Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Roth lettering "font" ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Aug 11, 2008.

1. McKee

McKee

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it was a unique lettering font, but there was a font package released called rat fink fonts i believe,,,,,based on several different roth style lettering,,,,maybe if you google it, you will get more info.........

3. House Industries used to sell it and some clip art and I believe the package was called: FINK FONTS...check SignCraft magazine as alot of those or very similar fonts are available

coming soon: rodtees.com

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I don't think it would be considered a font. It kind of was what it was...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Wow! You learn something everyday. Thanks for that.

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

It was (is?!) a cool product. House Industries knows FONTS! .....and style too.
    The Fink Fonts collection came in a "model box" with instructions to match as well as a bunch of promo cards and the piece dé resistance, an Ed Roth monster T. I ruined mine working in the garage, It has pit stains now. Roth would be proud.

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thats the one!!

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

9. You sure do. Who knew?? Every time Ed lettered anything for us, I thought he was just painting how ever the mood struck. It seemed so casual, and just flowed from his brush. I have to laugh when I see painters tapeing, or making grease pencil guide lines. Ed striped a speedster for us, lettered two midgets, two show signs, and did a mural on our midget trailer, and never once taped, or sketched anything. He just grabbed paint and brush, sat on his little stool, and had at it

"Fink Fonts"! How 'bout that! :cool:

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

here you go............

Attached Files:

11. gaschevy

gaschevy
    BANNED

$160 bucks!!!!!!!!!! They don't give that shit away!!!

12. You expect them to work for free?

I've got a feeling a HAMBer had something to do with that font. If someone feels like enlightening me...go ahead.

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

What is ironic was that Roth was a brush artist....I doubt he ever got near vinyl?
    He was a forward-thinker and embraced new technologies,so I doubt he'd object.

Signcraft magazine had an article where Roth showed how he would cut his brush and remove half the hairs to pull his own signature script.
    I'd pay good money to have that article again.
    It was genuis,pure genuis the way he did that!

14. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Those House fonts are invaluable to us, especially on poster and ad work....I feel strongly that the talented guys at House studied and are fans of the lettering on all the Revell kits and promos, Roth Studios shirt design lettering (Newt & Bennett did some great styles), and some of Ed's 80's & 90's lettering work....
    I think it was intentional, and very cool !

Ace

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Roth did a sort of book on lettering (I have it) with tech tips and a font shown. It seems to be oriented more to lettering normal stuff in order to earn money that to his main work...all about boat names and that sort of thing.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I am a font whore... and the House Industries stuff is by far the best out there... high quality and very much worth the loot if you do that kind of work for money...

17. Mechanics have Matco and Snap-on, graphic artists have to lay out $$ for tools too...

18. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Its a right off if your a business, then you can play with it lol

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well if the House Ind font is not what your looking for you might just have to do it the old fashion way and draw it out yourself then turn your drawing into a vectored drawing so that you can scale it with no distortion. Not that vectors are old fashioned in a any way but you get my drift.

20. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Doug (and anyone who might be interested),

That Name on the shirt is the basis for stuff like the "Fink Gothic" style in the fonts package....

Ace

21. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

McKee,
    Ed was using that style very early on, then Newt tweaked and worked it into a couple of standard versions, including the one you posted....

The closest font in the package is called "Fink Roman".....you could eyeball that for inspiration and hand render to your liking.....
    Hope that helps....

Or, hire one of these bright ,young faces on the board to design ya one....

Ace

22. The HOUSE INDUSTRIES stuff is primo...prints right, cuts right and they always toss in some cool clip art with it...check out their other stuff...they always package it up nice with some cool promo pieces...order one of their catalogs it will get your head spinnin' with cool ideas...they put out a cool book a couple of years ago too...

coming soon: rodtees.com

23. Ditto....House Industries never fails to please. The HAMB's own Coop666 has a wonderful package available there, as well.

The Roth set even comes with a t-shirt.

McKee: Fink-Heavy is closest and you can convert it into vector and play with the characters forever to tweak them into whatever your mind sees.

24. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

I have the font collection for MAC - postscript. There is a similar font like the one you've shown. Not exact, but close. Send me your email address if you can use the postscript fonts.

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yep, even though I have those fonts, I'll often "eyeball" a font and give it my own spin. I'm sure the Gods at House would cringe! hahahaaa

I had Ed sign my pit-stained shirt at the World of Wheels one year. I had it all folded so all he could see was where I wanted it signed. He asked if I liked the font package. Dang, he did not seem "into" being there at all, it was sort of sad. A few years prior, at another W.o.W's show he was very enthusiastic and even semi-wacky(?!), like the guy I always figured he was.

26. Fonts rock, surprised Ryan has not chimed in!?

27. Sage

Sage

Ranunculous,

I've got every issue of SignCraft ever printed (yeah, I go back that far). I did a search for "Roth" in the SignCraft Index but nothing like what you remember came up. Got any idea about when this was? If so, I can look for it, scan it for you and send it your way.

Ed was truly a genius. Taught me how to modify my airbrush. Every time I wear another airbrush out and need to replace it, one of the first things I do is modify it.

28. ray

ray
    from colorado

i remember a roth font flamewar way back in the beginning, like version 1 or 2 of the hamb. i bet ryan has it archived. seems there was some heated discussions on why the fuck someone would pay for the use of a font.

29. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

It's called Free hand cause it's done BY HAND ....Does everyone believe the Magic Box can replace talent , creativity and years of fine tuning Artistic ability?. gotta laugh at the "point & clickers"

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Not to hijack this thread...

Hey Sage,
    Thank you very much for your efforts!
    In the article Roth showed that by cutting half the bristles off at the ferrule you could create a script-excellent brush and then proceeded to give a complete alphabet example.GENUIS!
    He provided a perfect thick-to-thin brush and I'm amazed noone's marketed this to date(that I've seen?)
    Thanks again for looking for it!