Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Ramblur

Ramblur

I just want to thank all that have contributed to this thread. I was a little too
    young to enjoy the Jr Stock heydays but I devoured every old magazine at
    the local speed shop as a punk kid.So it comes as no surprise that when I
    turned 15 in 75 I sold my motorcycle and bought a 57 Chevy sedan delivery.
    You guys have been a very bad influence in my life;) and I thank you all.
    I drug the 57 out of storage a few years back after chasing the tracks with
    my son and jr dragsters for years. This thread is great inspiration to get it finished and back out.
    I have no idea of the history with this wagon other than the previous owner was in the Air Force in North Dakota. Somebody at one point had went to
    the trouble of replacing the side glass in what was originally a 150 2 door
    wagon with factory delivery panels and braces.It came to me with mismatched everything that leads me to that it was either raced at
    one time or at least attempted too.
    My early racing experiences(mid 70's) was all SS so I have nothing to
    contribute here but a couple of old pics of cars from the speed shop I hung
    out at.

406/4speed Galaxie:
    [​IMG]

Hemi Dodge with Jenkins Competition on the quarter(dated 1968)
    [​IMG]

My 57 shortly after purchase in 1975(couldn't wait to tear it apart)
    [​IMG]

Draggin in the 80's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JereStahl

JereStahl
    from York, Pa

Reference the Rose and the Stahl / Hooker decal. Was done many many times by many racers. I never blamed them. Hooker not only paid contingency money, but would give headers to any competitor who participated in major NHRA events for years. Then there was Bill Jenkins. Hooker paid Jenkins enormus sums of money for a few years and gave Bill any / all the headers he wanted. Hooker moved the business to Mexico many years ago.. I'm guessing about 10. Gary Hooker himself bought a home near the US / Mexico border so he could drive to the new plant. Then they sold to Holley... and that must be about 6 years ago. We were recently told by a Holley employee there is no one left in the Mexico facility who speaks english.

3. The In-Bomber would occasionally run a Sun and Stewart Warner tach at the same time for the same reason!
    -Dean

4. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Does anyone know of an early car(s) that used a "Snoopy" graffic (Charlie Brown "Snoopy").?? My '61 seems to have something that resembles that.

Thanks

[​IMG]

PS: anyone recognize those axle ends? They're not Chevy.
    Thanks.

5. Yes! This '65 Shelby GT350...
    -Dean

Attached Files:

6. ...wouldn't happen to be an article on "Champion '57 Chevrolets" in there? I may have asked before...
    -Dean

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Dean, The image of Jere (at Tulsa) is from ...

[​IMG]

Which DOES happen to include a piece on Jim Waibel's 57s ...
    [​IMG]

8. Hey Colesy,Thanks for the updated information on the '62 Plymouth. It was too many years back for me to remember. Bob

9. POPSTAGE2

POPSTAGE2
    from Wisconsin

The ends look identical to the vintage (69'-70'?) Summers Brothers axles that were used on my Stage2...I'll get you a picture if you would like.

10. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks! I didn't think Summers Bros axles had the hole in the hub. I thought they were solid and typically had a decal there.

Is it my imagination or does that look like Snoopy with a helmet on the quarter panel? Still trying to get some clues to this car's history.:confused:

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bob Rice, Bill Cole, 'Fast' Freddie, Verne, Doug, Bob Walker ... or any of the 'guys.'

I just had some 46-yr-old *8mm movie film (*not 'Super 8') put on a DVD ... the quality is very poor, but I thought some of you guys might enjoy a few images. I'm still figuring out how to navigate this (really pretty cool!) DVD frame-by-frame and select/store images. I, or some pals, took most of the film 1962-63 @ Capitol, 75-80 and York. Alas, *not many Jr Stockers ... but, meanwhile (* just the same) any 'requests'?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  12. VIC GUILMINO

VIC GUILMINO

can i get a copy of that dvd

13. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Steve,
    Obviously I'm partial to any "W-Powered" cars. It would also be neat if you have any of Mousie Brown, either in a '62 Sedan or a '63 Sedan (small blocks)

and don't forget to look for my '61 Belair!:rolleyes:

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @ 75-80 circa '62' Charlie Robinson

15. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    That's pretty neat. I hooked George Cureton up with Jim Amos, Bee-on-Video, and George sent Jim all of his 8mm footage that he had taken at Cecil County, Atco and Vargo. Jim was nice enough to send me a VHS tape of the raw footage after he converted it. Jim also has some of George's footage on one of the DVDs that he sells.
    Bob Rice

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Ditto on the '09 cars, Pontiac's etc. To me, going that far back, the stockers weren't as exciting as the factories battling it out in the S/S ranks.

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's an "etc." for you Doug ;)
    [​IMG]
    York 1963 ... Check out the suspension 'stance'

PS: See a couple more of FoMoCo's 'Finest' (@Capitol) here--> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3317484&postcount=1574

18. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks Steve. I love the picture of the blue '61!:);):D

I think the driver was looking at a girl at the fence though.....:rolleyes:

What's the known history on Charlie Robbinson???? Wrong color blue for my car, but it's close....:D

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

20. colesy

colesy

Just wondering if anyone can identify the fellow on the left beside the Wenzels. Possibly someone from Shaker engineering? Thanks.

Attached Files:

21. colesy

colesy

Indy 66. East verses West. Dave Kempton and his C/SA 62 Plymouth towed all the way from Arcadia California to capture the Junior / Stock gold over the Musser Brothers.

Attached Files:

22. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Bob,
    Any of rose on there?

:cool:

23. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Not a one. George was busy filming everybody else.
    Bob

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Jean Reno?

[​IMG]
    ;)

25. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I think Ernie Musser might appreciate that photo. I just spoke with him recently and he's looking for all 3 of his cars.:)

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Not 'exactly' 'Jr. Stock,' but I didn't think you guys would mine if I shared this just the same.

In the early '60s 'sports cars' had their own classes. This DVD (from 8 mm film) that I just got back from the photo lab sure does bring back some fond memories.

Now I guess I'll have to take the 500+ feet of film that I took at the Bristol Spring Nationals in 1966 in for 'transfer.' That '66 event sure 'deflected' my love for AA Fuelers and FX cars to Junior Stock.

These images are from 1962 @ 75-80 (Monrovia, MD). The D/SP final was orchestrated via a FLAG MAN ... no 'tree!' Later that day I got beat in the final round of (no kidding)! 'Top Eliminator,' by a B/G small-block powered '32 (Chev!) coupe.

Watta Hoot! -- Remember no 'tree,' so the flagman simply 'walked me out' a *few (*completely-arbitrary) car lengths and 'flagged us off' from there ... alas, the B Gasser 'caught' me at the first set of lights!

I bought that Maroon '60 Vette after it was traded in on a (yuck!) 61 T-Bird by a friend ... it was in really ragged condition, but I was 'in luv,' so I traded in a really nice '57 Fury on it -- $700 for the trade in, on the $2,300 Vette.

I was a 'flat-rate' mechanic at the time -- a 23-yr old 'kid!.' I fixed up the Vette and it was my 'daily driver' for a year. Then I sold it for $2,500 and bought a $500 '58 Impala. I used the leftover 'change' for a down payment on a house. Things have sure changed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Guard rails? ... What Guard Rails!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  27. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I was hoping LOL! thats my luck.

Anybody have any footage of Tokyo Rose racing? I have looked everywhere?

:cool:

28. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

In the Fall of 1965, Charlie Hampp got a '66 Mustang with the 289 Hi-Po engine. His Dad said "NO RACING." Right !!! It had 242 miles on it when it went down the track at Delmar for the first time.

I took a turn driving he car in the elimination rounds against an A/S '62 409 Bel Air. Delmar had progressed from a flagman to a "Traffic Light" suspemded above the track on a cable. All handicaps were in feet and I have no idea how they were calculated. I remember hearing
    "12 ft. to the B stocker."

They didn't have the track measured so the starter walked me out to where he thought 12 might have been. The Mustang was totally stock and had no gage package (no tach). I could only guess where the rpm's were as I couldn't even hear the engine over the open headers on the 409. I've still got the time card somewhere. I think it turned a spinning 15.82 at 98 mph.

We would occasionally go to Georgetown,DE that had a flagman. Those were fun days!

29. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Ralph Costa's 66 Dart

[​IMG]

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great image Doug!
    Here's a Ted Spehar related 'follow up' ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]