Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Hot Rod Pickups (VALUE)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Sep 19, 2024 at 9:30 AM.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built 4 32 Ford pickups and traded for the last one. Building a good quality early pickup of any year costs nearly as much or sometimes more than some early cars. I have been lucky over the years to get close to my cost for my trucks. I constantly see 28-34 Ford pickups selling for ridiculously low prices. Steadfast Mfg recently offered a really bitching 30/31 A pickup with all new Brookville sheet metal except the cab plus one of his chassis with a QC for I think around $27K? He's had a couple 32 trucks in the same condition for sale in the same price range. Great value for the money. If that was a 32-34 roadster, coupe or sedan that would be at least double. It's been this way for many years, are hot rodder's under valuing their trucks or isn't the market there any more. I take my daily driver some where and it always draws positive comments plus and occasional picture. If my Avatar deuce 3 window and my pickup were parked side by side at a show More people would stop and look and take pictures of the truck than the coupe. OPINIONS.

tractorguy likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Where are they? All I see have street rod prices

05snopro440 likes this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

" I constantly see 28-34 Ford pickups selling for ridiculously low prices."
    Price evaluation depends on perspective. One persons low price can be another's overpriced.

05snopro440 and firstinsteele like this.
  4. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Several years ago steadfast did a few closed cab 28/29 A pickups sold as rollers. One of them ended up south of me in Calgary, AB and has been for sale on an off for a few years now. I think the guy gathered some parts but otherwise I think it's in much the same condition as when purchased.

The whole thing looks to be a really good project, but for the asking price anyone that finishes it is most likely going to be way upside down in it. It isn't a problem for some of us, but you can buy running driving cars for what he's looking for. The $22K isn't the price as pictured, you have to scroll down to the bottom for the real prices.

Any 32-37 early Ford pickups around here seem to be high priced, a few years ago just a cab was $5K+. There a restored 1928 Roadster Pickup near me for $25K CAD. It has been listed for a long time. A few years ago there was another stock one in slightly lesser condition that took quite a while to see at $12K CAD. Prices for old stuff are all over the map here, but a 32-37 pickup complete and driveable would fetch a fair penny quite quickly.

upload_2024-9-19_11-54-7.png
    upload_2024-9-19_11-54-33.png
    upload_2024-9-19_11-54-59.png
    upload_2024-9-19_11-55-29.png

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I've a 32 p.u. as well, but must confess those 28-29's are super neat with their small frontal cowl/hood area & those swoopy front fenders confirm its identity.

6. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

to me its a hobby and I enjoy it

tractorguy, Papas32 and alchemy like this.
  7. Up here 50’s to early 80’s trucks have a huge following , be it restored , 4x4 , resto mod , pretty much whatever .

I think it maybe the earlier trucks have smaller cabs with the population getting fatter , and realistly no one is going to use it as a truck . So to pay an inflated price might as well buy a car .

As has been said , where you are located makes a big difference in price , west ( Alberta Manitoba and Saskatchewan ) classic car prices are much less then in Ontario and Quebec , why ? Population density is my guess .

tractorguy likes this.
  8. 05snopro440

05snopro440

That's why I'm building a 28 Model A Roadster Pickup, it just has the right look to me and a lot of cool lines. I like the closed cabs too, but they're small and I wanted a roadster.

The same era is definitely more popular here in Alberta too. The pre-war stuff definitely doesn't have as much of a market foothold as the later stuff does here. Cars that people can easily get in and drive (muscle cars) are a lot more common to see than the early stuff that requires you to fold yourself into and is a custom build to have a nice cruiser.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The Steadfast A pickup I was using as an example is a 30/31 and currently at I think $27.5K My comments were strictly as an observer with a few years in the hot rod business, not going in any direction.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would think the cab being so small most folks would pass on buying one. Me being over 6 foot tall I would have no interest in one.

tractorguy and lumpy 63 like this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I love the look of em... Really wanted to build one in my 20s, Then I sat in a couple of em and it gave me the cure.

tractorguy and saltflats like this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

6ft/240lbs/79/90+ degrees. Today I took my deuce pickup on a 250 mile run on hot rod business. I drive it everywhere everyday. One little detail that makes mine a little bit easier to drive is the LimeWorks column shift, not fighting the floor shift leaver with my right leg. I've built a couple 32 Fords since my first in 73 but this little truck is the most fun I've had in a hot rod in years. I guess growing up on a farm I have a soft spot for trucks?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 9:37 PM
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave up on early pickups after a friend built a really nice '36 Dodge. The bottom line was at 5'11" and 210#, I could barely ride in it with him (5'8" 145# 20 years younger) much less drive it. I really think interior room has a LOT to do with it.

I sold the '36 Ford 3-window I had wanted all of my life for the same reason. After 8 years, I just got sick and tired of being cramped all of the time. What is a really cool car when you are 30 can turn into a torture chamber at 55.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 9:18 PM
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Danny Burroughs let me try his 32 pickup on for size, and it fit surprisingly well. I’m 6 ft, 200 pounds, and getting up there too. But his pickup fits nice with just a little modification to the seat back. I thought it would be way too tight. No such thing.

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My 31 pickup is tight, especially for brake pedal. I’m 6’-1” 195. When I was younger I drove it a lot more. From Detroit area drove it to St Paul in 89 and Louisville in 88 & 92. The A pickups have always been priced lower than comparable cars. In terms of popularity 32-34, then 28-29 with 30-31 last.

16. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

IMG_0550.jpeg IMG_0545.jpeg They are kinda tight but I don’t think I’d trade it for anything

51 mercules, lumpy 63, bowie and 2 others like this.