Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods picked me up a 50 Ocho today..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2FORCEFULL, Sep 29, 2024 at 9:40 PM.

1. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

Just got back... had to drive 800 miles....it's a biscayne....327 365 hp , 4 speed car...any and all ideas and commits welcome... the ralleys gotta go.. they hit the a arms in front so there's spacers.and the rears rub going around corners.... not sure what wheels , but back in the day I liked the tru spokes best...pretty ruff ass diamond.....lol

I'm gonna pull the biscayne trim but leave the delray spear..
    IMG_3547[9100].jpg IMG_3548[9101].jpg

2. Is drive it

doesn’t even need painted

3. We know Anthony, we know. Hehe.

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  4. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

new brakes, new gas tank and lines.. has front and back seats, but no door panels or headliner.. fresh corvette 327 and 4 sp trans...needs windshield to drive it.... big hole in it...

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

6. Supremes n narrow whites

2FORCEFULL and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Dave Stuckey built the Kandy Kart from a 58 Bel air kandykart4.jpg

SS327, 2FORCEFULL and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-9-30_6-40-2.png

Hello,
    You are quick to dismiss the rally wheels. They are nice looking and perhaps, it is the odd named tires that are the cause for the rubbing and mishandling. We had a set of rally wheels and used a Firestone carcass to get some wide Inglewood Red line Posatraction tires on our El Camino and the wheels were perfect.

But, I went a step farther in getting the new tires shaved to correct roundness... Yes, new tires were not round and caused a difficult ride home. Then the whole thing was balanced and aligned. No, Inglewood tires offered to balance and align the tires, but just up the freeway in Westwood, was my friend's shop. He was the expert mechanic and was the go to guy for balancing/aligning and suspension.

Jnaki
    So, change the tires first and then decide what to do to the rest of the car. My favorite 58 Biscayne was this one:
    upload_2024-9-30_6-55-5.png
    315 hp, stick shift Positraction and a consistent winner in the stock car classes at Lion's Dragstrip. (even over a 335 hp 59 Impala with a 4 speed.)

So, if you start with the tires first and get some different tires, then it might not rub and the look is still nice on the Biscayne. YRMV

MMM1693, 2FORCEFULL and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Sweet ride
    Tru-spokes would look cool
    Astro supremes would look cool-er !!

10. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

true spokes were my go to for 58's while my buddy did the supremes with 5.60's

11. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

the rims hit the a arms, so they put spacers.... now the lug nuts only are on with a couple threads.. I'll just get the right spaced rims... thanks,,,

12. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

If it were mine, I'd keep those rims and use lugged spacers.

spacers.jpg

2FORCEFULL likes this.
  13. Looks like a good start! I would also lose the ralley's and go with something that better fits the era.

14. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

when ralleys came out they were on everything...the 60-70's hotrod look would be ok with them... as far as the fit/// got no idea why 15x 6 ralleys hit the uper A arm???? I've had lots of 58's and don't remember ever having the problem.... maybe some one put longer upper A arms when they lowered it????? who knows till I get the wheel off and look... as far as the rears.... it's the tires... didn't measure yet but they look to be 12'' wide tires and they hit both sides.... could maybe put them on 7'' rims.... who knows???

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024 at 7:09 AM
  15. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

might be a good idea, but they'll make the front track about 2.5, 3'' wider...what i don't get is why do they rub on the front with 6'' rims?????? I'm thinking ball joints are shot???? it's still on the trailer waiting for a spot in the hospice ...sum ting wong though...

16. Just say no to rally wheels

17. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

Looks like a great starting point. I always felt the 58's never got the attention they deserved. I'm going to follow along as you make it yours.

vtx1800 likes this.
  18. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car looks cool. Lose the ralley's. What you really need is a set of Z 28 alum wheels for sale on the cheap here!:cool::):p:D:eek::rolleyes: