Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Hot Rods Preferred sized trailer for 1932 Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtopillado, Sep 8, 2024.

1. gtopillado

gtopillado

I have a 32 Roadster and wanted to ask guys that have same car, what size enclosed trailer do you think is best? Thanks

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20 footer, tandem axle with 4 wheel brakes.

alanp561 and gtopillado like this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Are you going to pull a trailer behind the car ?

4. It's a car.
    You are supposed to drive it, not store it in a box.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a friend that recently got a new 18 ft H&H enclosed car hauler for his 32 Ford. Long enough to make tieing his deuce down easy and enough room for some extras. I have another friend that has a 14ft low enclosed trailer for his deuces but you have to be a contortionist to tie the car down. I've had several 20 ft enclosed H&H trailers which work good for me. I favor a V nose with torsion axles with grease-able 6 bolt hubs and a 4 ft beaver tail plus a drop back flap on the ramp. I also order the Aluminum tread plate on the front 4 ft high. Also I'm very anal about tires so when it's new I trade up to 10-12 ply tires. Nothing worse than trying to change a tire with your ass hanging out in traffic. Also since my first trailer in the 80's I carry a good spare plus a simple 4X6 block of wood about 2 ft long with each end cut at an angle for a simple drive on jack. If your trailer is sitting outside buy a good set of tire covers.

6. gtopillado

gtopillado

I will drive it but I don't have room in my garage cause of boat etc so I want it safely stored instead of a tarp. Thanks for 0 usable advice.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024
  7. gtopillado

gtopillado

No

8. gtopillado

gtopillado

So 18-20 would be a good size and not have to be a contortionist. Got it, thanks guys

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Well, no snow load to worry about. What about a 18x10 “carport” thing, I’m sure you’ve seen them. I had one done years back fully sided, I tinned in the back and put a roll up door in front.
    May want to compare pricing between one of those vs an enclosed trailer that sits. Unless you have another use to haul with the trailer.

ekimneirbo and gtopillado like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I was just looking to have storage for it and not haul it around I would be looking at a 20 ft shipping container to have placed in a discrete spot on my property to keep it in rather than a trailer.
    If I was planning on hauling it even just once in a while follow what Krylon32 said, he knows about tying 32 Fords down in trailers just about as well as anyone and it is a pain in the keester to skinny under the front of anything to cinch the front down with the tie downs inside a short trailer.

11. gtopillado

gtopillado

My summer home is in Murphys Ca. so it snows a little. I'd prefer a trailer instead of a permeant structure cause I'll probably sell the boat when my daughter goes to college (5 years). Will have garage back when that happens. Plus the ability to tow to different state shows is alluring. Rather buy a trailer than pay monthly boat storage. My summer home is in a really nice neighborhood so want it to still have curb appeal. I have a really good size driveway thats wide so a trailer is ideal.

Budget36 likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Nice area, is Murphys. Had a friend I used to see there every so often.

gtopillado likes this.
  13. gtopillado

gtopillado

Advice I was looking for. Thank you for your time sir.

ekimneirbo and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  14. Hey Phil,

Different situations for different folks! We are currently down here at Lloydfest 2024, Would you like to drive "Stubby" my altered wheelbase 55 Chevy Gasser the 322 miles from my place in New London Twp, Oh down to Camargo, Ky with my Wife that has stage 4 cancer , but wants to participate with the rest of this amazing group??? I put Stubby in the trailer & bungie corded her wheel chair to the winch cable & away we went!

In response to the O.P.......

Your car will fit in an 18-20 ft enclosed trailer, but WHY limit yourself? The price difference is so small, buy a 24 ft trailer, so if you decide you want to buy a full bodied car or help a friend who buys one, you will be able to!

I currently have more than 1.5 million miles on this 24 ft all aluminum enclosed trailer & except for a 30's firetruck, I have never not been able to fit th ecar needed to transport in it! Agreed you are not doing this as a business like I do, but for almost no difference in price....why limit yourself?

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

verno30, twenty8, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  15. gtopillado

gtopillado

I'll keep a 24' in mind for your good valid reasons. God bless your wife as well. Thank you

16. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I used to haul my T-Bucket in a 24 foot enclosed trailer. I know, too big for a T, but I could also haul other larger cars and trucks, and no one keeps a trailer forever. A 24 footer is much easier to sell.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep it ready to move…Northern California can get mighty “hot” if there isn’t a flying water tanker near these days…

18. gtopillado

gtopillado

Never thought of that but you're right, in case theres a fire...easy to move.

Just Gary and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  19. Using a trailer for storage or parking your roadster in can end up biting you in the arse, Scott the owner of Temples salvage yard on Batesburg, South Carolina was storing his roadster in his trailer while building his new house, the roadster had less than 500 miles and was a fresh build, he returned to his home to find the trailer missing, along with his new roadster that was safely locked in the trailer.

The trailer was stolen in broad daylight and no one saw anything, trailers get stolen in this area on a regular basis, this time the thieves got a bonus, a 1932 steel hiboy roadster.

The trailer nor the roadster have ever been found. HRP

Bill's Auto Works and ekimneirbo like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, trailers do get stolen, I suppose you could remove the wheels and leave it on blocks. One thing to consider thoug is that it gets extremely hot in a trailer if it is in the sun.... All that heat for extended periods of time is bad for your car. If you can, park it in the shade

21. So . Does the boat , etc ,make you a living? You know, or should, there are peeps here that have boats, me included, but this place is for.......Nevermind..........Priorities I guess.......o_O

pprather likes this.
  22. iagsxr

iagsxr

You'll be happier with a 24ft. long-term.

If it's going to sit in the sun get one with a roof vent. A lot of new trailers have side vents. They make roof vent covers so you can leave the vent open 24/7 and not have it rain in. They also make reflective roof paint for trailers. It's supposed to help a lot. I've never used it, my trailer sits inside. Don't underestimate how hot a closed up trailer will get.

Has anyone mentioned an escape door? I kind of hate them, but they make it a lot easier to get in and out of certain cars.

Trailers get stolen. Either disable it when parked or put a GPS tracker on it. The ones I've looked at are powered by a 2032 key fob battery. There are plenty of places to hide it.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  23. I noticed you are in California.

Put the horse before the cart …

What is your tow vehicle ?
    How much does your 32’ Roadster
    weigh with a half tank of fuel ?
    Do you ever anticipate transporting
    any other vehicles in the trailer ?

The manufacturer’s rated towing
    capacity minus the curb weight
    of your vehicle will determine
    the empty curb weight of the
    car trailer you buy ….

Example:

Curb weight of my Ford F350
    Crew Cab 2WD PSD is ….

IMG_1675.jpeg

Curb weight of my empty
    custom all aluminum enclosed
    car hauler trailer is ….

IMG_1676.jpeg

These amounts total ….

IMG_1677.jpeg

This is my GVWR which is
    acceptable for my towing
    needs - my trailer has twin
    5200 pound torsion axles
    and the trailer has a
    10,000 pound manufacturer
    rating - I can legally put a
    6000 pound vehicle in it.

My current daily
    towing set up ….

IMG_1766.jpeg

Jim

verno30 likes this.
  24. Prior to Covid my custom
    enclosed car hauler trailer
    was steel full perimeter framed
    and weighed 7400 pounds empty ….

It had a 96 inch rear door clearance
    and twin 7000 pound torsion axles
    with 30 feet of floor space but
    the cargo capacity was roughly
    the same as my current trailer ….

IMG_1869.jpeg

Jim

25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I was going to mention that, but I agree with Moriarity that temps inside a closed trailer for extended periods should be a consideration if your 32 is in nice condition.

I also think HRP has a very valid point here, especially with all the crime going on in California. If you do get a trailer, I would think seriously about some form of theft deterrent so the trailer can't be moved.

Possibly a simple carport type metal overhang/lean to across the front or side of the garage. If its on the side, park the boat there. If its on the front park the daughters car there and put the 32 in the garage.

I'd think about both of the above suggestions a little more before deciding............:)

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24'er. You will be happy you did. More room, you may need to recover a larger car down the road, better resale value, room to build storage...I could go on. Never heard anyone say "damn, there's just too much room in my trailer". I love my 24 footer, I just dragged it to the beach and back this weekend. If you can afford it, buy an aluminum one. And if you still have money left over, get an escape door on the side and extended ramps in the back (for low cars).

There are two types of gear heads in the world, those that own car trailers and those that borrow them. :cool:

27. BJR

BJR

Just remember, cars in trailers are easy to steal, trailer and all.

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After parking-----Remove all wheels!

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had any issues with trailer theft (knock on wood) but one thing the OP may want to research is will his insurance company cover the car if the trailer gets nicked? Haggerty will if I am on a road trip but using it as a storage container? I'd sure ask.

Bill's Auto Works and clem like this.