Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running a V6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billa212, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

Anyone out there running a V6? Let's see some pics

2. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I have a 4.3 chevy in my truck no clearence problems lots of power and it sounds neat!!

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Just a head's up this thread will probably get locked soon. Nothing against V-6's, big fan of the 4.3 myself but they aren't traditional.

4. mgrinshpon

mgrinshpon
    from New Jersey

V6s have really bad balance issues. There was a reason why straight 6s were more popular than V6s before CAD.

5. Swifster

Swifster

GMC used V6's throughout the '60's. Buick introduced the Fireball V6 in the 1962 Buick Special. The engine was used until 1967. Again, if 'traditional' means losing your imagination, there are issues. These parts were available in salvage yards in the early and mid-60's.

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

Still a work in progress, but has a 4.3L Chevy V6 with T5.

Bob

Attached Files:

• T-2.JPG
      T-2.JPG
      File size:
      92 KB
      Views:
  7. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

The fella I bought my Merc flatty off of had 2 A pickups that ran that same combo... He had at least $50k worth of flatheads and speed parts out in his barn, but he said he was gettin' to old to mess with them, he went with the 4.3+T5 and absolutely loved it for a cruiser, near maintance free he said, and it was plenty of power for him (lets be honest, a 4.3 puts down more HP than alot of flatheads).

8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Not to mention they're practically bulletproof.

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I could care less myself, like I said I'm a big 4.3 fan but lately V-6 threads don't seem to live long because as others have stated they are not considered "traditional". But as long as we're on the subject exactly how many rods and customs built before 1964 actually used V-6's? As for my imagination.... "lack" of it has NEVER been an issue.;)

10. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

That's cool that people are using them. I've got a 4.3 in my truck and it is such a hoss I was thinking of using one in my '50 Chrysler

11. btbsandman

btbsandman

I have the oddfire V6 in my 62 Buick Special. It runs great, but its a pain to find parts cheap. It does sound neat, but it will never replace a throaty V8.

12. bobscogin

bobscogin

An even fire V6 sounds just like an inline 6. Unique in it's own right, but you're right about it not sounding like a V8.

Bob

13. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

As long as my old straight six keeps runnin, I'm sticking with it. But when it gives up to go, I'm looking at dropping a 4.3 into the poncho. Been reading a lot of articles and with all the aftermarket parts available now, these things are making some serious horsepower - more than the poncho will handle.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I don't know how it will sound, yet... 3800 SC from a 2000 Grand Prix.. but it will not doubt scoot. Gary

Attached Files:

15. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

OK, I guess I'll try to redeem myself........ :eek:

Never posted it here because of the "traditional" police but I currently have three 4.3 cores and a set of TRW forged blower pistons, an Edelbrock Performer intake, 390 cfm Holley and a Comp Cams 260 hyd. roller cam for them. When the Stude is a bit further along I'll be looking for an old Lark, early Chevy II or something else light to put one of them in backed by a 200-4R and a Dana 44 with 3.54 gears. I'm going to use older 229 heads though so I can use these cool black wrinkle finned aluminum valve covers I snagged off Ebay. Am I forgiven now? ;)

16. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

When I was younger, my Mom had a Bonneville SSEi with that blower motor... That sucker'd scoot, and that wasn't a small car (or a light one, it was a demo car so it was stacked out). IIRC it was about 250HP or so, that'd motivate a little hot rod nice. I know none of this is traditional, but oh well (although those 4.3's looked right at home in those A pickups that fella had, they looked like they belonged in there, excellent fitament). Good conversation!

17. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

I know it isn't "traditional", but I think that the essence is there...we use what we can get a hold of, sounds good and is better than stock. My old inline was so damn tired, and I'm planning on driving my car daily so reliability, parts availability and dare I say it...gas mileage all come into play.
    I think a 4.3 might just be the way to go, it'll sure fit better than a 460 and it won't be a 350/350 hot rod.
    Thanks guys, lets keep it coming

18. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I love it when someone asked me "why did you use xxxxx?" because I get to respond " 'cause that's what I had!," it's a good feeling! I bet with a little paint, elbow grease, some sanding and polishing, and some creativity you could make your 4.3 look pretty old-timey. Might take more imagination than a 350 or flatty, but isn't that the fun part? It's just a SBC with a couple cylinders hacked off it, some parts of the SBC will transfer, but I'll leave that to a Chebby guy to discuss, but good luck to ya!

19. 63dan63

63dan63

In my daily driver Chevy II. I'm shocked I got to post on this thread. It'll get killed soon.

20. bobscogin

bobscogin

Well, it's 3/4 of a small block, so maybe, it's 3/4 traditional? :D

Bob

21. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Hehe, like that, thats a good one... Have it pin-striped on the trunk lid - "3/4's Old School". Actually I bet you could come up with all sorts of interesting personalized license plates along those lines.

22. belair

belair

My dad has a 230 something Chevy v-6 in his 36 Chevy pick up. works great.

23. What did a 4.3 come in? I had an '86 Buick Park Avenue and was one of the best cars/engines I ever had. It was a 3.8. After all Buick GNX's were bad ass V-6's and, is just me but, I'd rather see a V-6 stuck in something than a SBC. At least would be a little different than every other ride.

24. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Pretty much every Blazer and S10 that was made in the mid 80s 'til they came out with that new straight 6 in the Trailblazers (I'm sure they had smaller engines available for both).

25. ast12.jpg

this was a 225 odd fire that was punched 30 over making it basicly a 231...was in my 76 pontiac astre that i just sold,,had hooker chrome headers with short turbo flows from az...every one thought it was a sbc until ya got it wound past 4000 rpm's...astre was lite car..had no problem staying with stock mustangs :cool:....

i also run the sand circuit for 11 years, every weekend...had a total weight of 1790 with me in it..was a glass bodied cj2a funny car body with a 225 odd fire bored 40 over to a 233...this motor i staged it and brought it up to 5400 rpm....dropped the hammer and the recall tach generally showed between 10,000-11,000 rpm's on the launch..was in front of a fairbanks clutch turbo trans with 513 gears front and rear.....:eek: naturally aspriated v-6:cool:..titanium 1" grildle cut into the block and main caps, armour stell crank, BME rods hangin onto venolia pistons...custom grind mushroom tappett bumpstick from luanati.class winning hill climbing car at Gravelrama 4 years straight!!!!!in the final 4 at every race! will have to dig a pic of it out one of these nites......:rolleyes:

26. dirt t

dirt t
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I have a 4.3 on the floor waiting to goin my roadster. am pulling a 153" chev II motor.
    Powerglide 4barrel. lakes pipes

27. Ice man

Ice man

I ran a 3.8 Ford/AOD in my 29 Roadster. It was free, it ran well, and never gave me a problem. Never had the heads off, and she would run with the rest of them, untill they got crazy. Thats what Hot Rods are all about, buildin your own car, with your own parts, and not every one will like it but they can go build there own car. Most of them never built there own any way, or they wouldn't be so picky about your build. Ice man

Attached Files:

28. James427

James427
    BANNED

<<<<<< This has a buick V-6. Ever drive in a Grand National?

29. old1946truck

old1946truck

All the parts in a 4.3 v6 are the same as a 5.7 liter small block 350. the pistons, connecting rods, main and rod bearings, valves, valve springs, and the accessory drive brakets will swap over.

30. Weasel

Weasel

How about this for a V6? It's very much a hot rod engine to me...

[​IMG]