Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

I heard that Joe had passed away. Is that true?

Never mind. I should have read a little further before asking. Sorry to hear it is true.

2. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

I've been trying to track those two down for a couple of years now. Last I heard about Sulc was that he had worked for Frankie ( I ) for awhile. Never got around to calling him find out. Maybe in 2009! ;)

3. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

Hey, nice shot. May I send it to Carl & Marjon?

4. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the update, Dom. What's Steve doing these days, if you know?

5. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

Yeah, and it was that reunion that got Carl's racing juices flowing again, I believe. When I first reconnected with Carl & Marjon, he hadn't thought about racing in years. See what a little 'get together" can do? Love it!

6. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

John, you've gotta make it out there. Thankfully, Paul (Mayo) made it that year. And Paul Blevins also. They're both gone now. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, and Darwin's reunions are a great time and place to get together to talk about the best days in drag racing.

7. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

Here's the press release I got recently from Darwin.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    Darwin Doll
    Musclecar Madness at the York Reunion
    Ph: 717-757-2720
    darwin@yorknostalgia.com
    York Nostalgia - York Reunion & Nostalgia Nationals

8TH ANNUAL MUSCLECAR MADNESS ANNOUNCED

York, PA - January 1, 2009

York Traditions Bank and GGS Technical Publication Services will present the 8th Annual Musclecar Madness at the York Reunion show at the York Expo Center, York Fairgrounds on July 10-11, 2009. The show has become a tradition with the annual Reunion for York US 30 Dragway that closed thirty years ago this year.

The show is not only an annual reunion for the York track but has also become an annual reunion for some of the most prestigous names in drag racing, all who have competed at this famous track at one time or another. The show is the only show of its kind and will feature over 700 cars at both the inside show and the Cruisin' Into Summer cruise in on the West Plaza.

The continuance of the show has been made possible by
    Golden Heritage Sponor GMMG, Inc. of Marietta, Georgia
    and the "Detroit Rat Pack". GMMG produces some of the
    finest vehicles in the world with details at GMMG INC.

The Detroit Rat Pack is composed of drag racing legends,
    Wally Booth, Dick Arons, and Gordy Foust all who will be
    in attendance at the show.

The 2009 show features a "Salute to Ford" with many Ford
    Legends to be in attendance for the celebration. At this date
    Hubert Platt, Tommy Grove, Al Joniec, 422 Motorsports and
    many others along with legendary race cars from the past
    will round out two days of exciting activity that is a once in
    a lifetime opportunity.

The show is an annual benefit to the York County SPCA
    with proceeds being derived from a memorabilia auction,
    50-50 drawings, and contributions made to the People's
    Choice canisters placed at each entered vehicle. Over
    $5500 was contributed at the '08 show.

Annual Legion of Honor awards will be presented on Friday
    evening to twelve deserving recipients by the National Nostalgia Drag Racing Association. Each recipient receives
    an individual award for their accomplishments and their names
    are placed upon a perpetual award that will be on display at
    the Eastern Museum of Motorsports Museum in York Springs, PA. An award presented by your peers is held in
    the highest esteem.

The show begins on Friday, July 10th at 1 p.m. until 8 p.m.
    and Saturday, July 11th from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Special discount ticket coupons will be available at all York
    Traditions Bank locations one month prior to the show.

The great nostalgia weekend culminates with the running
    of the Sixth Annual York Nostalgia Nationals at Beaver
    Springs Dragway on Sunday, July 12th beginning at 8 a.m.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. So York is a sulute to Ford this year, I might just have to go this time!
    -Dean

Attached Files:

9. John Mackey

John Mackey

Jackee check out my post #1268 in this thread.
    You should check out their luncheon.

10. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

... knew about Paul Mayo and now I'm sorry to hear of Paul Blevins passing also ...

[​IMG]

Englishtown -- 1971 (*took both the same day)

[​IMG]

11. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

Hi Jackee,

You don't have to bother sending this particular photo to Carl and Marjon; I bought this photo off of Ebay, scanned it for my own collection, and gave them the original.

Also, I can look out my front window, and see Carl and Marjon's house from mine!

12. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

Yeah, it took a while to goad Carl into getting in the car and going to York (and Ronnie for that matter!), but it is now a yearly "thing" we do!

Hope to see YOU there this year!

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Paul Mayo -- Indy 1971

14. club442

club442
    from ohio

any pics of any 65 olds 442 stockers or vintage pics.Thanks

15. This is EXACTLY what junior stock was all about. Finding that elusive combination to take advantage of the rulebook. How many of these blown 4 door hardtops could have been built by Ford. Unfortuantely, the rules kept changing, but it was a great time when backyard engineering could win on the track.

16. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

I'll go ahead and add a Chevrolet myself then (credit for the scan of this photo from the Raceway News goes to Pete over on the Yahoo Stock/SS Drag Racing Forum):

Jon Swoope, "A HEAD" P/Stock 1957 Chevrolet Wagon

This car was painted half orange (driver side) and half yellow (passenger side) both INSIDE and outside! When I locate a color photo of this car, I will post it as well!

Attached Files:

17. janet

janet
    from USA

"<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Looks like things have come to a stand still in the Junior/Stock history archieves. Maybe this old Ford will kick some life back into the thread. 3570 lbs of blown Ford that is and a 4 door hardtop to boot. The Parham-Payne & McDaniel E/SA was a National Recorder @13.50 / 105mph. "

The thread has lost its direction..........

Hi Jackee...long time no see
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

18. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Colesy, Do you know who campaigned that '57 Delivery out of Trenton Speed Shop?:)

19. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great collage Bill!

Always the consummate Pro, Buster sure looks nonchalant ... resplendent in spiffy NHRA threads, complete with understated Brycreme and Cuban-heeled footwear!

... I wonder if HE is still 'with us.'

[​IMG]

20. Andamo

Andamo

A fellow posted this question on another board and I asked if I could post it here also. He's good with it. I'll just contact him and give him the link so he can follow this thread. Thanks guys.
    Dan

Looking for information on an old racer 1960-1970
    <HR style="COLOR: #404341" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hey everyone. My name is Kris. My Grandfather name is Charles McMillen. He used to race NHRA Stock Eliminator between 1960-1970. I dont know much about his racing history, but what i do know makes me want to know more. I do know that he raced in the northeast and held a time record for his gas class. I dont know which class he was in. He drove a 50's sedan delivery painted with an american flag across the length of the car. I also know that in the class he was racing in, the only engine mods allowed were a slighty larger cam than stock, the engine had to be naturally aspirated, and a maximum bore of .60 was allowed. Also, he was partners with Gary Richards, of P.C. Richards and Sons Elctronics. I dont know the name of the car, but i do have alot of details on the engine he was running, as a matter of fact, i have the engine he was running, complete. When Gary Richards desided he was done with racing at the time, he took the car, and my grandfather ended up with the engine. My goal is to gather as much information i can on my grandfathers racing career and pictures of him and or the car if theyre out there. I know its a long shot, but if anyone knows anything or if the little information that ive provided strikes a cord with ANYONE, i would appreciate the help. Any help you can offer might help me to bring a twinkle back to an old racers eye. Thanks in advance.

21. Dmystix

Dmystix

Dan
    Try posting your ? on Classracer.com, unless that's the other one you posted on. A lot of guys over there from NY, NJ, Pa, Ct, etc. that have roots that go back to that time frame.
    Don

22. Andamo

Andamo

I'm waiting on a e-mail addy from him now and will get hooked up with the HAMB for sure. Thanks.

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

... Just added the Stokes & Ferrara '57 to our little list ( 1265 ), that makes FIFTY 1957 Chevrolets, a good portion of them Deliverys!

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buster Couch lifts up Don Garlits after Don ran Florida's first 200 mph pass.
    Photo by Jim Hill

... life's wayy too short to not go 'off topic' once and awhile!

25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

In 1970, Charlie Hampp Sr. and I took the '55 to Suffolk for a WCS meet. We set the MPH record and there were a bunch more set that day. We didn't get into tear-down until late in the evening on Saturday. Around 11:00 PM, Buster came walking in with a 5th of bourbon in his hand and a little "under the weather". He came over to us, held the bottle out in my direction and offered a drink. I declined and he walked away and said something like "Anybody that won't drink with me sucks dicks."

When he realized that Randy Smith and his girlfriend were standing behind him, he was very embarrased and quick to apologize.

I also remember him turning the starting duties over to "Rabbit" at one of the Keystone Nationals. He said he had to visit the men's room. That was around 11:30 AM and he didn't return until around 1:00PM He told Rabbit "I had to go real bad!"

26. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Steve,

I haven't gotten a reply from Charlie Jr. so I'll share what I remember. The car held speed and ET records in 1968, '69 and '70. It was a regular winner at Delmar and would always go several rounds at WCS meets. It won class at several National events and the best showing in Stock Eliminator was in 1968 at Englishtown (with Joe Cox driving) when it lost in the semi final round to John Dianna's '56 Sedan Delivery. John later lost to Ron Garey's Olds.

The car was later run in SS/T by Charlie Sr. and Charlie Jr. ran a 1970 SS 396/375 Camaro in C/S and later SS/E. The '55 was sold around 1974 and I think it may be still around Salisbury, MD.

27. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

colesy- i dont know what happened to casler racing tires but i noticed the address and area the same as the old casler header adress which i think were a spin off of hooker headers, think theres a connection? btw i just bought a set of casler 8.00 x 14 cheaters in perfect shape for my 56 delivery! anybody know the best way to preserve these tires?

28. lawman

lawman

So sad !!! We now have " Hot tuner nights" to watch on " Speed"

29. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Seeing the handle "lawman" reminded me of a former police car that ran at Delmar, DE back in the '70's aptly named "WUZ FUZZ".

Attached Files:

30. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thank for the info about the Trenton Speed car. Also....WOW, that has to be the same Wayne Walker who started Zip Products out of Va, specializing in quality repro parts for Corvettes, etc.!;)

Verne:)