51, 49ratfink, '51 Norm and 2 others like this.
  30. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have to agree, I worked in REAL auto parts stores for over 20 years and it does nothing but piss me off to go into a chain type parts store these days1 You have to be a gearhead to be a decent parts man and most of the jokers they hire do not know shit from apple butter. They punch it up on a computer and tell you "sorry, can't help you"

lostn51 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.