Register now to get rid of these ads!

Underneath every new rod....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burbanite, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

My personal opinions about taste aside - I think the paint scheme would be more interesting if it showed more depth. The motor is just sitting on a black background. I mean he's gone that far, why not go further? I hate to say it, but if he went the whole nine yards and painted a "period scene" (diner image, lined up on the starting line against another period car, maybe telephone poles flying by at high speed), as would be seen past the motor to create sort of a time-warp illusion, I think it would not only work, but look bad-ass too. Now it just loses any "illusion" and looks like what it is, a 2-D representation of a flattie slapped on a flat hood panel.
    Call me crazy, but I think with a little more imagination, that would be a great (dare I say it) mural.
    I mean the guy is at least making an effort to make his car in a can streetrod a little different.

2. I think I like the old one better.

Maybe if he could just finish peeling off the new crap paint he'd have something.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[quote='29MurrayTub]I think I like the old one better.

Maybe if he could just finish peeling off the new crap paint he'd have something.[/quote]

Now thats FUNNY!

4. haring

haring

This guy loves it.

[​IMG]

5. colorado51

colorado51

A V6 or a import 4 cyl.:rolleyes: :eek:

6. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.HAHA.

Doc.

7. Creative guys do strange things when they are in a paint booth.Might be the fumes, but one thing leads to another and you never know what it will look like until you pull the tape off and pull it out into the sun. As long as they were having fun when they were doing it, is the most important thing. I have had some really great times in a spray booth and we were always willing to take the ribbing from the guys that never tried anything but being critics.

8. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Noticed what he's parked next to? Musta been one heck of a show-n-shine.

9. ig'nant

ig'nant

Hahah! That about sums it up.

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

thats funny! lol

the van below,,that is pretty cool,,,
    if i remeber right,,i had a HOT WHEELS(tm) van that had a flammed 34 coupe painted on the side,,i think this was in the late 70's or early 80's..

11. Interesting that there's rain on the windshield of the flatmotor painted side panel roadster.

Not too afraid to drive it I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where I live is a crossroads for a lot of long distance travelers.
    And when the Fathers Day show in LA is on or the SEMA show in Las Vegas I see a lot of chainer type cars come through.
    Many of them with license plates from far away states.

I have yet to see an extra low, runnin zoomies, flat back "this is the way it was back in the day boys" car come through.

Not knockin' the trads, but the chainers seem to be putting more miles on their cars than are the other guys....

12. That almost sounds like a challange Jay. I'm going to have to see if I can cook up a trip out your way. Hamb Drags west? :)

13. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

I like this one better

14. Oh man . . . now I'm gonna have to drag out the big cam and stick the dual quads on the 32 and swap the 500 Carters to the 750 Edelbrocks, steal the 4.57 Detroit locker out of the 31 and worst of all . . . crawl underneath and pop the collectors open....:eek:

1/16th mile city street drags in September.
    1/8th mile drags at the airport show in October.
    Sometime in early November, the rock-a-billy gang puts on a pretty good car show/drag race - cept I'd have to paint some of my billet stuff to get in....:D

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Your comparing apples to oranges.
    Most so-called 'chainer' cars are 'glass (some steel) dropped on a NEW, Hi-tech chassis with late model running gear,ie: EFI...etc....
    They've got a shit load of money tied up in their 'investment', yet they drive 'em long distances to shows, and that's great, they're having FUN.......but to compare 'em to a trad rod......hmmmmm.....I don't know.....:(

Trad guys may not drive long distances 'cause it's 'traditional' not to. The roads "back in the day" aren't what they are today.......
    When's the last time ya saw a STOCK Model T or A on the freeway?????

16. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Not saying I like it, but man it's his ride, so he can do with as he wishes. The custom car lifestyle is so cool because everyone is different. I love air bags and big billet wheels but I too love the cheater white walls with radir wheels and suicide front ends... If everyone built something just like you and me, this place would be boring as crap and shows and cruises would SUCK!!! As an artist I reward creativity and it's definitely different. There are things I like and don't like about it, but I will not laugh at him or any of you if I ever see your rides. Can't we all just get along? LOL Well that is my opinion, do with it as you wish! Til next time...

17. Heck, I'd settle for some bench racing. ;-)

We'll have to see how things work out but I have been thinking about just such a road trip.

18. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Good idea, bad execution.

Would look better as a painting tearing across the salt flats on the wall.

19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I swear, you guys would bitch if they hung you with a brand new rope.

I like what the paint job says about the future being the past.
    I wouldn't paint a car like that, but I get it. It's just a paint job.

No Hot Rods were harmed in the making of this picture...

I'd let the guy who did this buy me a beer anytime.

At least he wouldn't be whinning about the color of the beer bottle...:cool:

20. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i AGREE 100%,,this kinda thing with people RIPPING on cars they see on the internet when they dont even have a car or shit in their garage has always seemed super stupid to me,,,

when i look at pictures posted of cars,,...i always look at them as a car,,then i look at the shit i like on them ,,...
    ...i dont ever look at the shit i DONT LIKE,,,i know what i like ,,why would i want to look at the shit i dont like about it,,,

look guys,, ,,,its just a car ,,a picture on the internet,,the guy didnt build it for YOU,,,i said it before,,their should be a REQUIRMENT to post a pic of your ride before you rip on someone elses,,,....

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

I remember we did that for a very short while.

Maybe we need to get back to doing that...

22. hatch

hatch
    from house

I miss the days of shooting a good lacquer paint job....no respirator....and a case of cheap longnecks for a chaser......yup, custom painting at its finest!!

23. hemi

hemi

If the hood sides were painted the tan color, it wouldn't seem as cheesy.... it is nicely done, but the motor is a little much....

And you guys keep acting like he's a high roller... airbrushing ain't always expensive, lotsa up and comers will do stuff cheap if given a canvas.

Also, properly built, periodperfect, trad cars can end up costing way more than a TCI/ZZ4/Brookville/Billet buggy.... having more money than you doesn't automatically make him a bad guy.

Taste, and the ability to say "when" or leave a "Hey, wouldn't it be neat to.." idea with the beer drinking BS session... is totally oblivious to cash.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How 'bout the ability to post a pic in your signature???
    Does it waste bandwidth/space???
    And Sam...what's wrong with your "i" key??? hahaha!:D

25. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Here's some other vehicles that were there. It's an annual charity event for kids. You bring ya ride and donate toys. No restriction on what the ride is, so yes the odd bandit slips in such as the Holden next to the roadster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Missing Link

Missing Link

:eek:

I honestly hope this comment was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek...if not, this may be one of the most hypocritical statements I've witnessed this year.

Every August but that's not really very often.

Back to the car at hand...I think the concept is original and from what I can see the craftsmanship of the actual painting looks to be top notch. That is not to say I like it, but I can appreciate it for what it is.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yes and no......it didn't come out right. (I have a hard time converting my thoughts to words) And if I have to explain it..... well.... you know.....:D

28. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I love cookies, especially, my Wife's Christmas cookies that are cut with her Christmas cookie cutters and then frosted. They'll compete with Denise's chocolate chip cookies, I'll bet. But the best ones are the butter cookies from the cookie press, the chocolate ones!

Oh, we're supposed to be talking about cars here... If I won the car in a raffle, it would get a repaint job. If it has an SBC of any variety, that would be yanked for a flathead.

These "stylish" type paint jobs on cars will date the car quickly. Besides "style" doesn't come from paint, it comes from the sheetmetal design and the workmanship of the designer.

Its time to quit posting and go hang the Christmas lights, that is after I wash the windows.

29. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd