Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The 1957 NHRA Nationals

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 12, 2008.

1. Von Franco

Von Franco

Ryan i was just pullin your chain man, Shooter rocks i like his new stuff.And it did fit Norm
    to a T a Texas T...............................

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ohh... I know... I'm going to call you tomorrow. I want to come over this week. Mother's day screwed up my weekend!

3. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Amazing footage. Thanks to both of you for sharing this bit of history. Mike

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, I wasn't around then, but sure seems like drag racing use to be a lot more fun and interesting.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's funny... a few of us were sitting around this weekend and watching this video in its entirety (there are two or three other parts that I will show later) and commenting on how similar it was to the HAMB drags... There was an innocence about it, but also very much an edge of danger.

That's the HAMB drags.

6. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff norm, and I like shooter !

7. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Yeah, that could actually be norm. The guy in the photo looks like he is young & 9 ft. tall. That may be him.

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cool video. music was good also...

wish he would have shot some factory new racers (57's) to see how they were building new racers.

9. primed34

primed34

Great video. Thanks and I thought the music was good.

10. Big Kevin

Big Kevin

Norm's my hero. If I can be 1/100th as cool as he is when I'm 70 I'll know that I've done a lot. TOTAL RULER!!!

11. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Thanks Ryan. Brings back alot of memories. I seen the DCB coupe at the Nats. in 60, still stands out in my mind.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

13. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Norm's picture should be included in the dictionary for the definition of "hotrodder", no other words would be necessary. First Class guy, they don't come any better!

14. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I dug the music myself. The sad part about the video is it reminds me that at the fairgrounds, that historic track, is still sitting there, abandoned, with a horse arena sitting in the middle of the shutdown.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, I seriously need to get to the hamb drags soon then. If they are half as fun as that looked, I need to make the effort. I went to the March meet in Bakersfield a couple of years back and it was fun, but there is a mix of stuff there that I am not into as much. Maybe the hamb drags are more on topic - would be I guess. When are they this year? I'll go look at the calendar......

...ok, I guess I'm a fool and can't figure it out and didn't see it on the calendar. Can anybody tell me when it is? Maybe I missed it already this year. :(

16. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

A lot of spun aluminium wheel covers back then (I love them things !)

17. Ryan, absolutely loved that head bangin, reggae, punk, hard rockabilly, metallic music, but what's with the movies of those funny looking cars?

18. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Just because you like Boy George music,dose not mean that music sucks. :eek: Hell if its good for Mrs C. enough said!:D

19. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Good Ol Norm...........I was fortunate to get a copy to watch of Norm's 1957 world. Pretty dang cool. We are luckyto have him here in Austin. He has lived it like we all aspire to. I remember on one of our trips we were going thru Nevada and across Hoover Dam and took the tour and Norm is pointing out all the stuff he worked on while the dam was being built. yeah that's right, I am pretty sure Norm built Hoover Dam. And if you are ever ready to go on a road trip and got nobody to go w/............call Norm. He gets more kitchen passes than anybody I know. I'm packing my bags now cause Norm and me and some others are getting ready to hit the road again........Santa Maria here we come.

20. Great vid. I have no problems with Shooter, but was color sound home film available back then? Seems like you never hear audio with the old amateaur (pardon the beer spelling)films. Was that an extended front straight axle Bug about 1:39, rigtt before The Horse Race?

21. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

great show keep up the good work.

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

23. Marcie Cochran

Marcie Cochran
    Event Coordinator

stude_trucks - the HAMB Drags are August 23rd in Joplin, MO. They are always towards the end of August in the same town. Here's a link to the website with all the info: www.hambdrags.com

You can always check out the dates, locations and other information on all our events by clicking the Events link at the top navigation bar of the website. Hope that helps and we'd love to see you there!!!

24. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

Great video! Wish there was more info on the roadster with twin Paxtons.

25. I've got no problem piling on the praise for Norm. I've had the pleasure of riding with him for two Round-Up garage crawls and he never ceased to amaze me with the places and events he'd been at, people he knew. And it was never in a bragging way at all. Just been there and done that - living life large! And talk about a chick magnet:rolleyes: Three pedals and four rocker arm shafts are a must.

Little story - we're on the garage crawl and were leaving at from one stop (last to leave to make sure everyone gets off with now problems) and Norm has a flat rear tire. No big deal, no cursing, just go to the trunk, pull out the little very well worn leather bag, take the tire plug tool with signs of previous use out and plug the hole. Break out some air and we're at the back of the pack again like nothing happened (Did I mention the three pedals and four rocker arm shafts before?)

Nice stuff Norm. Can't wait to see the rest (with different music;)?)

Dennis

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome! Thanks Marcie. I looked all over the calendar and didn't see it, but never noticed the "Events" link. Not that is was too hard to spot being up at the top and all - my fault. I'll pay more attention to it from now on. Thanks again and hopefully I can make it out and glad I didn't miss it yet this year.

.....Geez, glad you pointed me to that. I just checked it out and noticed the Hot Rod Revolution event just over in Petaluma too in September. I have no excuse to miss that one. I did last year unfortunately as I had something I couldn't get out of. I am going to be sure to make it this year.

27. 18n57

18n57

Great video..........music makes me think it's QUIT'N time and cold beer time!! Anybody got a Shiner Bock

28. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice ! Thanks for sharing .

29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks ryan, I was there up on the railroad tracks on my bicycle watching the most awe inspiring thing i had ever seen, ruined me for life (I was 9 yrs old) ....................made me remember we had to scat when the train came along or the train cops , hehe........but it was worth it to see, hear, and smell the races below us...

30. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome footage! Norm is the true hot rodder's hot rodder. I'll be riding shotgun with him for nearly 3000 miles next week. Sure to be a blast. I'll take notes to share with you fellas :) .

And Ryan, you know you like that FUNK music too! Come on out of the closet man. :D