Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ralph Whitworth has blessed me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsonjoe49, Apr 11, 2024.

1. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

A good friend of mine turned me onto a storage unit auction and I ended up winning it. He was also responsible for the last crazy storage unit find where I found my M&V RPU. Well this unit contained Tom Cobbs Bonneville years. There is nothing newer than 1959. We lost Ralph Whitworth not too long ago and most of his collection was sold except Cobbs roadster and the storage unit full of Toms life. Tom’s Lathe, Drill presses, bandsaws, and personal toolbox. Hopefully I can find the three other engines. It’s looking like two of the three 55 Vette engines are here. One NOS factory short block and one that has been transformed by Tom to take about 12 pounds of boost Along with boxes of very hard to find engine internals, blowers, intakes, inlets and many one off pieces of speed equipment.

Attached Files:

2Blue2, tractorguy, Sharpone and 19 others like this.
  2. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Wow, what a treasure you’ve got!!! Congratulations, what’s your plans for this stuff? Museum? Sell? Personal stash?

3. W️OW! Went to the right guy.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man you sure got a knack for having that stuff find you! Some realy cool stuff. Those drilled backing plates are bananas!

5. catdad49

catdad49

Thar's Gold in them hills, sonny! Looks like you struck Pay Dirt, WoW!!

Sharpone, 41 GMC K-18 and hudsonjoe49 like this.
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow some cool treasures any more pictures of your great find

7. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Plenty of midnight overtime spent drilling those backing plates.

8. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Still digging through boxes.

Attached Files:

Sharpone, saltracer219, Tim and 5 others like this.
  9. That's fun history. :)

Sharpone and hudsonjoe49 like this.
  10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Wow! I thought all storage units were full of old clothes and broken vacuum cleaners. :)

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

Ralph was a super cool dude. He would be so stoked to know this stuff will get used.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

right place at the right time

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

14. Fordors

Fordors

Incredible, what a treasure trove.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ralph was one of the best people I've ever known.

Years and years ago, I complained about my HP printer on the HAMB. I fucking hate printers. At the time, Ralph was on HP's board and read the post. I had never met him before and had no idea who he was... Like three days later, I was sitting at my office when I heard a truck outside. This big moving truck backs up to my door and this team of uniformed and white gloved people delivered and setup a super fancy HP printer in my office. I still use it to this day... even though the ink costs like $400 a year.

We became pals after that... and he helped me so much through the years with advice, listening, etc... I miss him a lot.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does that aluminum nose go with the 26-27 Roadster? Great find! Bob

Sharpone, hudsonjoe49 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  17. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Ralph was in the process of recreating the Cobbs&Freudiger class F roadster with the blown 258 Chevy that was used in the Pierson Coupe.

Sharpone, Tim, The37Kid and 1 other person like this.
  18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @hudsonjoe49
    What a great story and a great score of some truly unique, vintage parts and pieces!
    I would assume that all of the treasures you have found, truly do not warrant, even being considered to be sold, all of those cool parts and pieces deserve to be kept together and safely secured.

That being said, @Ryan, inquiring minds are still pondering the fate of that pallet of cool vintage union tool boxes that you scored, in that semi sketchy adventure of how you obtained those, I thought that was a most unique adventure!
    Thanks from Dennis.

cowboy defending the ranch.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    tractorguy, Sharpone and hudsonjoe49 like this.
  19. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

Yeah man he was a great guy from what I’ve read. I’m meeting up with his wife soon to give her the filing cabinet full of purchased and sold cars and some important papers. Stay tuned for that adventure.

SS327, tractorguy, Sharpone and 4 others like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there a link to the auction where most of the cars were sold? I can only remember a few, it was a world class collection, hope they all have good caretakers today. Bob

Sharpone, hudsonjoe49 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

They were sold years ago. I’m almost positive you could find it here on the HAMB.

Sharpone likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The auction was in 2009. Even though it was an auction it was the Best car show I have ever been to. I helped Ralph find and purchase most of the historic cars that he had. It is too bad the museum did not happen. The museum project got axed because the state of Nevada was charging Ralph 5 million dollars annually in personal property tax even though he was providing a tourist attraction in his home town of Winnemucca...

Ralph was a great guy, we were pals, I attended his wedding, and a birthday party at his home. If you didn't know he was rich, you never would have known it by talking to him, I really miss him... here are the results of the auction
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/auction-results/rw09

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

We all had a favorite, mine was the RAJO T Lakester that is now in the Speedway collection. Bob

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I assembled the engine and got that car running when my pal Mike Guffey owned it

25. saltracer219

saltracer219

I never met Ralph but he tried to buy our #219 53 Stude Bonneville car for his Museum. I was not ready to sell so the deal never got off the ground. I still own the car and it will be returning to the P.N.W. soon.

26. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

That’s a neat car!!

41 GMC K-18 and Sharpone like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It kinda confuses me a little how these parts got left in a forgotten storage unit. Ralphs son kept the Tom Cobb car and as far as I know still owns it. I would have assumed that he would have wanted to keep the Cobb collection together... I wonder how that happened???

tractorguy, 41 GMC K-18 and Sharpone like this.
  28. hudsonjoe49

hudsonjoe49

If you don’t pay your storage bill they send you a friendly reminder for about three months and if no reply they sell it in an auction. This was a online bidding type scenario. My friend bid for me and won it. I had no idea what was in those boxes. I wanted the roadster with the Cobbs & Freudiger hood. Knowing that it was definitely someone with good historic taste I took the risk. I found out after that it was Ralph’s unit.

tractorguy, 41 GMC K-18 and Sharpone like this.
  29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Wow ! Fun stuff ! Grand Slam on the find !

41 GMC K-18, hudsonjoe49 and Sharpone like this.