Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock Performer carbs. Any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Jul 29, 2008.

1. They'll go where any AFB lived before, they're a repro of the Chevy version of the AFB. Fuel inlet's a little different than a couple of the old ones I have in my junk. I got one out of the you-pull-it a couple weeks ago, if it doesn't sell then sooner or later I'll run it on a vehicle myself.

2. 1959Ford

1959Ford

Edelbrock is great only for a bolt on carburetor. If you want true performance and the ability to fine tune the carb, it's a poor choice. For a high HP engine, forget it....

3. hodaphile

hodaphile
    Alliance Vendor

We have one on our test motor at the shop it was perfect right out of the box!

4. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I've had at least a dozen of them, and never any trouble setting them up. Just bolt it on, hook up your fuel line and linkage, and run!...the rest is history.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I recently replaced my Quadrajet with a 600CFM. A friend shipped it to me, I took it out of the box, installed it and spent 5 minutes dialing it in. I gained 3MPG and great throttle response. I'd probably do better with a 500CFM, but I got a great deal on the 600.

Bonus, they look very nice. I wouldn't get the Endura shine. It's just TOO damn pretty. Has the "gold chainer" look to it.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Replaced the Holley with a 500CFM on my 302 Ford years ago, haven't touched it since.........:)

7. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

use a lot of them--work great--the 600 elec. choke has 98 primary jets--the non=choke has 100 jets--sometimes the elec. choke model can be lean on a modified motor at idle--have to richen the idle circuit--otherwise work well--worked on a hot (426 H.P. on dyno) 327 today with two 500's, Bullit roller cam, etc. etc.--runs great (4 spd car)--very responsive, no flats spots and runs very hard--great carbs.

9. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have noticed that all the Edelbrock carbs run best at about 3-4 psi. of fuel pressure. I run a small dial type regulator on all my installations and they work far better that without a regulator. Stock type pumps can put out 6 psi. and alot of times that much presure will cause all kinds of problems on the Edelbrocks.

10. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

worst carb i ever had.

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

I have one on the A. Bolt on and go, I've tweaked on it a bit, but not much.

12. tomslik

tomslik

yep, pretty much hit or miss.
    had a 600 on my wife's chevelle, worked great.
    have had others (customers AND my own) that didn't....

13. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've had a 600cfm on my 350 for about 5 years & I love it. The electric choke is great. My only complaint is that the aluminum casing has gotten very pock-marked & ugly. I don't think there's a reasonable remedy for that condition. I just bought a 500 cfm (manual choke) for my 283 for $240.00 (free shipping), which I thought was a good retail price.

14. I agree, that's what I was running in the Bel Air. loved it!

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. Sounds like you don't know how to tune them to me. I would much rather run them and AFB's on a dual quad setup than just about anything else. But then again I like to drive high horsepower vehicles.

You'll probably also tell me that Quadrajets aren't tuneable either...

You're gonna need to do better than that. Any reason. And not it didn't work out of the box is not gonna fly.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  16. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

im running a 305 wit centerbolt heads and im very happy wit it

17. 1959Ford

1959Ford

That's lame... I'm going to call bullshit on your post. You don't know me, so don't state that I can't tune a carburetor. Besides, you need to read a bit more carefully, as I said if you want the ability to "fine tune" the carburetor. You simply can't dial in an Edelbrock the way you can, say a Holley. Ask any of the race folks- 99% choose NOT to run an Edelbrock for this very reason.

So you keep on driving your high horsepower vehicle, I'll just pass you on by...

18. Uptown83

Uptown83

I was wondering about these carbs... you guys make them sound good. Im shopping for a carb for my very mild 302 and I considered this carb. I dont like the way they look though. How ever I am using edelbrock cam and intake so it might be the best match for me. Than I was reading 2 diff small block ford rebuild books and they recommended the 4100 Autolite from pony carbs. So I dont know what I'm going to do.. Anyone recommend the 4100 autolite over the edelbrock?

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

I couldn't find a core 4100 that would have cost less to rebuild than the EPS I found on sale at a local parts store (I got a discount on top of that too, it helps ;)).

I went with a EPS 600 manul choke (331 CID stroker 302 SBF). It's probably a bit much for the engine (I wanted the manual choke, not the richer jetting, was easy enough to re jet, and even came with a booklet that told what P/Ns I needed). That and the next stiffer step up spring is it (might tweak a little futher, but not much).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  20. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

As somebody who loves driving and hates wrenching, I love those carbs, and have put 'em on everything I've driven for years now. They usually run great right out of the box, and after tuning, they stay in tune, unlike a Holley.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You've pretty much proven my point for me. Hate to say it but you can dial in an Edelbrock or an AFB, seems you can't. :eek::D It's just different than a Holley, as a Quadrajet is different as well. Of course you have to buy all kinds of stuff 3rd party to actually make a Holley work correctly. And I would think you may want to limit your 99% of racers to drag racing, sure seems to be about the same amount at the local circle track as Holleys.

I guess you take everything on the internet serious. Lighten up Francis.

22. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

piece of shit leaked right out of the box could not get it to lean down ran way to rich gave it away for free and even that guy couldnt get it to work right. so dont go picking fights.:rolleyes:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm not picking fights, but " worst carb i ever had." doesn't really come close. Leaked from where would help too, what size on what engine would help too. Maybe if you would explain the issues you wouldn't catch any shit. It's kind of like if I came in here and said Ford's suck because one stranded me once. It needs a little context and not just wanting someone to take it on blind faith.

24. Pickin up a 500 w/elec. choke tonite for my 39 to replace the 600 on it

25. may not have been the carbs fault! on my 600 it acted like I couldnt adjust it,you gotta pull out the two screws in the front bottom (1 at a time)with the car running and blow it out with carb cleaner,Im seeing and so are some other guys that they are plugging up some with the shit gas and so blowing out the seats clears it up.it most cases!........and yeah Im puttin one on my 302 in my rag top also. killer DRIVER carb!

26. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Well ZMan, you're right all the way. If I can tune 2 of these carbs on a damn HO 305 with a tunnelram and still have it run a little lean, ANYBODY with even 1/2 a mind for setting up carbs can do it. It takes alittle time and minor changes to get the desired settings along with just a litlle patience

27. F&J

F&J

There seems to be a few of us who have had float settings being too high for real world driving. Like pulling off a shoulder and having the car/truck leaning to one side, A LOT. I ended up tossing edelbrocks recommended setting and used a AFB spec from a mid 60s muscle car in a Motors manual. I noticed all the AFB float settings were lower for all sorts of cars, compared to edelbrocks setting.

Mine flooded out and died on the side of the road with a loaded trailer. My Q jet would not have done that. But my Q jet is one of those with leaky welch plugs, so no carb is perfect all the time.

My other problem with the edelbrock is hot-restart or heatsink. If I haul heavy loads for long distance, then shut off and then try to restart in 5-10 minutes, it seems flooded. I guess I need an heat blocking plate.

I also think the way the gas companies keep changing the blends does not help either. JMO's

I recently had a defective solder problem on an edelbrock that cause one float to fill halfway with gas....worth checking if you have one that runs rich and floods over.

28. Thumper

Thumper

My wife runs a 600 cfm electric choke model on her 72 Monte Carlo and is tickled shitless with it. Been on there for 2 years and is a good all around carb on a mildly modded street motor. No complaints and she keeps her foot buried in the sombitch and has the tickets to prove it....LMAO.