Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. j hansen

j hansen

2. That guy didn't even use Teflon tape!! What a maroon!

Rickybop, 29A-V8, Sharpone and 8 others like this.
  3. j hansen

j hansen

4. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

5. Ziggster

Ziggster

Got around to doing some re-org of the garage. Turned this old DIY dining table into a rolling cart to house my drill press, 6” & 12” disc sanders, and the grinder. Placed the two floor jacks on the shelf underneath for now.

A983CA33-6152-4254-AC42-D3CC76897D6E.jpeg

LAROKE, Sharpone, Jeff34 and 11 others like this.
  6. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Came out of an apartment that three of us were sharing one day to find one of the other guys tearing into his 394 powered '39 Oldsmobile sedan. The manifold was laying in the parking lot, and he was getting ready to pull the heads. I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was going to mill the heads. He didn't want any help, so I went to run some errands. When I got back, he had the heads upside down and was making slow passes across them with a 7-inch grinder. I just shook my head and went on.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I talked to Warren Johnson several years ago as he was taking a DA to the flywheel in his Pro Stocker., running the starter to rotate it.
    I asked him if that was his Armstrong Blanchard grinder:D
    We both had a laugh about it.
    Not the same but similar!

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Oh ye of little faith. It could be done, might take a few tries. (heads) It is easier to deck the block with a belt sander.

10. clem

clem

I have both metric and imperial tools, as most metric and imperial don’t interchange.
    1” equals 25.4 mm, (not 25 mm) - the rest can be worked out from there.
    The figures posted are mostly inaccurate, ballpark figures at best…….
    hopefully others don’t put too much confidence in those.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    Sharpone and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  11. j hansen

j hansen

You are not wrong,,
    Skärmavbild 2024-07-24 kl. 14.43.52.png

Sharpone and clem like this.
  12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I didn't take a photo, but I just swapped the rear leaf spring on a Model A with ratchet straps and some square tubing. I think I'll build a real spreader tool for next time.

13. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Maroon is a nice color! MORON IS THE WORD!

29A-V8, Tow Truck Tom and clem like this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Having newer cars that have a mixture of metric and American Standard bolts..............and me always having the wrong wrench, I got some pegboard and put it on an old/used/cheap Craftsman toolbox/workbench. I converted both of the wrench sizes to decimals and used a permanent marker to write the wrench size in both milimeters and Standard with the actual decimal size as well. Then I arranged the wrenches progressively from small to large. Now when I need the next size, I can hang the one I have and know exactly what wrench is slightly larger or smaller.....doesn't matter whether its Metric or Standard.

Workbench 4.jpg

Wrenches.jpg

I have a LOT of wrenches and I don't worry about brand names, just decent quality. This allows someone to hang multiple shaped wrenches of the same size...box, ratchet, offset, and shorties, which also gives you choice for the situation at hand. I buy cheap wrenches like Sears Companion and use them when I need to make a specialty wrench with my torch. Also, if you look at the cheap wrenches on the Tractor Supply "cheapie" table, they have thin jaws on them and work very well for changing small grinding tools in air tools. Bout $10 for a set, so $20 for both Metric and Standard.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    Sharpone, brEad, clem and 6 others like this.
  15. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Unless you are old and a Foghorn Leghorn fan. Then the quote would be, “What a maroon!” Bugs used the maroon line as well.

Ford52PU, jet996, Sharpone and 13 others like this.
  16. When I was reading it my voice in my head instantly changed to Bugs when I read "what a maroon" LOL

jet996, Sharpone, charleyw and 8 others like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was just looking that up but you guys were ahead of me. Wish I hadn't looked it up. It seems like so much else these days Bugs is wrapped in racism and maroon was a racist slur. So don't laugh at Bugs or you'll be a put in the hate speech box. :eek::rolleyes:

Sharpone, Tow Truck Tom and Algoma56 like this.
  18. atch

atch

Sharpone, LOST ANGEL and 56don like this.
  19. I'm planning to quit being an eraserest first chance I get, but in this case, I right away figured it was a "spell checker" error in that post and not a human error because only a maroon would ever spell it that way. :eek: :cool:

Sharpone and Six Ball like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Car guys are well aware of how spell checkers screw us up. :D
    Is there thread about that?:rolleyes:

29A-V8, Sharpone and The Shift Wizard like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you type in a word that doesn't exist, can you mess with the spell checker ? elcitset
    Spell it backwards....:p

22. Not in the world of Bugs Bunny!

Sharpone, Boneyard51, lostone and 4 others like this.
  23. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

This is why we refer to some people as ID ten Ts. Try it without spelling out ten (10) and no spaces.

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Not according to Bugs Bunny!

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  25. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

IMG_2377.jpeg It helps to remove the bottom threads on those fine threaded fan bolts to get them started easier.

29A-V8, Sharpone, charleyw and 10 others like this.
  26. RodStRace

RodStRace

That bottom area is a good place to dab a little anti-sieze, too.

clem, jet996, 29A-V8 and 6 others like this.
  27. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Have you ever struggled to get a "torn-up" oil filter off of a vehicle? My son-in-law called me to inform me that he was in trouble getting his oil filter off and would I help him. He had tried the "puncture a screwdriver through the filter canister trick" and "the LARGE pipe wrench trick" all to no avail. When I crawled under his vehicle, all that was left of the oil filter was approximately the top 1/4 of the canister where it screws into its housing plus many thin shards of the metal canister hanging down. The filter material was completely gone and all I could see was the drain-back holes and the threaded portion of the filter still TIGHTLY attached to the filter housing. Tried "the chisel trick" on a couple of the drain holes...still NO movement. Laid under the vehicle looking and thinking and went back home and made this "tool(?)" - not the prettiest but it got the filter off !!

The small cap cap screws went up in the filter "drain-back holes" and I locked them in place with a nut on each side of the plate. The plate has 2 slotted openings to allow variable spacing - depending on the spacing of the oil filter "drain-back holes". There's a 3/8" nut welded at the center of the plate to allow a socket on it. Oil Filher removal tool.png 20240717_140519.jpg 20240717_140718.jpg 20240723_104022.jpg

61Cruiser, Sharpone, XXL__ and 13 others like this.
  28. Gabby

Gabby

I had to make a similar tool to remove a small lawn mower filter. I didn't make at adjustable and want something that wouldn't bend so a cut up a Allen wrench to make the tool.

29. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Five seconds to smear the o-ring with oil versus half a day to butcher the filter out. Taught the neighbour's kid a few new words that day.

filter.jpg

Cheers,
    Harv

jet996, 61Cruiser, drdave and 7 others like this.
  30. Is that the stock filter from a grey motor??? I always have trouble finding them on my FB!
    I reckon I have changed 1000 filters in my time, but luckily have never had to resort to an axe to remove them, but thankfully there are some good tips here if I ever strike one.
    Who said canister "toilet roll" filters were no good? I never heard of anyone taking a sledge hammer to remove one of them!

Sharpone and Tow Truck Tom like this.