Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

WOW! Thanks!

The blueprints are dated 1947. Was the car new then? or were these done after-the-fact?

I also like the weld splatter burn mark that was scanned.

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

The blueprints are dated 1947. Was the car new then? or were these done after-the-fact?

I also like the weld splatter burn mark that was scanned.[/quote]

Yep, the car was new. The plans were made before the build. Sounds crazy today, but back then it was comon to have a set of plans made before ANY job. Even a sprint car, in a single car garage in Cin.
    I'm sure a few of you old timers will back me up on that.

The weld spatter marks just happened.. Always keep your plans close... but not too close!

Rootie... Great pictures man! You have been a great resource for this.

Thanks,
    JD

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While looking for flagman picks I found these Pikes Peak pics..

Sprinters were king at the peak for a lot of years.. and among the pics.. CHECK THIS ONE OUT!
    This phot is real.. Louis Unser BACKED ACROSS the finish line after a spin and still ran 4th place with a time of 16:05.2

[​IMG]

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Man I've lost so much sleep cause of this post.. I love it.

Here are some more..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good night.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I know this isn't what you were looking for but I couldn't resist. Actually it's not funny, as both the driver and flagman were injured, but both survived.

Attached Files:

6. racer5c

racer5c

Where the hell are you west coast guys??? I wanna see Bobby Hogle backin her in at Ascot, Dean Thompson, Jimmie Oskie, Bobby Olivero, Hal Minyard, Allen Heath, Bill Cantrell Billy Wilkerson, Buster Venard, Rick Goudy, the Tamale Wagon come on you left coast slackers!

Here is the Tamale Wagon Mosier Heads and all

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

Rick Goudy, Gary Patterson, Hank Butcher, etc

Attached Files:

8. If they got cages on 'em they're newer than '69. :)

9. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I apologize for my sinful thoughts.

10. The word was Bettenhausen was trying to circle the 1 mile at Syracuse without lifting his right foot off the throttle :eek: .

Needless to say, that didn't work. Guess it screwed up one of his arms with a permanent injury.

Pretty sure those USAC boys ran on Saturday and the Modifieds ran on Sunday. I caught the Sunday show, which I think Buzzie won, but missed the Sat. action.

11. butch27

butch27

Jonnyfast: Measure the yoke. I'm sure it takes a regular DANA U-Joint. I didn't have any trouble on mine and I connected to a yoke from a '78 Ford driveshaft. I'll try to find the number in my receipts.

12. VanHook

VanHook

I am really enjoying this thread, thanks to all the contributers for posting your pics. Never been to a sprint car race, but now I am thinking I need to go!!!

Hey corngrower, you mentioned a Dr. Bowels, I used to know a Dr. Bowels out here at the airport in batavia years ago, I worked on his airplane a few times. I wonder if it could be the same one if so I never knew he was in to sprint cars.
    Chad

13. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

May be a little off topic, but I think worth mentioning. The Rebel Run up in Lima, OH has a little sprint exhibition going on during the show. Last year was a treat because Gene Winfield hopped behind the wheel. From a spectator's view it looked like he couldn't handle the machine, but I heard a rock had got jammed in the accelerator and, in order to take corners, he had to momentarily kill it. I know some of y'all have made the show and know what I'm talkin about.;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Haven't made it to that show in Lima.. Richcraft mike and I were in town a while back hunting an old dragster and saw the Banners for the show, They had old sprinters on them! We pulled over and scoped out how to steel them... then out of respect for Old Sprint car guys.. we just couldn't do it.
    Speaking of that.. How about some old banners or posters.. SPRINT, MIDGET, AND CHAMP CAR ONLY.. 69' and back!!

(hint.. If it says "BIG CAR"... POST IT!!!)

like this,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

What the hell is the BATMOBILE doing in the background of this shot?? :D:eek: Am I missing something??

[​IMG]

16. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Just one of those golf kart things...find a hole and fill it, right?

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Better get yer ass to the Burg! Or if your real hard core.. You hit the USAC opener at Eldora in March.. I had a ride in a Modified at that one year and it got SNOWED OUT!! Pack yer lunch and a shit ton of clothes!

Don't know about Dr Bowles in an airplane.. I'll ask The guy I know.. Mark Bowles.. Dr. Bowles's son.

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

19. racer5c

racer5c

If there was ever a better looking car than the Bellenger 99 I have never seen it

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes Roy.. That car is unreal..

I can't stop looking at this picture.. The thing that gets me is..

The photographer had to have his back to the cars to get this good of a picture.. If you have never been to a sprint car race, YOU LEARN REAL QUICK to NEVER take your attention of the track... ESPECIALLY IF YOUR CLOSE TO THE TRACK. You just never know when a rock, or a tire or a CAR is gonna end up in your lap.

And to stand with your back to the cars at the MILE.. is nuts!

[​IMG]

21. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

This is my favorite picture from the whole post. If you have been to the mile and seen the cars up close at speed durring the middle of the race when the cars close together are in rythm with one another turning laps this picture almost makes you hear the sounds and feel the vibrations as the cars go by with the right rear kicking out ever so slightly.

Awsome picture.

Josh you are right. I would never stand with my back to any race track let alone this particular location.

22. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bob Hogle doing a structual integrity test of his r/f wheel and suspension at El Centro.

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  24. Buildy

Buildy

This thread delivers!!!!!!!

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

HAve any of you guys ever been to Atomic Speedway in Tenn.. That is a crazy ass bowl no way would I ever turn my back on a race there standing in the infield...no gaurdrails, no mole hill's nothing just you and the cars inches away........

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ron 'the shoe' Shuman at Ascot

Attached Files:

27. Youngblood

Youngblood
    from Ada, Ohio

I was talking to a couple friends of mine Nichols Brothers (they are the ones that make the steering units for the sprints, NBC units). These two guys have been in the racing for a long time and have had alot of good drivers come thru them. Anyways Don said he has a bunch of the old pictures and so on and wanted me to stop by Monday after work and I can get them. Once I figure out how to post I will.:D

28. Dale Frye's art, restored Edmunds sprinter, Edmunds hisself when he was ROY at Indy, Elder Cadillac at the Winchester Oldtimers, and Foyt and Jones preparing for battle at IRP.

Attached Files:

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wally Pankratz playing in the mud:

Attached Files:

30. Scott K

Scott K

Please, Please, Please....clue me in to some vintage events / reunions where I can catch some of this history in the flesh.