Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seat heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raunchy, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Raunchy

Raunchy

I just made a trip to Mississippi from Texas in my 26 Roadster. Everything was fine except for heat rash on my back and butt. I have a vinyl bench seat in black and red and it is sweaty. Does anybody have any kind of temporary cushion or cover that works for you? I remember the old woven ones with springs inside but haven't found one locally.

Sharpone and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  2. nickleone

nickleone

Search BEADED CAR SEAT CUSHIONS

3. I just used a doubled up towel in mine when it got that way. Worked well.

Sharpone, Tow Truck Tom and Raunchy like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Blanket, beaded taxi driver seat cushion, just about any of the cushions sold at truck stops, dining room chair cushions….

5. Raunchy

Raunchy

Good idea on truckstops. I haven't looked there. I'm not sure on the beads. All the Indian Cab Drivers had them when I worked there but have never had a chance to sit on them they look uncomfotable.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. Beaded seat covers are great on vinyl seats, they are like little massage balls. Yahoo!

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-6-7_16-7-9.png

Hello,
    When we drove our cars in the Summer heat, we just went to the local auto parts store to get a wire infused open weave folding back cushion. To top it off, my brother bought one first and then I went to get one for me when I rode with him in his new 58 Impala.

The air circulating around in the open window car went around the back of the sitting position. That was the point. But, one has to have the windows open. Without wind circulation, it won't work and feels like a hard cushion, which we all ignored as the cooling wind swirled around our backs.
    upload_2024-6-7_16-20-40.png
    Over time, the weight of the driver or occupant dented the springs inside. But, with the next generation technology, perhaps they will stay wide enough for even the heaviest or tallest guy driving to allow the cooling air to circulate back there. YRMV...

Jnaki

These days, we thought about no A/C back in our teenage days. We knew it was available in some cars, but robbing horsepower with the extra belts and pulleys was not worth it. Fast is fast and every inch or every speed product advantage was necessary when racing those big sedans in the 50s and 60s.
    upload_2024-6-7_16-19-57.jpeg Thanks... @themoose

Note:
    Not only did my brother buy one of the first cooling cushions, but he had a Sure-Fit Clear Plastic Seat Covers on both front and rear seats of the Impala. He was a fanatic about keeping the seats clean. I replaced the clear seat covers once in the time I owned the Impala. Around the Summer of 1962, when I was using it a lot.

But, when I sold the Impala to go aways to college, the new teenager who bought it wanted me to take off the clear seat covers. He had ridden in the Impala with me several times and now, he wanted the original red Impala seat surface to be the one he uses.

So, when I drove over for the last time to give him the car, he was amazed that the seat material was as if it was brand new and not single scratch over 8 years of hard teenage racing + cruising use. Thanks to the cooling cushions during the hot Summer months to act as a A/C system.

8. Sheep skins, believe it or not, you will not sweat, even in extreme heat.

9. SS327

SS327

I just learned not to fart in my seats. Trapped green house gasses mean butt warming! :D

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That aint right

11. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Well along with all that above, if you find yourself suffering anyway, run into a drugstrore and grab a bottle of baby powder.
    These days it is cornstarch. It will cool and dry. ( smell pretty too )
    Not that nasty talcum anymore.

12. Sharpone

Sharpone

Sheepskin or imitation sheep skin works in hot and cold
    Dan

13. I had a set that came with an OT '84 Chevy wagon. I should have not thrown them out. Very toasty in the winter, definitely cooler in summer.

14. 69fury

69fury

I prefer to use the sheep skins in the back seat...

-rick

15. GeeRam

GeeRam

Yep, another vote for sheepskin from me, brilliant in the cold, and brilliant in the heat.

Often seen used in aircraft cockpit seats for the same reason.

Raunchy, Tow Truck Tom and Sharpone like this.
  16. Raunchy

Raunchy

Checked on sheep skin. Man that stuff is pricey.

Tow Truck Tom and Sharpone like this.
  17. BJR

BJR

My daily has heated and cooled seats. Time to go to the junk yard and grab all the parts necessary to heat and cool your seats. :D

bobss396 likes this.
  18. Sharpone

Sharpone

But it’ll last for ever and as Rick stated in post 14 it has other uses;)
    Dan

Tow Truck Tom and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you got sheep in Wisconsin? Daaaaaady

mohr hp, Sharpone and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  20. deadbeat

deadbeat

Go with sheep skin,,,Us Kiwis know all about sheep, as there are more sheep down here than people,cheers

BJR, Sharpone and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  21. twenty8

twenty8

Give your Xmas present preference list to your family now.......... "Fleece Navidad".:D

22. BJR

BJR

There may be a reason for that! :p:D:p

deadbeat likes this.
  23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Another vote for sheepskin. I've used them in multiple cars, as well as on a motorcycle (note: not so good if you're riding in the rain, you will smell like a wet sheep for a long time afterwards. :))

edit: if you shop around you can find genuine sheepskin covers for $50 or $60, so they aren't terribly expensive.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    Sharpone likes this.
  24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The beaded ones make your back look like a waffle

25. plymouthgoat62

plymouthgoat62

Nothing worse than when your shirt rides up a little and you hit a bump. Your skin sticks like it's glued to the vinyl or leather, but the rest of your body still moves up then down. Yeeouch!

deadbeat and Sharpone like this.
  26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

This is an easy fix. Just cover your seat with anything that will stay in place while you're driving. Remove it when you want to show the car.

I cover the seat of my 2017 Ram 1500 with a moving blanket, not because the seat gets hot, but to protect it from sun exposure, and I don't remove it while I'm driving. I also put a sun shade over the windshield when the truck is parked.

Sharpone likes this.