Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. snoop74

snoop74

Wouldn’t just fish plating pieces you but welded together do the same thing?

31chevymike likes this.
  2. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Question:
    Do the leaf springs need to be mounted perfectly parallel?
    My frame is slightly more narrow where the front brackets mount, so it might be good to make an outrigger bracket to keep the spring mounts the same width front and back.
    Mocked up rear axle and suspension today. Just a test fit. I’ll call Posies Monday to figure out the orientation of this shackle bracket. Not sure if I’m holding the driver or passenger side in the last pic. Not sure I’ll even need them.
    1934 Chevy Master 5W coupe.
    IMG_6862.jpeg IMG_6864.jpeg IMG_6865.jpeg IMG_6861.jpeg IMG_6858.jpeg

Six Ball and 31chevymike like this.
  3. @Jay Altemus I measured my 33 and the front of the springs measure 38" outside to outside and the rear measures 44.5". So the answer to your question is they don't need to be parallel. Here's a pic that shows it the best I can. Rear Leaf Springs.jpg

4. Doug G

Doug G
    from Manheim Pa

What rear differential are you using TFOCH ?

TFoch and 31chevymike like this.
  5. GM 10 bolt out of a 94 Chevy S10 2WD.

Six Ball and 31chevymike like this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey @TFoch, appreciate your knowledge and reference from your '33 that is guiding Jay's '34 Master build and other HAMBERS here as well!

Jay Altemus, TFoch and Six Ball like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The springs don't need to be parallel but I think the shackle bores do. Just a matter of aligning the perches.

Jay Altemus and TFoch like this.
  8. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

I agree 100%. That was my plan.

Six Ball, 31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  9. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

A few diversions have slowed my progress. My youngest son is visiting this week, and I bought a used derelict English wheel that badly needed cleaning.
    Finished cleaning up the English wheel tonight. It’s ready for service but I still need to find a way to move it around easily.
    Before I set the body on the frame, I need to add some sort of structural bracing to the horizontal body panel right below the deck lid. It’s really floppy. So tonight I fabricated a simple hanger support for the deck lid so it stays in place without falling down through the hole.
    Now I can see what shape to make the bracing for that lower panel.
    IMG_6917.jpeg IMG_6918.jpeg IMG_6919.jpeg IMG_6920.jpeg IMG_6907.jpeg IMG_6908.jpeg IMG_6921.jpeg IMG_6924.jpeg IMG_6925.jpeg IMG_6926.jpeg IMG_6927.jpeg

Tim, Six Ball, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good save on the E wheel. Great work here!

31chevymike and Jay Altemus like this.
  11. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Tonight was a flop. I’ll need to use thicker gauge steel next attempt. Either that or just fabricate the whole panel with new steel.
    Made a brace with angle iron tonight. Too thick for the shrinker so I made relief cuts to shape it then tack welded to retain the curved shape. Alas, the brace piece isn’t stiff enough to hold the panel in the proper shape.
    IMG_6930.jpeg IMG_6932.jpeg IMG_6933.jpeg IMG_6935.jpeg IMG_6936.jpeg IMG_6937.jpeg

31chevymike, TFoch and Six Ball like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If you welded a piece of round stock along the edge or in the angle?

13. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Current problem solved. I now have the deck lid properly aligned. Here’s a video I made explaining how I made a few simple alignment jigs. Now that I have it properly shaped, I’ll add some bracing to keep it that way.
    VIDEO LINK
    IMG_6984.jpeg IMG_6986.jpeg IMG_6982.jpeg IMG_6983.jpeg IMG_6985.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    tb33anda3rd, Kreepea_1, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  14. snoop74

snoop74

Jay- question for ya. I remember you blowing your car apart and it had the garnish molding. Did it all screw directly to wood? Or was it wood and metal ? Trying to figure out if there was holes in my doors and if they were tacked up

15. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

These are the pictures I can find quickly. I’ll look for more. The quarter window garnish looks like it was nailed to the wood. The inside windshield garnish was screwed down. The rear garnish was already removed and wood was gone IIRC.
    Door garnish looks like nails as well.
    IMG_7006.jpeg IMG_7007.jpeg IMG_7008.jpeg IMG_7005.jpeg IMG_7004.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
    Six Ball, TFoch and 31chevymike like this.
  16. snoop74

snoop74

That’ll work for me. All the wood has been replaced on mine, but you can see where the tack strip would be. May be easier to just screw it into small pieces of wood

Shitbox, Six Ball and 31chevymike like this.
  17. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

I hope to put the body on the frame today. Only a test fit. First I’ll need to tack weld this rear body to frame support to the lower rear edge of the tail panel.
    That piece used to be wood nailed in place. I hope it goes well.
    IMG_7035.jpeg IMG_7034.jpeg IMG_7033.jpeg IMG_7032.jpeg IMG_7038.jpeg

TFoch, Six Ball, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Noticing that "switch" next to the passenger side quarter window... Was it used to turn on the center dome light? Never saw anything like it Jay! Neat!

Six Ball and Jay Altemus like this.
  19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Looking at those rear body to frame supports, what are the two holes on the outer edge used for - rear fender brackets? Also, did you happen to mount the rear leaf springs to your frame yet? It appears that you have, but not sure if this setup is still in "mock up" stage...

Jay Altemus likes this.
  20. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Chico

That’s exactly what it’s for. Your 31 would’ve had one as well.

Jay Altemus, 31chevymike and Six Ball like this.
  21. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

BIG day for me. Body off the dolly and onto the frame today. Rear brackets are bolted to the frame. Rest of it is resting on the firewall. I won’t add the doors yet because that’d put a strain on the roof. Gotta get A and B pillars (front and rear door frames) installed to help support the body on the frame.
    VIDEO LINK
    ANOTHER VIDEO LINK
    IMG_7059.jpeg IMG_7056.jpeg IMG_7060.jpeg IMG_7051.jpeg IMG_7053.jpeg

22. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

I spent Labor Day morning at my friend’s shop. We cut and bent some new 18g steel. His 1934 Chevy 1.5 ton truck is in the background. The rusty piece on the table is the deck lid rain gutter for my 1934 coupe. Pieces on the table will be used to make a new one. We also made a piece for a new tail panel below the deck lid in case I need it. Still undecided about that.
    IMG_7075.jpeg IMG_7077.jpeg IMG_7076.jpeg IMG_7074.jpeg IMG_7079.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  23. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Frame is still resting on jack stands. The rear suspension is merely slid under the frame. Nothing secured to the frame yet.
    The body to frame brackets have 2 holes on the vertical plate and 2 more on a side horizontal plate. All 4 holes are used to secure the horizontal rear wood skeleton beam that runs from that bracket to the main floor beam. This pic shows the beam I’m referring to. IMG_6599.jpeg

31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There are Fisher body manuals for the closed cars.

Jay Altemus and 31chevymike like this.
  25. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

I’m lining up things. I have the rear of the body firmly mounted to the frame with brackets AND in the correct location. I used ratchet straps to pull the front section back so the door gaps are approximately correct. I used the original rocker panels to double check the distance at the bottom of the A and B pillars.
    I need some advice here please. In what order would you do things regarding constructing a floor and door frames?
    I’m trying to recreate the body rails that were originally wood using 1.5 x 3 steel tube. This wood piece I got with the purchase is for the passenger side of a 34 Standard. So it’s NOT correct for mine but it’s very similar to the rotten piece I took out of mine. The 90° iron bracket that was riveted to the firewall sits in the front slot.
    The wood at the slot is 1.25” thick, so I duplicated that 1.25” at the front of both 61” beams. From what I understand, I’ll need to bolt those beams to the frame.
    My near future plans are to fabricate front and rear door frames/pillars with steel tube so the body can have some rigidity. Nothing will be finalized until I hang the doors and confirm good fitment. I have the original brackets that connect the bottoms of the A and B pillars to the floor.
    IMG_7088.jpeg IMG_7091.jpeg IMG_7093.jpeg IMG_7094.jpeg IMG_7095.jpeg IMG_7096.jpeg

26. once you get the sills fabricated and bolted to the frame, I would get the doors fitted and swinging on the A pillar THEN fit the rear of the body to the doors. the gaps and bead alignments will tell you where to anchor the rear. of course tilting the cowl forward or back will change the angle of the body so having the A pillar only tacked in is important

Shitbox and Six Ball like this.
  27. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

I assume that you are referring to the “sill” as the bottom of the door frame. I’m new at this and sometimes I need to double check terminology.
    Someone suggested that I frame the perimeter of the floor and run beams left to right across the frame instead of running the 61” beam directly ON TOP of the frame rail. That makes sense. Today I’ll try to temporarily brace the body so the door opening is correct at the bottom. That way I’ll have more confidence fabricating the A and B pillars.
    IMG_7096.jpeg

28. mixerman

mixerman

"snoop74" I met you at the last Lonestar roundup and I have a 33-5 window and I have my window garnishs installed without wood. I know it would be a bit of a hike to come out to the College Station area, but you're welcome to come out and see how I did mine.

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

31chevymike, snoop74, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  29. yes, by sill I mean the 61" beam you refer to. the sills would be the perimeter "frame" of the body. it would be best to have them made, braces connecting them and bolted solidly to the frame. welting can be added under them [evenly] after the all the fabrication and paint is done. this will give you a solid base to build the body on. starting at the front and leveling and fitting as you go back .
    you are doing a great job so far