Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 Chevy clutch/brake pedal assembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brent460, Aug 19, 2024.

1. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

I'm working on putting together a 1954 210. I've got the bulk of the items needed but one thing I WANT is a pretty well bolt in firewall mount clutch/brake pedal assembly. With my current living arrangements I dont really have the space or time for fabrication. I've Googled trying to find a setup like this but all I can find is Walton Fab and they haven't had any in stock in quite some time now. Any help would be much appreciated. 20240323_163513.jpg

TRAVLR likes this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

3. Walton fab is getting back into operation under new owners. Contact Papa gee on FB. He's the new owner

TRAVLR likes this.
  4. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

Thank you. I'll give them a look.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  5. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

I'll give that a shot and see what he says. Are they under Walton Fab or Papa Gee on Facebook?

6. Papa gee. That's his personal FB and usually where he conducts a lot of business related talk. According to him if he says he has it you can still actually order through the Walton website. They were partnered up before Walton retired

7. That's actually where I'm getting my transmission cross members for both my 53 and 54

8. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

I would like to get a few things from them. Pedal assembly, trans crossmember, axle offset kit, and upper rear shock crossmember. I'm sure there's more but pedals are the main thing.

9. Id just redrill spring perches. Pretty easy to do. Or if you're going to lower it western chassis lowering blocks for 49-54 Chevy work as perch pin center adapters

brent460 likes this.
  10. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

I haven't decided exactly what I'm doing with the rear axle or suspension just yet. It will get lowered somehow. I'm trying to sweet talk my dad out of a Lincoln Versailles reared. LOL! It'll either get a 9" or an 8.8.

11. What engine you going to run in it?

12. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

Ramjet 350 backed by a Muncie M20 out of a 72 Z28. Eventually I want to move the throttle body to the side of the intake to look more like a Fuelie intake manifold.

TRAVLR and The Chevy Pope like this.
  13. As for rear suspension. One thing I never see people mention on 49-54 is how much stiffer the rear suspension gets after an open drive conversion. With the stock closed drive rear with it pivot perches they were meant to have each spring function independently of the other. In an open drive conversion it essentially turns the rear end into a giant sway bar. When I first got my 53 and I'd bounce the rear end of the car with all the stock stuff underneath it'd bounce like any other hoopty. Now that it's open drive it barely budges. And I'm still running the exact same shocks it had on the original rear as they were mint mechanically 1969 AC Delco pleasurizers. Between the cool factor and the funny name and year they stayed on lol. And with my 350 and 3.42 locker and crappy 225/75/15 tires it hooks decently well even on loose surfaces. So don't count out the stock rear suspension

brent460 likes this.
  14. If you have the rear end from same Camaro I'd just run that. Buddy is running a zz4 350 in a 49 fleet line with an 80 Camaro 8.5 and it's held up over ten years

tb33anda3rd and brent460 like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would hold out for the Walton stuff.

I have installed a ton of it, and it fits without fuss. All you need to do is paint it.

brent460 likes this.
  16. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

Yeah not going to count on the rear springs working for long term. It'll eventually get aftermarket leafs or a ladder bar or 4 link but that's a long ways off. Unfortunately the Camaros gone. If I could find a 8.5 with the proper track width I'm not apposed to that. 8.8s are cheap and plentiful for now.

17. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

Thanks for the 2 cents. It looks like good stuff and reasonably priced even in these crazy times.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The brakes on that Lincoln are inferior to about everything else out there, and they are obsolete.

8.8 rears are cheap, easy, and can be had with a locker and a variety of ratios. Non-obsolete discs can be had on them, too.

The axle flanges are solid, as in no extra holes to prevent them from being re-drilled for Chevy pattern. Bonus, they are machined on both sides, so only holes need to be drilled. Any machine shop can knock that right out.

19. You'd be surprised how well the springs will hold up. They aren't a light duty spring

brent460 likes this.
  20. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Versailles rear disk may be obsolete but they work darn good when set up properly. I have some on my OT 76 Bronco with 33 inch tires, 31 spline shafts, 4.56 gears, and they work great on the highway and on the rocks and steep inclines. I used to abuse the rig a lot when I lived in Texas and even made some big trips and off road trips. Never had a rear brake issue. So I'm not sure how anyone would think they wouldn't work on a 49-54 Chevy. Parts are still available at the local parts stores. I did have the flanges turned down to fit inside the stock rotors. But that is a one time deal. You could have the flanges welded and re-drilled to whatever bolt pattern you wanted at the same time.

brent460 likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When's the last time you tried to buy brake parts for one locally?

It has been a decade since I have found even a single part for one in a local parts store.

That certainly will not improve over time.

Can you buy one for $75 like an 8.8?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

I guess I'm lucky. Local Oriellys store has rotors in stock and can have the calipers by Friday. I also only live about 45 minutes from Summit Racing and they currently have parts in stock. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either they both have their pros and cons. The 9" would keep the car a little more period correct looking.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  23. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Since it has been a few years since I had to do any work on the rear brakes, I checked the local parts store. Pads and rotors are in stock for a 78 Versailles and the calipers can be there by 10:45 tomorrow morning. Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me. BTW those were at O'Reileys. Parking brake cables and pads are doable as well. Not much of a problem. Not sure about other parts stores, but I have a feeling most of them will have something available.

The Chevy Pope likes this.
  24. Honestly aren't many vehicles that are hard to get brake service parts for. Got the wheel cylinders for the stock front drums on my 53 at O'Reilly. I even have an AC Delco wheel cylinder new in box for my narrowed 55 Pontiac rear end I also bought at O'Reilly

25. 36 Tourer

36 Tourer

Hi Brent460 , I have installed these pedal box kits made here in Australia, cooeecomponents.com.au , bolt in, no welding, Auto and manual version fits hot rods, classics ,early Falcons Tri fives .

brent460 likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poppa G is also
    BGG Motorsports in Klingman, Az. 530-308-2533 bggmotorsports@gmail.com

Who took over a lot of the early Chevy pieces that Tom Langdon made or sold while 12 Bolt Tom does the 194 and larger Chevy six stuff that Tom Langdon did.
    I probably got one of the past pair of 250/292 cast headers that Tom Langdon sold himself.

brent460 likes this.
  27. brent460

brent460
    from Ft. Worth

Well boys I checked the website yesterday, they had pedal assembly and a trans crossmember in stock. I'm excited to get this stuff in my hands and on the car.

Attached Files:

TRAVLR likes this.
  28. 50chevytx

50chevytx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same pedal kit less the booster. No problems

brent460 and Davesblue50 like this.
  29. TRAVLR

TRAVLR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Brent,
    I installed the same transmission crossmember in my car. It is a great piece and it fit perfectly, but it is not designed for a Muncie, Borg Warner, or Saginaw type transmission. It will work "as it comes" with an automatic or a Tremec style transmission. There is no room for the shifter (it hits the upper hoop) if it bolts to the side of the transmission.
    I had to modify mine to work with my Muncie/Hurst shifter. When I get home later this afternoon, I'll try to upload some pictures of mine to give you an idea of what you can do to make it work. Just trying to save you a headache later.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2024
    brent460 likes this.
  30. Last 54 I had I used a tri five rear. Shock plates and shocks bolted right in place as original. Rode great with cleaned rear 54 springs a stock 54 leaf spring pads. Rod a Custom did a very good monthly article on the 53-4 Chevy. You need to find those articles. Save tons of time looking for parts.

brent460 likes this.