Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

No, 'fraid not' Seghi ... this (albeit a '55) --->

[​IMG]

is a ...

[​IMG]

... NOMAD!

*not to be confused with a ...

Hott (Pizzi) Delivery! --->
    [​IMG]

2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Hey guys ... I've been trying to organize my photos. Alas, I had long-ago given away most of the 'hard copies' I had, but had put ALL of the drag-race related NEGATIVES in an envelope marked 'old drag photos.'

So ... if you can identify this track (and year?) it would be helpful! Its 'gotta-be' Cecil, York, Englishtown, or Cagaya.

Oh, and yes you're right! -- that's one of Dave Boertman's old 'Rod Shop' rides!

Thanks!
    ... Steve

[​IMG]

3. I am a newmember today 12/31/08 . Frank Iaconios name is on the Callahan & Sulc car because Frank Sulc had gotten a factory deal with the challenger convertible that Chrysler supplied to them along with a truckload of parts. Frank didn't want to let the car sit so Frank I. who was a good friend of Frank S. was asked to drive. Also the tried a t-85 three speed setup in the car at Island dragway with Iaconio driving. I had rented " The Patch" for a saturday of testing my wagon {"IT'S DYNAMITE"} ,"THE VILLAN" and Callahan & Sulc's Challenger conv. For those that remember this was the first convertible that they had. Tom Callahan put it on it's roof during a nite run at Sanair and the next day jumped back into the Villain to compete.It was either the Grandnationals or the Sanair points meet. Chrysler tried to find them another convert but none were available so they shipped Frank S. a body in white Challenger and everypart needed to make a convertible. Being the craftsman that he was Sulc cut the roof off and built his own convert and they went back to racing.

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great story and a big welcome to our ....

[​IMG]

Staging lanes!

5. John Mackey

John Mackey

Dom, great to see you here, got to talk to Tom Larson not to long ago and last week I was back in Jersey for the holidays and saw Carl Bennett.
    I remember a trip we all made to the Spring Nationals in Dallas in '71 and you almost ened up in the hospital with sun burn and on the way home I put my truck, trailer and Chevelle wagon in a ditch. What great times.

John

6. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

And here's yet another one from the 1975 season. That guy sure has owned a lot of cars!

[​IMG]

7. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Dom,

Got any idea how owned this car? The photo was taken at Delmar in 1973.

[​IMG]

8. John Mackey

John Mackey

Mark is correct that is the same car. Dan Jesel at that time had left Duffy's and had a shop in Wall NJ not far from my gas station. It was there Tom N. converted the delivery into a wagon. It was a real work of art the way he cut those panels out and installed the glass. I remember Goerge S. running the car and Vinnie Mayer also drove it.

9. John Mackey

John Mackey

Mark, funny you mention this, Norm Mayersohn told me that he and Tommy Kling stripped the Chevelle the minute it came off the truck from Briggs. Norm said all the street stuff came off the car and was stored and he took out the speedo cable himself. 61 miles?? Norm has no Idea where they came from unless they were put on after the car was restored. Maybe Ray knows but for that much money I doubt if that we will ever known as well as the truth about the title.

10. John Mackey

John Mackey

11. VIC GUILMINO

VIC GUILMINO

Saw a 1957 chev sedar delivery for sale today in pa on rt. 104

12. Good to hear from you, John. Maybe everybody will believe me now.
    Where IS Stormin ' Norman now?

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

So, it was converted to a wagon from a delivery. That would also mean that it had to run a Powerglide in O/SA, and a cast iron one at that (don't think the superceded rule allowing the aluminum glides was in effect yet). Still, a terrible thing to do to a delivery (just my opinion). Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

John, my memory is shaky now too, but I'm sure Glen Burnie, Md racer Bill Neidercadaus(sp?) built a '55 JUST like that in '69 or 70 ... the well done, but non-trick, heavy-piston (TRW) engine 'disapointed' and he didn't have it very long ... never lettered it. Bill later had the former 'Doc Doughtery(?) injected '57 wagon, which we took to the 1971 'Little Guy Nationals' in Suffolk, Va.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  15. John Mackey

John Mackey

Mark, Norm is now an auto editor for the NY TIMES.

16. John Mackey

John Mackey

Ya but back then a car was just a car, it had no historic value. We did what we had to do to be competitive.

17. John Mackey

John Mackey

Dom, what happened to the 2 dr car "DOUBLE DYNAMITE"? I remember see Joe Garbarine converting it to a super stocker but that is the last I knew of it.

18. Dmystix

Dmystix

Steve
    Was Doc Dougherty's injected wagon, Orange Crate, TK's TT??

Anyway, back to Dougherty, was it orig TK's car? And BTW, what ever happened to Frusco(spl)??
    Don

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  19. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks for the reply Tom, yes, I 'think' the (Truppi Kling) "Terrible Tangerine" went to Doughtery and was renamed the "Orange Crate." All I'm sure of is that when Bill got it he painted it GMC's 'Blue-Toned White' right away! As to ... "what ever happened to Frusco" ... not sure!

Happy New Year!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

... Steve

20. Thanks for the question. The 2 door "DOUBLE DYNAMITE" wasa sold by Joe Garbarine to Mallory Kenny a regular at Englishtown. When Mallory went out with it for the first trime, he evidently added idle adjusting screws to the carbs for ease of idle adjustment. You can't do that on a max wedge motor. As the throttle shaft rotates when you gey past 1/3 throttle the adjusting end of the screw jams on the flat surface of the intake. As Mallory did his dry hop the throttle stuck and he destroyed the englishtown wind machine. I have a picture which I will scan that shows the car sitting on top of the machine when all came to a halt.
    I got a phone call from a gentleman in I think S.Carolina about 2 years ago. He has the 2 door and found my name and address on the registration. It showed woodbridge N.J. but he managed to track me down. I Sent pictures for him to copy, They showed the car as "DOUBLE DYNAMITE" and as " OLD FASHION SELTZER".
    Sorry if there are typos, but I am in my office on New Years day and it is -2 degrees with a -22 degree wind chill. I am actually typing with gloves on as the heat in my office is having trouble keeping up.
    Regards Dominick

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  21. For anyone interested the person driving my wagon was Billy Morgan . That is his helmet you can see as he looks back to see what happened, The axle had snapped and as he felt it happen he hit the brake and the car stopped on top of the tire . He was doing a burn out to try to qualify the car for me at the Grandnationals at Sanair. {Syteve Seaman and I had split after the Texas Amarillo meet and I had my hands full tryingtoget the hang of driving}. My right hand man, a tech from Town and Country Dodge,Richie Gardiner, wasn't with me at this meet. Jerry Stein stayed up all night with me after I located a rear end assy. He helped me change everything over so that we could be ready the next day. The one neat thing not on the picture because it is cropped is the look on Buster Couch's face as this happened.
    Regards Dominick

22. John,
    Great to hear from you. I am still healing from that sunburn.
    When you think back to those days I don't thinbk any of us thought this far ahead. We were just concerned about the next meet be it local at Raceway Park or out to the Grove.
    When you get a chance pick up the Feb "09 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machine see pg 62.
    Regards Dominick

23. TMCREA,
    The guys name was Steve about 22 years old. There was a group of black racers near where we were pitted at Cecil in I think '68. This tall skinny racer came over and started asking alot of questions. Said something about a wagon he was thiking of building. I just knew by the time he spent under my hood and under the car that he would end up cloneing one. When I later saw the car it didn't supprise me that it was blue.
    Dominick

24. John Mackey

John Mackey

"Terrible Tangerine" was bought by Tom Simone another one of TK customers. Interesting note Tom bought the car and flat towed it home, unhooked it from the tow car and proceeded to drive into his garage, he got in it started it up and the car wouldn't move, Tom tried eveything with no luck, He then called Ralph up bitching about what kind of car he sold him that wouldn't move. At this Ralph asked him if he had removed the tow hubs. Problem solved.

25. How about adding ;
    Rinaldi & Seaman 1964 Plymouth wagon
    Marotta & Owens 1964 Plymouth
    Joe Kenny 1962 Dodge wagon
    Ed Franks 1957 Chevy
    Clayton Wright 1963 Plymouyh & 1968 SS/AA
    Frank Katick 1969 Corvette
    Ron Rizzo 1969 Plymouth
    Tom Larson YR? Chevrolet
    Frank Catone 1968 Mustang

Also on your list Tritak & Morgan is a 1963 Plymouth wagon and Callahn & Sulc is a 1962 PLYMOUTH
    Dominick Rinaldi

26. That is a picture of my car taken at Indy that I have never seen. Nice shot. I see that it says Tom Myl photo. Anyone know if this is the same Tom Myl from Myl Chrysler Plymouth I think in Corappolis PA? I remember,if it is the same person,that his dad passed away when we were at a National event and he had to leave but returned 2 days later to run the eliminator.
    Dominick Rinaldi

27. biscaynes

biscaynes

background doesn't appear to be cayuga...

28. Hey if you were running a 283 in jr. stock in the late '60s were any over-bores allowed at all? ....or would it 'have' to be a true exact 283 inch motor? Thanks,
    -Dean

29. markus A

markus A

New guy here. Here are some pics from "Raceway News" 1971, it was the free rag they handed out with last weeks results. I was the crew for Mike Mazepa...we ran this nice 66 Nova SS 283 220hp in M/S. It launched nicely with the old Lakewoods. Also a car I believe not yet posted here is Lou Couviello's 59 I/SA Vette... LAW Automotive (Lou-Ann-Walter) Also from Raceway News is the top 10 bucks winners for 1971..my buddy Mike is in back row..you all may recognize some of the cast members.
    This thread sure brings back those old memories.

Attached Files:

30. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

Thanks for the details! I remember seeing the 1st car (purple convert.) in Sulc's driveway after the accident, and it was a mess. Soon after, the orange car appeared. Was that car ever competitive? Any idea what happened to those guys?

jrstock55