Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running a V6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billa212, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Don't forget the Buick Grand National. I have a chick friend who dynos 520 hp on hers and I've got an 88' Olds Cutlas police pursuit with a 3.8L that I've outrun 5.0 Mustangs, Camaros and big Beamers with and man does it love to eat "tunners"!

2. gotra66

gotra66

We know, but since your car is so sweet we give ya a pass!

3. 1991Syclone

1991Syclone

Connecting rods from a 350 will not work in a 4.3.

4. 1991Syclone

1991Syclone

The market is soft for them right now. You can get them for a decent price, they're really not hard to find.

5. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am surprised this thread has not been closed yet like others have been.

I have a 4.3 in the shop waiting to go into something. The V6 motors are nice for small cars like Anglias, Morris Minors and stuff like that.

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

Maybe it's because the V6 has attained a degree of popularity sufficient to make it a "future traditional" engine?

Bob

7. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

Man, I hope so. I've got a 3.0 Ford in my Ranger and a 4.3 in my Chubby, both really good engines. The 4.3 will walk to dog on the 3.slow, but they're both really good. My dad had a work truck with 257K on a 4.3 and the thing still ran great

8. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

This has been a pretty friendly discussion as opposed to a pissin' contest, that might have a little to do with it. 6's or not, I've seen a few really "traditional" looking engines in this thread in plenty of traditional styled cars. I'm not even using a 6, but I've had plenty so it was an interesting thread to follow none-the-less. (My friends dad that's helping me fix the smashed body panels on my Galaxie keeps givin' me shit, keeps saying I need to get my 402 outta there and put in a slant 6 so I don't go smashing things up again)

9. flynstone

flynstone

my first car was a 61 buick specal.......(that wy im so darn fond of them buicks) it had fact v6 alum block (BAD ASS) loved that car dad made me sell it when i bought my 61 ford van ...from the telephone co.... sucked i wanted both...oh well now i have around 23 cars.........fluxuates .........4 are buicks.. anyhow loved that car i have a 4.3 200r waiting for something..................

10. Mordachai

Mordachai

I got a 4.3 with Edelbrock intake, headers and a bunch more, backed with a manual vb bump 700r4. I guess between the headers and 3" exhaust, everyone thinks it's a v8, alot of people ask me what kind of cam is in there, what type of small block, etc. and haha, it's a 6... and one day it will live under the '56. That is provided I don't throw a 265 under it.

but more important to this thread, and maybe this forum(yeah I'm a fng) is the traditional aspect.
    As mentioned before the rodders of yesteryear used newer 'modern' tech to improve on their 'older' cars. They used any old or new parts to modify the looks and ride quality of the car to their taste. And also as said before, if the rodders of old were hung up on 'tradition' they would have never tried the flathead, or modified chassis/drivetrains, etc.
    They used what they had on hand, or could easily get a hold of.
    I don't see how that differs much today, provided that the modifications are well thought out and implemented well. I understand that this is a place to gather and discuss the incredible rods of yesteryear, and there is great importance of the history of automobilia. At the same time, I think that the same creativity and resourcefulness that was done to the rods and kustoms from the old days should be applauded when used today within reason.

11. Turbo442

Turbo442

Too cool. The first time I saw one of those I thought it was a 409 at first glance then I noticed the headers looked odd and that it was a bit shorter. Talk about a wide short motor though.

12. joel torres

joel torres

im no where near traditional but i love cars i have a v6 in my 47
    [​IMG]

13. 47 Chevy Coupe, with a 3.1 91 Camaro & 700r, not running trying to put a carb on, removing the fuel injection.

Attached Files:

14. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Well, 3 days and still going, made a liar out of me! :eek:

15. Mordachai

Mordachai

just making new traditions, is one way to think about it. What we do today will be looked back upon by our children and our childrens' children...

16. 50'custom

50'custom

can anyone tell me a little about those "big GMC v-6 motors" ? i know where i can get one super cheap that runs.....i wanna put it in an O/T pickup....is there any aftermarket support for them or pretty much a 1 off deal on parts ?

17. rpol7966

rpol7966

Which of the 4.3 engines are the most desireable? I know just enough about them to know there are different designs. Can some provide a brief rundown of the 4.3's evolution? Pros and cons of different versions?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  18. got a 4.3/auto going in my 38' ford truck and hope to enjoy some decent milage.

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

They are very heavy and parts are getting hard to find.Not any or very limited speed equipment.

20. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

I've got a 3.8 SC in my Volvo wagon. This is a pretty traditional swap for a hot rod Volvo!!!

Attached Files:

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So.. how does it run? Please PM me on the details. Inquiring minds need to know! You can catch up on my project truck here.. Gary

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2874

22. Attached Files:

23. Weldworks

Weldworks
    from Troy, MO

I know this isn't a traditional motor, but it is a classic. As long as I don't open the hood, nobody will know. 1950 Buick with a 3.8 turbo V6 and a 200-4R trans out of a 1987 Grand National. Just a project I'm currently working on.

Attached Files:

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Now that should fly! Good luck! Gary

25. Dads1954

Dads1954
    from New York

i hope to drop in a 3.8 super charged from a Late Bonneville. I am searching for one now. That is one rad ride. I may hit you for tips later.

Regards,
    Noel

26. bobjob55

bobjob55

how good are they gas millage ??was gonna put a 350tbi. onto my '48 dodge 4 door chop top,, and wondered if a v-6 would be a better idea..i'm in the middle of the frikkin desert,, 20+miles to nearest w/mart and need good gas millage...

27. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

Why? Would you want to

28. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Im running a Buick 231 v6 in my Chevy. Traditional, non-traditional, if you like it....drive it!

29. After the 32 in my avatar is done (and it' getting close), I'm going to start building a 40 Ford p-up w/94 4.3-5speed that I've been collecting parts for. Dropped axle up front, split bones, DB, panhard bar, but w/PS/PB/Air/heat/def, 9" w/3:23s - it'll be in some kind of colored primer and it will be my everyday driver, something the wife can jump in, hit the key, and go with no worries (or phone calls to me to come get her!).

30. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Well I get 27MPG out of mine on the freeway with the 3.8 SC, T5 and Jag IRS 3.30 rear gear. Of course a lot depends on how fast your trying to get to wallyworld.