Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks Doug:) I just happen to have that issue. Ronnie's birthday just passed, so he's about to have my issue and a good glossy photo of them by the car.;)

Verne

2. quick573

quick573

Hi ya Reggie,
    I'm in jersey.After I sold the shell station I did spend time in Virginia but never moved there. I should be retired by now but due to a extreme loss of funds about 15 years ago[divorce] I'm still working. Why are divorces so expensive? They are worth it.:) Haven't seen Callahan since 1983. I am active racing with son Mike, super pro bracket car having a good time. Of course its a Dodge. If your heading down sometime, let me know. We could get together. BTW Steve Seaman called the shop I'm at last week. Something about a nostalgia funny car. He left a message and said he would call back. Frank Sulc

3. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Good stuff Verne. Great to put a smile on someone's face!

4. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

If I am not mistaken, this is the 67 Pontiac that goes with the E/S on the list:

Attached Files:

5. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

:D
    This picture is an obvious fake. I raced with all the guys named and none of them look like those people in the pic.:D
    Just ask Mark Yac!
    Greetings to all. Nice to relive good times.
    John Mason

6. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

Welcome to the thread Frank! I grew up a few blocks away from you in Pompton Lakes and walked by your car(s) on the way to school every day. Made a big impression on me. Glad to hear you are well........

jrstock55

7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I dont have a scaner and dont know if you guys got this issue this month yet. Its full of the latest junior stock secrets.:D

Attached Files:

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Nice to see that you guys have kept the thread going. Got side tracked working on some Indy pics from the mid to late 70s. Steve I'm still playing with your picture. Here's a cleaned up version of George Cureton and the "Tokyo Rose".
    [​IMG]

9. 57maddman

57maddman

Anybody know what happened to a 57 Nomad called "Sir Nomad" ??? It was a M/P car and was owned/raced by Harold Dunn of Dunn & Grasso. It was green with "Sir Nomad" on the fenders in white. He beat Moroso to win Indy in 71..

10. quick573

quick573

I saw your post earlier in this thread a while ago and have been meaning to contact you. I'm still here and still at it. Where did you live? Pompton is still a pretty nice place. Be nice if up town would come back to life. Frank

11. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

I've been back a few times in the last couple years. Too bad they had to tear down the Milk Barn! We spent a few summer evenings in long lines there to get ice cream.. I'll put some Pompton Lakes memories in a message to you.......

jrstock55

12. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

John,

You know what is funny...that is almost EXACTLY what Carl and Ronnie said to me on the way home from York that year! Except they did think Jerry Stinner still looked the same!

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Don't recall that car "57maddman," but I do remember Larry Kopp's (Killer) '57 Chev Junior Stocker called ... Mad Man

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

At YORK THIS YEAR, methinks the JUNIOR STOCK guys should have their very-own 'Celebrity table'! :)

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Looks like Joe Allread ... sans engine!

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Bob, Still planning to 'work your magic' on ...

[​IMG]

... Claude's car?

PS: and yes, that is the roof of the McMaster & Gunning '57, barely showing in the next pit space ... see post #1336

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I just noticed the pic of George Cureton "changing" the rear tire on the Tokyo Rose Sedan Delivery has the wrong rear bumper on it. It's a sedan/hard top bumper, not a wagon/sedan delivery bumper. Maybe there was a differece in weight they were taking advantage of. Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Shortly after I bought the Wheatley Bros. '55 Sedan Delivery I was nearly severely injured when I relied on the tailgate supports to hold it up. Evidently there was some body work done on the tailgate before bondo was used. Seems there was about 50 lbs of lead applied to it somewhere!

benchseat4speed likes this.
  19. 270283

The Hostage wagon was sold and back on the street in the seventies. Last I heard it went to Kentucky when its new owner moved back down there. I ended up with some extra NOS trim from it for a 55 Belair wagon I had at that time.

20. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

Steve,

I agree with that one; first, that would facilitate folks being able to reunite/meet with people and see who showed up. It would also cut down on the "oh, you just missed him" or the "oh, he was here yesterday" things that seem to occur at events like this!

21. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Good point Chris!
    The first and only time I attended ('07) I ran into a few of 'The Boyz' quite by accident. One guy would point out another fellow that you would never have recognized otherwise -- 'strange what 35 years will do.' Amiable George Cureton hadn't changed very much, but as for some of the other guys (including me!), even Bob Rice's Photoshop skills wouldn't have helped us!;)

22. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

colesy,

Thanks for posting the photos and race results, they are great.

Steve - did you notice that Charlie Hampp's Witchcraft was class winner at the 1969 Winternationals and 1968 Summernationals?

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yea Tom, I sure did. Those (built right) 180 & 195 HP 265s were simply amazing! Looks like Allread was actually on the brakes (@ 14.23/78 MPH) in Glover's N car, while Charlie's 180 HP O car went through the traps @ 96.77!

... and yes, great posts Colesy!

24. What magazine is this? I'd like to pick up a copy, thanks!
    -Dean

25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I just got home from having lunch with Charlie Sr. and told him about the articles. He wants me to email them to him. The old boy is still going strong, he will be 90 in May.

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

It must be due to that ...

[​IMG]

... 'Shore good' livin!

27. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Tom,
    Are you sure the Super Stock was introduced in '67? I seem to recall some earlier cars.

[​IMG]

Maybe the wording just threw me off.
    Verne:)

28. Sounds like a page out of the Hubert Platt book.

29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bill, Actually we really luv it when you get up on your ...

[​IMG]

... Soap box! ;):rolleyes:

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland