Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 500 ci Caddy Love

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sweetdick2, Apr 3, 2024.

1. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

I'm surprised the lack of enthusiasm for the 500 Caddy considering everything they have to offer. what most don't realize. they may look massive and heavy and boat anchor reputation, first your starting with 500 cubic inches, with a alum intake they weigh about 100 lbs heavier than a small block Chevy, in a mild rebuild form it's a easy 425/450 hp motor. Enough torque to twist your frame, all with a stock bottom end. no wild cam,high stall speed converter,no overheating, I can go on and on. I've used them in three of my builds and will use them again in my 48 dodge pickup.Something to consider, Just saying'

2. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You say that as if it's a good thing.

Ned Ludd and Deuces like this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had a low mile 30,000 , 500 caddy years ago....moved to Texas and sold it....want it back...I'd put it my 50 Desoto in a heartbeat,,,,

4. Deuces

Deuces

More like twisting the earth on a different axis......:confused:;)
    I had one in a '74 Sedan De' Ville.. To bad I had to scrap it because of a rear end collision...:mad::(

TheSteamDocII, mad mikey and SS327 like this.
  5. I read an article, someone put one in a stock car, maybe an IMCA modified. They were quite happy with it.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. It may have more to do with when Cadillac introduced the 500 (I believe 1970).
    This site catering to the '65 and earlier vintage....it may not be "lack of enthusiasm" for them, but rather respect for the guidelines of this site to mention them here (albeit fine line, as newer than '65 engines often get used on our "HAMB friendly" cars).
    I'd use one.

Ned Ludd, mad mikey, sawbuck and 4 others like this.
  7. I’ve got one.
    Does ok. Not overly impressed
    I’ve got a 68 472 that runs great. Using a 283 in my latest build. Just wasn’t worth the effort to fit in my worthless opinion. Plus doesn’t fit the era I was after.
    I got the 472 from a guy doing an LS swap in a caddy. Kinda seems like a downgrade vs a big caddy in that ride.
    I think they’re great engines. They are kinda ugly.

8. UGLY. Blasphemy!:p Maybe not as "pretty" as some, but ugly? NO engine is THAT!:D

Ben

9. Yep. Thay ain’t pretty.
    Not LS ugly.
    But not far either

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    Ned Ludd, SS327, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. mustangsix

mustangsix

Caddy engines are kind of enigma for me. The big 472/500 motors certainly have some pluses, but the lack of aftermarket support makes them a little harder for me to consider. Maybe if I had a big Buick or Packard or something like that, but for the cubic inches the big block Chevy is just easier.
    I have a 4.9 Cad aluminum engine I've been staring at for months and it's same issue. It has a lot of features that would make it a good engine for a light car, but it looks odd and there is very little available to juice it up. Not sure I'll get around to using it on anything.

Deuces likes this.
  11. 1pickup

1pickup

@mustangsix Did you say big Buick w/ a Cad 500? Coming right up... PXL_20240104_205517881.MP.jpg

2Blue2, bobss396, lostn51 and 8 others like this.
  12. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

I have a '73 model Cad motor and a Mopar big block RB motor, both ran when pulled. Really on the fence about which one to put in my '55 Chevy 2-door sedan. Leaning towards the BB Mopar because of the aftermarket support and that's what I'm used to. Some guys will be upset, but that what I have, and that's what hot rodders do.

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Like the plethora of crate motors, etc.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still in the middle of getting things worked out putting one in my 71 GMC 3/4 ton as my tow rig / haul or drag the other stuff truck. This one came out of a 75 ambulance that my buddy had and scrapped out because the body was too roached out to be any good.
    All I am doing to it is putting on an Edelbrock intake and some stainless headers that I picked up on Ebay. I had to swap pans to get it to fit and just like swapping Ford ohv engines that is an issue.
    The good is lots of torque and plenty of horse power and reasonable gas mileage if you drive with a degree of sanity.
    The bad is that they are hell for wide.
    URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...ot_(1061).png?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds][​IMG][/URL]
    You Can see here that on a 60 and up to 87 C 10 or 20 frame the exhaust is out over the frame rails. Then on a lot of rigs there is that oil filter right in the big middle of the way.

On one of my trips to Bonneville I ran into a guy who had a 500 Cad in what started out as a flathood Jeep C-J. Kind of a well built rat rod with no rat rod crap with a hot rod tube chassis, the engine and the Jeep tub and I think a roll bar that held one of those Jeep bikini tops that used to be popular with the CJ guys. I won't quote his speed claims but he said he had been burning up the highway with it.

15. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Mopar in a '55, That's blasphemin' Onliest Mopar that should be considered is a Hemi

SS327 likes this.
  16. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

Yeah, too bad I don't have TV host money!:D

Sharpone, 2OLD2FAST and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. Wife told me to put a 302 ford in her 56 Chevy if i wanted to. Just pulled a low mile one with a WC 5 speed
    She could care less what makes it go

hmmmmmmmm

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about now but back in the 80's a lot of the regulars who raced every week at the Woodburn oregon drag strip had 440 Mopars in anything and everything and those buggers were fast for what they were. They weren't fancy either, Junk yard engine, purple stripe cam and aluminum intake and headers and go.

19. 73RR

73RR

I have a pair of 500's in the shop, figure that they must be good for something, someday. Of course, sitting next to them are numerous B&RB pieces and as noted above, they also make gobs of torque and propel metal boxes quite well. The front mounted dizzy is handy and torque IS your friend.

20. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

https://cad500parts.com/
    this company has EVERYTHING you could possibly want or need for your caddy, they're not cheap,quality stuff

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Cad Eng Width 1c.JPG There are lots of reasons to like the 472/500 Cadillac.. For a big block style engine its pretty light. Much lighter than a BB Chevy and if you change from the cast iron intake to an aluminum intake ....replace the cast iron ex manifolds with shorty headers, this may be the lightest cast iron big block around.
    You can pick up a reasonably low mileage one thats been sitting for about $500 often with the usable transmission.
    These engines were designed to pull heavy cars effortlessly, so don't expect high rpm HP. About 5000 rpm is max with the stock stuff. The beauty of it is you can buy one and hone the cylinders a little without boring ......or buy some new cast or hyeutectic pistons and increase the LOW compression ratio. You can find sets of pistons for about $300 on Ebay or step up to something that costs more.
    The typical things that most rodders do to engines work very well here. The OEM cam and rocker arm assemblies are where they aren't hot rod material. Upgrade the cam and valve springs and install adjustable roller rockers........that's a must. Do your own pocket porting and even if you use the low compression you will easily exceed 400 HP and have 500 lbs/ft of torque all thru the rpm range. Torque is your friend, especially if you convert it to HP up top with a few easy mods.
    There is a company in Illinois that has gone under several name changes and screwed people. I'd stay away from them. There is another company (CadCo) in Arizona that has lots of info and gives good service. If you are interested in a Cad, the first thing to do is to obtain their catalog. It will give you all the information on building these engines and offer you the parts you need.
    Here is an actual measurement of a Cad engine I have. I shoved two uprights against the manifolds to measure width. Note that the very bottom of the manifolds do turn out some more.
    Cad Eng Top View 1h.JPG
    Cad Exhaust h5.JPG Cadillac Length.jpg
    Chevy BB front.jpg Chevy BB Left Side 001.jpg
    Cadillac Tech Specs 13 001.jpg
    Cadillac Tech Specs 14 001.jpg
    Cadillac Tech Specs 15 001.jpg Cadillac Tech Specs 16 001.jpg Cadillac Tech Specs 17 001.jpg Cadillac Tech Specs 18 001.jpg

The point here is that it's a good starting point for a really decent street engine. You will have a sh**load of torque at all rpms which makes for a very driveable street vehicle. No need to be downshifting unless you want to. Yes, you can adapt a manual transmission to it but it better be a strong one. A mild build should give you 425/450 HP without any ill manners of a peaky underdisplaced engine. Step up a little more and you can get 500 HP......and you will still have a broad rpm range. On the other hand don't expect it to act like a performance engine if you leave the limosene cam and valve train in it.

Sharpone, williebill, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  22. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Front mount distributor engines are always a wise choice. :cool:

400 horses (being realistic/conservative here) in stock form is nothing to sneeze at, but those outward turning exhaust manifold outlets are super inconvenient...but that can be rectified with headers.

Is Larry ????? in Florida (??) still the guru of performance Cadillac stuff? Maybe not anymore, been 20+ years since I read that.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/finding-cadillac-parts.298882/

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

That first drawing made me dizzy. I would give one a shot, if they were more prevalent around here. I haven't seen any in a long time.

Sharpone, winduptoy and mad mikey like this.
  24. Tried to un ugly mine some
    IMG_8085.jpeg

rod1, Sharpone, 1pickup and 7 others like this.
  25. I would run the hell out of it.:) Looks nice.;)

26. TheSteamDocII

TheSteamDocII

They're not hot rod material and hate being revved past 4500 RPM. They're definitely a good torque engine. They're popular with airboat guys. I'm not gonna lie, I want a 500 Caddy in a truck! All the torque will be nice.

Sharpone and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I beg to differ.... :cool:

https://cad500parts.com/

28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think they look pretty nice myself..............

Cad Picture 2 001.jpg

Maybe remove the distributor and run a crank trigger with coils below the headers and plug wires rising up from below. It doesn't look any worse than any other engine if you dress it properly.

Cad Picture 1 001.jpg
    How can you not love a face like that ?:D

Note: The CadCo site has a repository of magazine articles and videos on these engines to bring knowledge about them to one central location.....and its all FREE for your enjoyment.

(16) CADILLAC 472/500 | Groups | Facebook

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yes, but they do respond to modifications........see video below

www.facebook.com/reel/923001422717589

Sharpone likes this.
  30. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I had a 500 cad in a 63 Chevy short box step side truck It was a lot of fun . Drove it year around and rust got it! But I drove it many years!

Sharpone, Deuces, bobss396 and 2 others like this.