Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Some thoughts on the coming year

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chryslerfan55, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Well, here we are again. You’ll forgive me if I haven’t done this for awhile ( as most of you know I lost my mom recently and my dad last year so I’ve been dealing with it for a minute) . But as always I thought I might try this again. Same idea as previous years. What projects will you start/ finish, are there any events you want to attend, will you clean out your closets (asset liquidation that is, reduce the number of projects you have) , etc.. So post up your thoughts, ideas and the like. Remember, HAMB appropriate content only please.

-Brent-, jnaki, bubba55 and 18 others like this.
  2. Spooky

Spooky

Welp, I am going to try my damnedest to get the engine swap done in my '57 F100. The 272 developed valve issues, and a friend stepped up and offered a very nice running 1957 292 with ram's horns and a 57 4 bbl intake!
    And still I need to address the Edsel issues, rust repair, engine swap as well.
    Hopefully!

3. 2023 was the year of so many plans and getting to work on my projects. Life and family got in the way and each day rolled by faster and faster. 2024 is full of hopes to finally get started on my adventurous goal of building two cars at the same time.

4. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

2024 will be a year of refinement on Ol' Furd. The Harley Davidson too, I think. Both of 'em run and drive great. I could no doubt drive/ride either one across the country right now, (although my stamina might be questionable to ride the Harley that far) but some things need a bit of refinement. Or more precisely, not necessarily NEED, as much as something I want. A "Want Thing." Not a "Need Thing."
    It's all a bunch of little stuff that would make the driving/riding experience better.
    My smallish space keeps me disciplined. One car and one bike at a time. That is keeping them off the street, out of the front yard and away from prying eyes and nosey neighbors.

5. Sorry for your losses. I lost my Dad in 1970 and my Mom in 1990, and I still have "those" moments. Just try to treasure the memories and enjoy the smiles they bring you.

6. 2024 MIGHT be the year that my garage gets organized, but I'm not holding my breath!

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have reserved my space at the Portland Roadster Show in march so the new year will start the same as the old one wraps up, finishing my truck!

8. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

This year I will finally get my 59 Rancho back on the road after 11 years and go on as many road trips as I can. North East Vintage Drags, EMMR, Pine Tree Jamboree, maybe TROG will return(?). Whatever events I can find within a day’s drive.

In the shop I’ll start resto-building the 39 Zephyr and continue streamlining the shop. Wish me luck!

9. Thanks. I appreciate that.

10. ‘23 was not a great year for me so i’m hoping ‘24 sets me right again. I have a slightly o/t ‘68 project going on that most likely won’t be done but i hope to have it painted and being assembled by years end. I want to refine my completed ‘56 & ‘57. I need to continue selling what little i have left as far as parts. I want to do all that but i will spend time with my Mom my daughter and my grandkids.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    I hope to get the 62 race car finished and back on the track for 2024. Then I have some customer cars that need to get finished also.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely planning on going to the Monroe swap-meet and to the Good-Guys show in Puyallup and to the Portland swap-meet.
    Its always worth the time and hassle to go to the Portland swap-meet, you never know what you will see there, to either be dragged home, or NOT dragged home!

IMG_8151 (2).jpg IMG_8455.jpg

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I share your grief, @chryslerfan55
    I'm sorry.

Well... you know me.
    "Back At It Again".
    And then the shit hits the fan.
    And we go again.
    And then a crisis.
    And try yet again.
    And then calamity.

:rolleyes: LOL

And here we are.
    Let's give 'er another shot.
    I wish us all the very best this year.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  14. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

I am going to help my oldest son on his 53 F100 to get it into a more complete state. He has been working on and off on it for 10 years and I really need it out of my garages. I also want to finish the tin on the inside of my shop. Fingers crossed I will get it done.

15. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

I’v already started on the 28 Tudor
    adding turn signals, restoring the running boards
    and installing front bumpers, I’v started with the bumpers

ADFE2895-D0EF-4246-83BB-B6E587D8ED3C.jpeg

I still plan to replace the electric fan on the 29 Roadster

Loosing a parent is never easy, sorry for your loss
    I lost mine in 2006 and 2007

winduptoy, deadbeat, scotty t and 5 others like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Plans? Nope, not going there. I don't plan stuff anymore too far in advance, you never know what will pop up and screw up those plans. Just plan on trying to stay alive another year, and do whatever pops up. Lots of things I'd like to do, but if they get done, fine, if not, they didn't need doing right now anyway.

seb fontana, 56don, lostn51 and 5 others like this.
  17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

24078.jpeg Finish this so ScottyT will stop busting my chops...

18. Finish up the mostly done Barracuda, fix the front of the the Fargo from this falls deer incident and maybe start on Wifeys ‘66 Thunderbird

19. Want to get the sloper fresh engine etc. running before the end of the year so that 2024 will be the year of PAINT.

CSPIDY, deadbeat, Moriarity and 6 others like this.
  20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 29 RPU has to get running and driving this year. I want it to be able to get me to Lloydfest 2024 and back. Driving it to @Marty Strode's is something else I'd like to do. If I can accomplish either of those, anything else that gets done is gravy. I actually had almost a whole day to myself a couple of weeks ago and got some stuff done, but no time since.

21. I think 2024 will be my year of getting things organized and selling off some cars and parts I don’t need so I can focus on the ones I want to keep. I have already started that and have sold a couple cars (both o/t for here) just in the last week which is a good start. I don’t figure I will get much done on the 40 Merc in 2024 other than continuing to gather parts, but do hope to do some long needed stuff on my Fairlane. I may also try to get my 61 GMC on the road next year. I am also on the verge of buying back a slightly o/t car that I built a little over 30 years ago to be my brothers first car. It is technically sitting in the shop as we speak…. And, I need to get my Harley fixed and back on the road but we won’t talk about that here either. Oh, and 2024 is also going to be the year of getting some stuff done on my house. I am worn out just thinking about all the work ahead now. :rolleyes:

Also thinking I may try to limit events this year to focus on getting stuff in order. However, I am considering something like Hot Rod Drag Week or similar with the car I may buy back soon. :cool: Oh, and I think I am now committed to make the Detroit Autorama since I convinced my brother to enter something. :D

22. I think he’s just upset because he doesn’t have one. Hehe.

23. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I want to finish my 34 pick up. I'm dealing with cancer now ,but when that's done I'll get back in the shop. Also want to thin parts and projects down. Liked going to the hill climb here in Colorado, but that's gone. So are the dirt drags. they even closed Bandimere. Seems like there's not a lot of hot rod related stuff around here anymore. Enjoy going to the Roc, but didn't know there would only be a few days to register this December.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plan one is to make enough progress on the 48 to actually be able to say I did. I may have to build a rikety dirt floor shed to get it done in but I've run out of excuses.
    Plan 2 is haul a truck and trailer load of stuff to a couple of swap meets. If it isn't going on a current project it is going. I'm done saving for maybe later.

Now it looks like a March trip over the pass to Portland to see what Billy hauled to the roadster show is on the list.

25. My ass is dragging just from reading all the projects you'se guys are planning. Think I shall retire to my recliner and cogitate on all of this.

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

The last 3 or 4 years have seen my wife and I doing pretty much the same events (except we added Lloyd Fest last year). This year we are thinking of changing things up. She has mentioned she might like to see some National Historic sites on the east coast. We are looking into that, if it happens, it may well limit other activities.
    One thing that could throw a wrench into everything might be my Mother's situation. She has moved into an assisted living residence and it looks like my two sisters and I might have to prepare her house for the market. She has lived in that house for 55 years, that will not be a fun time.

27. Me too.

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have already started that. It has helped with my car and the home shop build.

29. Me too, but I'm not very good at it. The only things I have sold off have been responding to 'wanted' requests. Must pull finger out and take more positive action in the new year.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I price to sell and take offers. It's like a swap meet, no one comes back.