Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Projects Look what I just bought !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Sep 17, 2024 at 9:06 PM.

1. SS327

SS327

56 is my favorite year. Beautiful car.

Sharpone and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. twenty8

twenty8

Real nice find. I'm jealous.
    Now, if there was only a way to find out what everyone thinks you should do with it...........o_O:rolleyes:

3. Budget36

Budget36

Make sure it’s EFI;)

4. Budget36

Budget36

There is a way, just post a thread on the HAMB!

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What no Dodge flathead straight 6 with a fluid drive trans?

6. Budget36

Budget36

I think the OP is like (no offense intended to a lady) a female getting ready.
    We “think” he wanted a Dodge, but bought a Ford/Mercury. We “thought” he was onto a T-Bird.
    He comes back with a Chevy.
    I bet it’s his fault for being late to engagements!!!

7. Here we go again :p that's a good one Vandy, perfect edition to the snakes :cool:

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I joke a lot.. of course everyone is free to do whatever they like with their cars...

9. You have me the same speech brother :D:p:cool:

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

V8, auto trans all the way!

Don't you have a 413 cross ram laying around? If you really want to piss everyone off, shove that big block Mopar in there. :eek: :D

Even though you fell for the Chevy (it looks like a nice car), it could still have the heart of a Dodge in it....

Sharpone, Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.

11. I have automotive ADD , I want to own ALL THE CARS !!!. I’m 45 and have owned 25-30 cool cars . Some Hamb friendly , most not , some have been euro-trash and some not . My preference in cars is very eclectic. But 50’s and 60’s North American land yachts have always been at the top of my list . I remember being 6-7 years old and getting a 55 Chevy hot wheels collectors edition , came in a plastic display case and the whole bit. That’s when I got hooked on tri-fives .
    And who would not want to own a 55 bird ? There cool , this one was was , but not really . It all worked out .
    It ain’t no Dodge , but it’ll keep me happy on those long lonely nights at sea !:p:eek::D

12. ...OR, he could paint the silver with a heavy flake silver, similar to the gold, but keep the original "theme".

@VANDENPLAS Sweet ride!

13. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Better photos of that car here https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jim_Jackson's_1956_Chevrolet
    As a guy who wanted to keep the 235 in my 62 Bel Air but it gave me no choice, go V8. The 235 is fun and different, but the SBC is just better.

14. To me the SBC is not better than the 235 , just more cost effective .

I was looking online on my local classifieds and there is an edelbrock duel carb intake with a set of Rochesters on it for $1200 bucks :eek::eek: an offey valve cover ( painted ) for $500 !!! For that price I can get a running SBC mated to an auto trans and be on my way more or less .

figure I can do a v8 and trans wether manual or auto for 3 grand or less.

if I wanna go all in with the inline 6 I’m at 5 k easy .

Johnny Gee and Sharpone like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

less than a year ago I bought an NOS fenton header and an NOS offy dual carb intake for a 235 for 100 for the pair. yes that was a smokin deal, but they are out there.... by the way, did you sell the 40 Merc?

VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  16. Sharpone

Sharpone

17. @Moriarity

Merc is still for sale .

picking up the Chevy on the week end . My older daughter when she found this out told her mom “ Where gonna have the coolest driveway in the neighborhood!!” Man I love my kids when their in my side :D:D

yeah I know the deals are out there , there are 2 more big swapmeets coming up in the next few weeks I’m gonna check out.
    Hoping what I saw last night was simply a dreamer . When I sold off my 235 hoard 8 years ago or so I sold the same edelbrock intake with Carter carbs for $550 !! Offey valve cover polished and in mint shape for $250 !!
    So yeah , in no rush it runs fine as of right now , so I’ll do my usual and look at the classifieds nightly and find the deals when they show up !

with everyone and their mothers going “LS” you would think this old inline 6 junk would be worthless :D:D:D

Speccie, Budget36, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

how is the 6 that is in the car? is it worn out or is it a nice runner? your car man, if you want a v8, go for it

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. 05snopro440

05snopro440

By "better", I don't mean the cost. In my case, the SBC made the car a quieter, easier to drive (better acceleration and passing power), much more fun cruiser than before. The 235 was more fun with the hood up at shows, but the SBC is more fun anywhere else. Just for me.

Ken Smith and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Including installing an automatic?:cool:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sure if that is what they want....

51504bat and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. 6 runs great slight tick from the hydraulic lifters is all but no smoke and takes the car down the road just fine .
    Gonna run it and have fun with the 3sp for now .

a buddy is parting out his Iroc has a 396 that’s built with a t5 trans he’s looking to get rid of so that’s an option

at work we have 2 Chevy 2500 vans with the 6.3 I think ls ? That I can have for nothing , but they are ugly engines with tons of wiring . The price is right ( zero dollars ) but the ugly factor is wayyyy high on these engines .

Carbed chevy V8’s pop up all the time for not to much money , I’m not overly worried .

I’ve also see from time to time good running fully dressed 235/261 engines with trannys pop up when guys go the v8 route also .

plenty of options , just happy she runs good and it’s not a priority right now .

23. twenty8

twenty8

Who the hell are you, and what have you done to the real Moriarity............???:confused:;)

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sarchasm: The void that exists between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

And the response from the HAMB would be even uglier!

25. twenty8

twenty8

Mmmmmm, could two free ugly engines be sold to help fund one nice SBC/TH combo? I wonder......

26. Homemade spilt exhaust
    Weld 2 more carb flanges to the stock intake

painted tins with pin stripping

Budget36, VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  27. 05snopro440

05snopro440

The vans would be the (notoriously gas-sucking) 6.0. The vans never got the better 6.2.

People building an LS-swapped turbo vehicle love them, so if you wanted to make the effort you could flog them for some money to buy speed parts for the 6 or whatever tickles your fancy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Back story as to “Y” Carina’s 56 got a V8 TH350 over the original 6 and 3 on the tree. Due to her height working the pedals was difficult at best. I was willing to rework pedals so it all still looked stock but she said no. So an automatic was the next best since there was one sitting in the garage already. I wanted to put it behind the 235 via an adapter kit until I seen the cost. Now couple that with the 235 had crank clearance issues (low oil pressure and knock knock at first fire up) but it ran like a top and we’d drive it on 100 mile plus trips like that with no issues. So 235 was salvageable. Then I ran across a complete 283 not even thinking V8 swap at that moment. The ringer was the 283 was cheaper than the trans adapter. No actually, it was “hey Carina, you wanna V8 in your car!?”…

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 10:15 AM
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice! I like those 4 dr hardtops.

VANDENPLAS likes this.