Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Delmar used to run "Top Car of the Day" which pitted all the eliminator winners against each other. Dave Bishop, in his 1963 Falcon convertible (200 6 cyl, Fordomatic) was up against an A/G Anglia. Dave must have had half the track spot on the Anglia and was so far away that he had to watch the starter in his mirror.

2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's an interesting 'early Olds' image from Google's new LIFE Magazine image archive ...

[​IMG]

3. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Looks like a re-lettered Monster Mash.

This is STORMALONG as I saw it at the 1969 US Nationals. Looks like the found another body shop and maybe got a free paint job.

[​IMG]

4. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Westberg - Westfall's Stormalong at a later date. No longer Jenkins prepped. Sorry, unknown photographer.

[​IMG]

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's a couple of images that I may not have shared with you guys yet .... the original prints are long lost or discarded, but I was able to find the 35mm negative 'strips.' Both shown below are recent (and sorry, pretty 'lame') photo lab prints made from those somewhat 'shaky 'strips.'

First time I saw this beautiful '57 four door HARDTOP! was at the (York, PA) Summernationals in 1970 ... mostly I was impressed with its stunning visual paint scheme.

I took the image (below) @ Englishtown (I think) during a '71 or '72 WCS meet. Anyone else remember the car?

[​IMG]

I never took pictures when I was racing, so I guess this was one of the times when I was with Dr. Jack Robinson's (NOT the Troxell/Mayo Vista Cruiser/Bruiser) LubikOlds Wagon ... shown below @ Cecil County ... same time frame!​

[​IMG]

Jack Robinson was quite a guy ... a 'top drawer' dentist, a generous guy and a very outspoken first-rate driver. Alas, the early 1970's rule revisions really soured him on NHRA! He was one of those many nice folks I lost touch with during the (for me) 'tumultuous' seventys'! ​

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's Jack Robinson ... one more time!

... during a pretty 'typical' (for Jack) pre 'battle' 'tire-warmin' session at Cecil!

[​IMG]

7. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I wonder if this body became the "Buffalo Flash" car ?

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thank you Bill. And (FYI) just in case you didn't notice, it was 'pitted' in a spot right next to Claude Urevig's wagon, as seen in my post # 1143

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love those paint jobs .........

10. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here he is again in '71 at Englishtown! Notice the back-window For $ale sign!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  11. 270283

Was this one of the Gunning Brothers from Philly? And how rare do you suppose a 210 4-door hardtop was? I don't recall ever seeing one. Lotsa Belairs but not 210s.

[​IMG]

12. You guys realize that this wagon was the old Jesel Bros. Yoo Hoo Too Sedan Delivery
    with side windows installed?

Where did it go from there?

13. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

Markyac - The cars look similar, but the sedan delivery has a one piece liftgate and the wagons have a two piece. The Supinski car has the two piece because you can see the hinges at the bottom. It would take alot of work to change over..........

jrstock55

Attached Files:

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, there were BOTH panel AND windowed deliveries. The windowed deliveries were government ordered cars, and not as many were made. ALL deliveries had the one piece lift gate; wagons had the two piece clam-shell style gate. That almost-lookalike-"YOO-HOO-TOO"-wagon looks like they tried to slip it through as what I call a "psuedo-delivery". It has the delivery style side moulding (without the paint devider), but the clam-shell gate of a wagon. Was it a hydro trans car? The only TRUE way to tell a delivery is the "D" in the vin #, everything else can be replicated, although a lot of work. I suppose the Vin # could have even been swapped. It's amazing what some of the 55-57 Chevrolets have had done to them, or gone through. My delivery is a REAL one. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Sorry , but George told me they converted the Jesel car.
    Look at the third name on the tailgate - Wayne Jesel . Doesn't mean alot though, because they both hung around at Duffy's, where Danny Jesel was the machinist. (Now Jesel Valvetrain Innovation)
    I'm not sure why they didn't just put a Powerglide in the Delivery. That's what it had in it in 1971.
    George sold that car and built a 69 Camaro 350/255 L/Stocker

16. 62 sport fury

62 sport fury
    from new jersy

that is dom rinaldi's 64 plymouth wagon 426 max wedge

17. ????? Then one of us needs new glasses!

18. 62 sport fury

62 sport fury
    from new jersy

that is dom rinaldi's 64 plymouth wagon

19. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Here's George Supinski's ride in '69 at E-town.

[​IMG]

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

*"Somewhere in New Jersey"

Circa 1971 ... Tony getting a little 'trim'

... "just take a little bit off the sides Pete! ... I may be going to a little 'teardown party' this evening and those NHRA folks are sure fussy"!

[​IMG]

*Some call it 'Raceway Park,' others call it 'Old Bridge Raceway,' a few still refer to it as 'Madison Township Race track.' Its really located in Old Bridge, but to most of us, it's simply ...ENGLISHTOWN!

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

That is ONE amazing photograph. The car must be sitting still on the tire. He's looking out of an open door at it. :eek:

22. Sorry Ol' Tekkie , This is not going away anytime soon .

I'd say it's alot easier to do some bodywork on a car that's already clean, done and sorted out, than to build another car.

23. I thought of another part to this story today.
    The guy who helped convert this car was the one and only Tom Neja, from Costa Mesa, Ca. He was back east and hanging around Duffy's when that car was done. I think it was on that return trip that he went and got himself killed in a towing accident. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned somewhere in this thread.
    Also, I seem to remember the '56 going to Canada next. There was a picture I saw recently, (maybe here) of a 2 dr wagon with a Maple Leaf on the side. Could it be the same car?

24. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I wonder if that is Pizzi or Howard Barsky? The paint scheme and lettering looks very similar to the one on Barsky's 56 sedan.

25. racemad55

racemad55

Hmmm,hi profile drag cars from the 60's & 70's, you got a contact for this "high-roller" ? Might have something he might be interested in!

26. johnco

johnco

mark; that 56 wagon with the maple leaf was owned by ray wetzelberger from kitchener, ont

27. johnco

johnco

mark; that 56 wagon with the maple leaf was owned by ray wetzelberger from kitchener, ont.

28. well the first two pics are of a Nomad and the third is a two door wagon.

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the first two pics are of Sedan Deliveries, and probably the same one with different lettering. The last pic is supposed to be a two door wagon MADE from a Sedan Delivery (blastphemy!). Making a "pseudo-delivery" from a two door wagon is a challenge, but making a two door wagon FROM a Sedan Delivery would be much more difficult. I would think, back in those days, a two door wagon could have easily been found and there was nothing really that difficult to building a Stocker. The most difficult thing was removing all the sound deadener and undercoating. But, who knows for sure what they actually did. Come on George Supinski, what really happened? Let's hear it from the horses mouth.A search on Zabasearch.com shows he's in Leonardo, N.J. Butch/56sedandelivery.

30. johnco

johnco

no this car did not become buffalo flash. that car was owned by barry raichlin who still has tha car today. johnco