Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 6, 2024.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This reminds me of a forum you started a ways back @Ryan -- Wasn't it Dogfight something? Whatever happened to that site?

I've been working on an off-topic car (Fox Mustang) for the past couple of years that I may try to start a thread on and see how it goes.

Deuces, Tim, seadog and 6 others like this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Myers Manx? Cool.

I hope the 55 Chevy with 20's still get deleted.

pigIRON63, winduptoy, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha.... I think I can see a squad of flying monkeys on the horizon!! :D;)

winduptoy, williebill, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  4. BigRedRivi

BigRedRivi

Hello to All,
    As you can see by my handle BigRedRivi, my name is because of my '71 Boattail Riviera. Now my favorite car is a '34 Ford but I can't afford one but I still love All Cars mostly regardless of year! I joined this blog because I followed a link and liked what I saw but the age exclusion was a minor bit of a drag but I just stayed in my lane. At 4H the car show yesterday an old timer (probably had 10yrs on me) was saying that he liked cars except for the lowriders. I told him that they don't bother me because like me they're car guys! To each his/her own, if you don't like what your watching then change the channel! Whatever happens I will just sit back and observe just like when I made supervisor, I didn't rush in and force everyone to change over to my way of doing things.

Stan Back, Deuces, Balljoint and 4 others like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Don't ever doubt my passion man... You'll end up swimming in my wake. :)

Nothing is changing. You don't have to look at anything posted in this sub-forum. In fact, if I hadn't posted this feature, you probably wouldn't have even known the sub-forum existed.

No need to be all dramatic about it...

That's a good question actually... I dunno.

6. Balljoint

Balljoint

Interesting. Having grown up in the 70’ and 80’s I became a dyed in the wool musclecar nut, but I also enjoy all makes of automobiles, some more than others of course. I joined the HAMB because my automotive tastes began to change with age and some boredom had set in with the cars I’d been enthused about for decades. I also joined to learn. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and it is certainly helpful to me.
    I understand the desire to keep it traditional, I think that has helped with the success of the HAMB. Eventually though, time is going to relegate our interests to a much smaller interest group, it’s inevitable. Does that mean you should open up the forum to Yugos or Chevy Citations or any other fringe interest? My thought would be to extend it to 1974 or 1979, that is just my opinion though and you know what they say about opinions.
    I will add this: To me, the biggest headache in any of this is not the cars I’m not interested in, but the invisible people behind the screens and keyboards who are always ready to create drama and discord, not just on this site but everywhere. If people would conduct themselves online as they did in person the internet would be a better place. Not that I want to eliminate individuality, interesting characters and humor from our midst, but courtesy goes a long way.

PINEAPPLE, Ned Ludd, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm already deleting posts... Fellas, this thread is on the main forum... If you want to bullshit about your old Volvo or Rivi, go post it in the off topic forum.

Scooterville, Sancho, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I applaud your willingness to give it a try. I think it may prove beneficial in a lot of ways. It will be an opportunity to bring more people here that don't have a history with really old cars, and as they peruse the site they will get exposed to the traditional stuff. I also think that there are a lot of older guys who are scared to death that some young guy will embarass them if they dare to ask questions about later stuff......but maybe they will also cross into the later stuff on occasion and learn some things that will help them. My suggestion is to keep the current sub-forum as is. Then the first basic rule of the new sub-forum would be that it can accept not only traditional but any vehicle made before (?).
    My thoughts are any vehicle from 2000 and before. I say that because there are a lot of trucks out there besides cars and they are very popular. Then I would not have a limit on the year of the engine as long as it isn't electric. While I personally don't care for the huge wheels and rubberband tires, I'm sure they will be posted if you do later model stuff. One of the big things I think will generate interest is the ability to use engines which have electronic fuel injection, and independent suspensions on older cars. There are a lot of cars and trucks out there that are built on later model suspensions......by old guys like me. It will provide us an area to post those vehicles, and others with similar interests can exchange ideas and pictures. To me the point has always been that if we want our hobby to continue, we must attract younger people, and getting them peripherally into the Traditional thing is a step in the right direction.

When I was at the Street Rod Nationals last year, riding my homemade Snapper mower/mobility scooter, I was stopped by a guy in his 40s(?) along with his son (18?). They complimented me on the scooter and some how the topic became "electronic fuel injection". Don't know how it got there, but the guy said it was too complicated for him with all those codes and programming. I'm not an expert, but I understand the basics.....so I explained to him that basically every input into the computer isn't a code, but simply a variation in voltage. I explained that the computer sends a known voltage (5V) to sensor. The sensor will provide resistance to the voltage. The amount it resists is variable and changes . Take something like an "air flow"......how much air the engine is drawing in. As the air flows past the sensor, it cools it and the resistance changes. Its a simple law of physics that the resistance to electricity flow changes with the temperature of the material its flowing thru. They hang a wire in the passage and run current thru it. It heats up and then the air cools it. More air=more cooling=more resistance to electrical flow. So the 5 volts now becomes 3.2 volts. Almost all those sensors work on a variation of this scenario.
    The computer simply takes the voltage reading it's getting back from the sensor and looks up how much fuel and how much timing are needed. There are multiple sensors but for the most part they all work similarly. With an aftermarket system you can change how the computer reacts to that. It's really simple and efficient........

My point here is that after 15 minutes of discussion, both the guy and his son learned something and they may build on that rather than avoid it. Including younger people in this forum may allow them to learn and become involved in older stuff as well. Or I could have just thanked the guy and moved on and nobody learned or developed an interest in anything .....old or new.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who are you and what did you do with Ryan?!!!

10. ERguitar

ERguitar

Is there an intent for the current "non-traditional" topics that currently get a pass (t5 transmission, disk brake conversions etc) to be shifted to this new forum? If so maybe some of you guys who aren't on board with this would actually see an improvement in "traditional" content in the forums you are watching.

11. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

@Ryan Does this mean you may post some information on your Porsche passion in this sub forum? I recently bought one and sure would like to see your take on yours. Thanks.....

Hollywood-East, Deuces, Tim and 3 others like this.
  12. NoSurf

NoSurf

I think it's cool some members who are passionate about cars but their build is not truly HAMB-friendly have a space to show and discuss.

ekimneirbo, Deuces, CSPIDY and 11 others like this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the times are changing. The membership of this forum is aging out and if you want to remain relevant you need to consider opening up the boundaries or suffer for not doing it. Just look at the amount of early style rods for sale in the for sale section. Most likely those folks are moving on to something a little more comfortable and fitting to their later years. I am an example. I am 70 and have loved early hot rods all my life, but the reality is I cannot fit comfortably into my early roadster and use it as much as I like. I cannot drive the car anywhere I want anytime I want, so I am considering something newer and more comfortable for the wife and I. I think at least having the discussions is a good thing. Where it goes or what it becomes will be interesting. Just a fact of life.

ekimneirbo, Deuces, Kume and 5 others like this.
  14. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Well fer shit's sake guys...(you know who you are !) READ what Ryan says about all the off topic being in a SUB FORUM...not the Hokey Ass Message Board! You have to scroll down to MISC section, then select Off Topic stuff to even get to the stuff you're butt hurt about! Take a pill, take a powder...it's gonna be ok.

ebs121781, 427 sleeper, Kume and 11 others like this.
  15. little red 50

little red 50

I think this place just got even cooler! Thanks Ryan! I think a lot of us that have traditional builds also have stuff that is not. This gives us a place to share our "other" cool stuff

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This decision had nothing to do with traffic. In fact, we have been on a growth spurt for 9 months now. I have no idea why... Because if you go to a car show these days, it's just old farts and their cars these days. It depresses the hell out of me that we don't have young guys showing up and showing off new ideas and ways of doing things while making fun of all of us and our stupid cars. I wish I was 20 years old right now... I'd piss so many people off. :)

This decision was really spawned from a conversation with Morairity over the weekend... He liked the buggy thread and I decided to create the forum to see if I could visually confirm smoke coming from his ears.

He's already promised he isn't going to moderate it.

I'm smiling... cuz it's just sort of fun to screw things up every now and then.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Will there be an additional section in the Classified section for the newly welcomed membership with large piles of disposable income?

Deuces, alanp561 and Sharpone like this.
  18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

My My
    Thank YOU little red 50.
    Some things that have been said today are making no sense.
    In school I was horrible. One course that really fit, for me, included Logic.
    I always use it as a measure of usefulness, and proof.
    Doubters,,, try to make sense, Please

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hahaha. Maybe some day.

20. Sharpone

Sharpone

We are Hoodlums after all

Deuces, little red 50 and chicken like this.
  21. impala4speed

impala4speed

Ryan, even if you should decide to scrap this sometime in the future thank you for at least giving it a shot. My personal cutoff is 1972, meaning I don't normally pay much attention to anything newer than that. But since my Impala is a '66 I'm pretty excited I'll now be able to post about my own car.

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Deuces, WC145, porkshop and 4 others like this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I see a big rabbit hole in the near future.
    I’m not kissing butt not thinking that sub forum will bleed red into the hamb forum.
    I’d really like to see it stay within the rails.
    Maybe I’m just getting senile in my old age.
    I give you credit. Maybe it will be something we all enjoy.

Deuces, WC145, porkshop and 1 other person like this.
  24. So far i love the new forum. It’s going to take some careful moderating to keep some focus. I think it can be developed into a “next era” hamb thing. REAL race cars, day two muscle cars, tasteful mods to later cars maybe. NO LS motors or clown wheels tho are my suggestions. Thanks for trying to make it work

25. Pav8427

Pav8427

Anything powered by gasoline or alcohol is good in my book. As usual the proper discussion will be held in the proper place.
    I look forward to change.
    As some say. Change is good.
    Thanks Ryan.

Ned Ludd, Deuces, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  26. Yes, they're drag cars, which was mentioned in my post. So we agree. Stockers and the like were what I had in mind.

27. Cool cars are cool cars, regardless of country of origin (see the Vedette), engine, or age. Go for it - ruts need to be avoided lest one get stuck.

scotty t, Balljoint and Sharpone like this.
  28. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I did enjoy the Dogfight forum while it lasted. I could be biased and say that '73 was a good cut off year, due to the death of musclecar and the upswing in street rodding. I was roasted years ago for my enthusiasm on here for Day Two musclecar, though I wasn't familiar with that term and called 'em HAMB style! Sheesh! I would enjoy seeing the older guys dig out photos of their "off topic" rides from those bygone days....even trucks and vans! I'm talking the seventies here, Gen X I am.

29. Man…I’m not sure I can handle this kind of change in the world. Next thing you know, we will be the NSRA. :rolleyes: Just kidding, but it will take some getting used to. I guess I can talk about my OT Chevelle now other than just in “conversations”.

30. Well.... This should be interesting.

Everyone should note that Ryan is pretty much warning us that this may prove to be a fever dream and should that fever break, this could vanish like a mirage. Hopefully Mark won't spontaneously combust. Although I feel that while I think he has near-impeccable taste in customs, the presence of those two 1/2-size 'show cars' (the VW and Manx) shows even he isn't immune to some of the later stuff. With that said, I have thoughts...

I've always believed the '65 cut-off was to keep the muscle cars out. That I get, although it shortchanged the revolution in the hot rod ranks. The current muscle car crowd is composed mostly these days of restorers, with a 'mine is rarer than yours' mentality IMO. This isn't a restoration site IMO and shouldn't become one; there's plenty of sites for those guys. But what about an altered-wheelbase late '60s Chevelle? Or strapping a 6-71 onto your Boss '9 Mustang? Squirrel's short-lived long-nose 'funny' Barracuda that crept on here then left. Those are all hot rods.

Should there be a year cut-off? This is a tough one. Personally, extending it 10 years is attractive but that leaves out a lot of interesting cars. Mid-'70s AMC Matadors are one of the swoopiest cars to ever come out, or maybe you want a street version of Glidden's all-conquering Fairmont. For the young guys, these cars are much more accessible as prices haven't gone through the roof. Maybe the best way to handle this is the way the states do: once the vehicle is 30 years old, you can get 'classic' plates for it, and it would qualify for entrance here.

As to the 'traditional' rods and customs, they simply changed. For rods, in '65 the aftermarket was just starting to get going, the muscle car wars made cheap horsepower available, and tire tech made huge gains. All things embraced by hot rodders, a lot of 'trad' cars got upgraded. 'Kit cars' were still in the future and home-brewing was still the norm. Were there excesses? You bet. By the late '70s and beyond you had billet everything, store-bought suspensions, kit cars, 'restyled' '30s aftermarket bodies, paint graphics, giant wheels to name just a few. How much of that stuff to let in is a big question.

And while customs almost disappeared post-'65, there were guys who carried the torch forward with newer cars. Harry Bradley kept doing sketchpads on newer cars and a few even got built. Those are still customs by any definition. One that has even showed up here is Zocchi's '68 Dodge. Again, accessibility to younger guys is a strong attraction. On a personal note, I like customs and I get disheartened sometimes when I view the long-running custom thread. There is a near-endless variation-on-a-theme with '30s through '50s cars with little originality. If you stop and think about it, a big number of the instantly-recognizable iconic customs were built in the '60 to '65 time period. I'd love to see that level of creativity return. Yes, it will produce some ugly cars to some eyes, but that's always been the case.

So for all the crying about how we're not getting younger guys into our little 'niche' of the hobby, this may be the future... Anyway, my .02 worth...