Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Living the Dream - '30 Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tumblin' Dice, Dec 4, 2023.

1. The head itself has no combustion chamber at all, being totally flat, so the CR is determined in this case by the shape of the CC machined into the adapter, as well as the thickness. Sounds like the lowest CR people have done is around 6:1 and going up from there.

I haven't seen that style of adapter you posted, the ones that Neal Jern made had a CC that looked more like a Y-block and looked maybe a bit higher compression than that one.

Dannerr and throughbeingcool like this.
  2. dmar836

dmar836

Inverse coolness factor to me. We all want to do something to "make it our own" but the sooner you stop on this one the better(just to me). IMO, I love the look as found and the lowering was a logical move. The '35 wheels, 7.00 tires, wanting WWII O2 fuel tank, different gauges, etc. is, unfortunately, what would make it a belly button to me. Will hydraulic... oops, I mean, "juice" brakes be next? Just razzing you as it's cool either way but, you know, preferences. Just don't weather a race number on the side too!
    Most As are modified to basically the same exact stopping point so I think it was the look of this car, as found, that gave it such a striking "look". It looked like it was built back then and not now. The first page pics will always stick in my mind for inspiration.
    IMO we are seeing that the most challenging thing in a world where excess meets conformity, and what sets things apart, is just knowing when to stop.
    JMO of course,
    D
    P.S. The interior is clearly of modern design and manufacture.

Dannerr, 282doorUK and SS327 like this.
  3. Definitely understand your point. I'm keeping the A wheels so I can always go back. Right now, I'm chasing that iconic hot rod look that I've wanted for so long after lurking on here for a decade and a half. I really dig the way the front clip looks as it sits now, but, like I've heard others say on here, A's need big tires to fill up the rear fenders or they look kinda "empty." Any suggestions in that department, I'm all ears. Also, I'm hoping the bigger rear tires will make a noticeable boost to top speed for future road trips out here on the big highways of the West.

Functionally, I have zero problems with the A tank and love the nostalgia of it, but like I said, Gene Winfield told me I should buy that gauge cluster and put it on a hot rod when I was just a stupid teenager with even less money than brains, so dammit, that's what I'm going to do (at some point).

No plans for juice brakes at the moment, the mechanicals work pretty great. Might drop the axle in the future or might not and will re-evaluate the situation then.

Trying to tow a line here between keeping the soul of the car true to the way I found it and was able to realize a dream, versus putting some of my own touches on it and trying to keep it somewhat unique.

I am all ears to any suggestions anyone has and appreciate varied ideas and opinions. That's what makes this place so great.

Dannerr, catdad49, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  4. dmar836

dmar836

A 35 axle could drop the front a bit more without looking like the common 4” drop. I think the 17” and 18” wires with a little thicker tires help fill it up.
    I sought the same look until I burned out on them. Watching a TROG video will whet the appetite but after years of them there just isn’t much variety and most are new builds. I think the fender space is really mulled over on those Boyd hot rods and others into high end builds but I think it was all over the place back in the day and doesn’t always look bad. I do agree though, you don’t want jacked up and skinny!
    Best,
    D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    Dannerr likes this.
  5. Jeff34

Jeff34

The interior screams "free leather couch" from a CL ad. I LOVE it. I've been cruising the FB and CL ads for months to find something I can use.
    IMO, juice brakes may be important depending on how and where you plan to drive it, and who will be driving it. I'm going juice brakes on my '29 because my wife wants to drive it, and she might have a tough time with mechanical. Good to keep the stock wheels. I did, too, and will probably use them at some point. As @dmar836 said, a 35 axle would drop the front a bit. I like the A shell, too.
    Great car! I'll follow for sure.

Dannerr likes this.
  6. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

Congrats on the A, it looks great! You'll have fun tinkering as you go. Your heading in the same direction as my A, or can I refer to it as a hot rod now..? Not sure.
    Keep the updates coming and have fun as you go.

7. SS327

SS327

That is a dynamite looking car. Other than lowering it and going to the 16” wheels there’s not much else I would do to it. Just keep the chrome shiny.

8. dmar836

dmar836

I rest my case. ;)

D

9. That’s gonna boogie along with the Chev head on board, will be no surprise you’ll be looking for better brakes then.
    Love this build, especially the very first picture .

SS327 likes this.
  10. WC145

WC145
    from Maine

Helluva find! I'm in the "less is more" camp when you're starting with something as cool as that.

11. dmar836

dmar836

There is no reason good mechanicals won't work. I have yet to see an "upgraded to 1939 tech" be a great improvement unless the preexisting mechanicals were out of adjustment and also shot to death. Front braking bias is another story also fixable with mechs. Henry designed them for 60mph plus a factor. Slowing from 70 to 60 isn't the magic. If you need juice for 70 you'd need them for 45. Then you need to change your steering and suspension.
    Not saying they aren't easier to maintain(sort of) but he isn't adding hundreds of pounds in the form of a flathead.

Dannerr likes this.
  12. I did some more looking at how my front suspension sits with the modified spring pack, and the drag link is awfully close to the tie rod. As in, I need to bend that spindle up for more clearance, probably sooner, rather than later...

If I do that, it will put the drag link/spindle into the mech brake rod that connects the spindle to the backing plate. So, unfortunately the mechanical brakes will probably need to go, unless someone has any other ideas that don't involve something extremely convoluted.

Otherwise, I agree, when adjusted correctly the mechanical brakes work great, I have zero issues with their performance.

Dannerr, catdad49 and Outback like this.
  13. Well, fellas, she's on 16"s now, and I couldn't be happier.

The overcast lighting was perfect for some actual photos, so I couldn't waste the opportunity:

1H9A7911-sm.jpg

1H9A7916-sm.jpg

1H9A7914-1-sm.jpg

Bdamfino, Dannerr, catdad49 and 25 others like this.
  14. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Drop that butt down a click & you got it... Those wheels made a huge difference!

jet996, WC145, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  15. I KNOW a car looks good when I scroll to the photo and say "DAAAAAMN" out loud. Looks terrific. How many leaves did you remove from the front spring? Are you planning on running any center caps or trim rings? Looks great as is but I was just curious.

Dannerr, Tim and Jacksmith like this.
  16. Agreed. Might try a T spring out next time I come across one.

I believe there are 7 leaves in the front spring now. Unfortunately I re-did that spring pack so long ago I can't remember which ones I removed. Shackle angle is not ideal now, so that's another small fix I'll have to make at some point.

The plan was to hit Turlock this year and try to find some unique, original caps, but I actually have some other obligations that weekend and can't make it out. It's really hard to go wrong with trim rings, too, so if I come across some of those I'll throw them on and see what they look like.

That said, I probably won't do anything more cosmetically on the car until I get the OHV setup squared away.

Dannerr, catdad49, Outback and 2 others like this.
  17. dmar836

dmar836

Lookin’ good. Sure looks meaner.
    When you decide to swap brakes, let me know if you want to unload the mechanicals and the skinny wheels.
    D

Outback likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Daaaaaaaaam! Looks killer Man!

19. I haven't updated this thread in a long time, but I've been collecting parts, organizing the shop, and driving the wheels off her several times a week. I figured I'd share what I have on hand now.

I'm waiting on one small part required to begin the '28 Chevy OHV conversion, which I found through another HAMB member.

IMG_2476.jpg

After waffling between Strombergs and Holleys for carburetion, I decided to go the Holley route, and sourced two allegedly rebuilt 94s. These are both 59s, and I haven't opened either of them up yet. I will probably build a single carb manifold to start with, and then once everything seems squared away, possibly look towards slapping the second one on there.

IMG_4269.jpg

Not terribly exciting pictures, I know.

Another fellow HAMBer gave me a line on a Neal Jern adapter plate to mate the Chevy head to the Ford block, and that's the last piece of the puzzle I'm waiting on. The plate had a crack, which the seller is fixing for me and slightly modifying so I'll be able to use factory gaskets with the adapter. Hopefully, I'll have the plate by July and we can begin in earnest.

Once I get the head on the motor, I can measure and have Smith Bros do the pushrods, and figure out the distributor situation with FSI. The only other major item for the conversion seems to be to machine an adapter/spacer for the water outlet on the Chev head to mate up with the A pump and get it lined up correctly with the belt. That will get it on the road.

Oh, I'll need to plumb up a fuel pump, too.

It was miraculously easy to find these arcane parts through the power of the HAMB, which I am going to chalk up to divine providence and that this car is meant to have this head on it.

Stay tuned....

IMG_3324.jpg

Dannerr, jet996, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very! Cool.

21. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Just when I thought you couldn't make that coupe cooler...

Tumblin' Dice likes this.
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

What a grouse coupe, I'll be really interested to hear how the thunder bolt conversion goes & performs.
    It would be nice to have some before & after comparison's.
    The photo is a friend's solution to mech brakes & drop axle. IMG_1055 (1).jpg

jet996, catdad49, dmar836 and 4 others like this.
  23. Small update - I have finally received the Jern adapter and it is pretty impressive. Huge thanks to @Dan from Oakland for helping me find this part, and to the guy who sold it for getting it squared away with the machining work.

signal-2024-07-19-092315_003.jpeg

signal-2024-07-19-092315_002.jpeg

After much hemming and hawing about things, I think I will probably try one 94 as carburetion at first, possibly using a stock '28 Chev intake turned upside down.

Anyway, stay tuned, hopefully I can make some decent progress in the coming months. It'll probably move pretty slowly, but slow is still moving to me...

Dannerr, jet996, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  24. douglasb

douglasb

That spacer looks really cool. Hopefully it's an easy swap

25. patsurf

patsurf

dan from oakland is a help across lots of platforms!!

jet996 likes this.
  26. I'm sure 80% will be cake, and then 20% of pure irritating minor stuff, as always. Let's try to set something up before she goes under the knife, though?

For real. Thanks to the HAMB, I literally spent about 15 minutes "looking" for both the Chevy head as well as this hen's tooth adapter plate.

Dannerr, catdad49 and Outback like this.
  27. Well, I took her out for groceries today since it's only 105 out right now.

Couple things. Took the hood off to make it easier to plan fuel lines, etc. while I'm still driving the car. Was a matter of practicality at first, but the hood-less look is growing on me. Will probably look better once I get that head and the downdrafts on there and fill up the engine bay a bit. Thoughts?

Also, I know I said "one thing at a time" somewhere earlier up there, but I also have ADD and scored this nice pair of Guide 903-J's that match the car perfectly and put them on yesterday. A fairly minor detail, but REALLY changes the look of the car for the better. Very happy with these.

Here's what she'll look like for the next while:

1H9A9274-small.jpg

1H9A9273_small.jpg

1H9A9272_small.jpg

28. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Oh HELL yeah!!

Outback and Tumblin' Dice like this.
  29. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

Looking good! No hood suits the car, but I also liked it with one..