Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Roy, here's another cammer, I got this from a site you may not be familiar with http://public.fotki.com/nitram22/auto_racing/racing_scans/

Mostly 70s west coast supers but a lot of other dirt champ/sprint/midget stuff. I don't want to sound goulish but the 70 Fairgrounds album has some amazing (but graphic) clippings of the Aggie promoted races there.

Attached Files:

2. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

One of the most famous sprint cars I've seen on here is sitting behind the #2 car. Jan Opperman's #99 Bogar sprinter.

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

So, if this post has just got to you too much, and you have decided its time to build one.. Here are the plans, and a word for word how- too, writen by Dr. M. E. Bowles himself.

I apalogize for posting all these words on a picture thread. Just right click and save it for later... But every vintage sprint car guy should have these on file. AND BE SURE TO READ IT SOMEDAY!! Its killer!

The best part about these plans are they are based on building a sprinter from early FORD parts! EASY AND CHEAP!

These are the plans I followed to build my dads car.

Enjoy.

This is the car..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I started The Replica "Bowles Ranger Special" this week. I built a new Frame table, got it leveled up tonight, and layed out the two rails.

This is the car.. Same one as the above plans, but with a Ranger aircraft engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, you should start a new thread with this build. I just checked this one on a whim since it kept popping back up. Could have just as easily missed it.

6. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Man I agree with Kevin
    "Doc"

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Start a thread of this build Josh! Are you guys gonna put the new sprinter(your dads) in the Cavalcade this year? Hope so I can't wait to see it...Ryan

8. I don't have any great pictures to post, but I have sure enjoyed looking at all these vintage sprinters, especially the Terre Haute Action Track photos. I live in Terre Haute and used to frequent the track a lot back in the 60's. Not so much lately. But as an aside, there has been a lot of discussion (just this week), about an offer made to the Fairboard to purchase the land and develope it into "retail" space, since it now sits in the heart of the I-70/US41 shopping district. None of these offers mention relocating the track, or the adjacent dragstrip, just eliminating them. I sure hope that doesn't happen. Man, talk about a lot of history! Later, Phil

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yeah.. I will when it gets further along.. I like keeping it amongst the hard core fans right now:p

Dads car will be at Cacilcade along with a few others. Depending on how far along I am on this Ranger car, I might take it in bare metal..

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey roy.. and all you guys. Theres a picture of a sprinter going through the ROOF of those stock barns in turn one at the Fairgrounds.. Any of you have it?

The barns in background of this shot..

[​IMG]

11. racer5c

racer5c

No but I think I have one of Bettenhausen going through the roof of one from Syracuse, I was there that day just a kid but remember it well

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thats the one I'm thinking of Roy... I had my Miles mixed up. Post that prick!

13. racer5c

racer5c

have a better one gotta find it

Attached Files:

14. Fiorano

Fiorano

15. racer5c

racer5c

Jimmy Bryan in my dad's midget

Attached Files:

16. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Didn't Dave Blaney flip into the McCormick Building while racing a wing car at the Indy Mile?

17. racer5c

racer5c

Sorry Tracy this is a non wing production

18. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This is my favorite thread! I thought the "Dragsters in Motion" thread was it, but this one brings back so many more memories for me!

Keep it going guys!

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ha:D! Yeah... I gotta agree with Roy. No napkin holders.

But good looking out! Wing cars on the mile were fun to watch.. Carrying the RIGHT front!!

Keep it coming!

Joshua Shaw

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

G.B. at Syr.- His injuries from this wreck pretty much put the ky-bosh on his deal to drive for Penske at the time.

Attached Files:

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

My memory is pretty fuzzy anymore, but I recall a car going through the roof of one of the livestock barns along the backstraight at the Knoxville Nats. back around 76-78 (?) in a manner such as this:

Attached Files:

22. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Dub May did it at Knoxville in '78.

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The power of the HAMB! Thanks hotrawd, I was pretty sure I saw that but it was the "70s" after all :D

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Earlier I posted a pic of Jerry Blundy and it occured to me that the IMCA/central states (west of the Miss. river) guys never really got the press or recognition of the "glory boys" of the USAC/Pennsy circuits. Guys like Beckman,Leep,Goodwin and Wooley were as good as any and knew how to stand on the gas. Anyway, here's another one of that group, Bill Utz out of Misssouri:

Attached Files:

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Appears that 64 was the year of the "artsy" injector stack :)

Attached Files:

26. REDDOG

REDDOG

any pics of the cars as thay pass a flagman on the ground taking the checkered?

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Damn.. Guess I should wathc what I ask for! Tipical HAMB.. I ended up with a slew of roof punchers! They are all great!! My memory had just lumped them all together..

Heres some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That # 91 Weld super, while not technically a sprintcar, its damn close enough and it's a real beauty. Here's the side view:

Attached Files:

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Of course, a full body, a rounded 'real' nose with grill, bellypan, lots of louvers, and big honkin injector stacks will always spin my crank!

Attached Files:

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And speaking of IMCA/central states racers, here's 3 heavyweights.

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.