Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Butch;
    I hope to be there.
    Ken

2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Thanks Pete, I don't remember that photo, it must have been taken in 1970 after Charlie's discharge from the Air Force. In the mid 1970's he had a Hippie doo with shoulder length hair.

BTW, what was the caption on the photo?

3. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Mark we have not seen Mr Crader for years. When I bought the 1957 Chevy HT in March of 1967 from John Barkley, it was A-1 equiped. It isthe same car that appears in the latest Hot Rod with the Junior Stock article. Val came a long a couple of years later and Tony Rossi made him a great deal. The riverlay between A-1 and Tony Rossi was sometimes referred to as "The Powerglide Wars".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here are some scans of the 1965 Winternationals entries

Attached Files:

5. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Tony,
    All these old photos and scans of entry lists, winners, etc are priceless and appreciated, but sometimes it's just impossible to read them if they're thumbnails. Just a suggestion to you and others. Try setting up a free Photobucket account on the web. Then you can upload photos from your computer to that account. Once it's there, highlight the "direct link" under the picture and copy it (control-c). Then when you post a message, click on the little yellow envelope on the header (it will say "insert image"). When you click on that, you'll get a new text bar. Just click paste (control-v), then OK.
    When you upload photos to Photobucket, you can select that they will automatically be resized to 800x600 which seems to be best without going off the end of the monitor.
    That way you'll get a full view of the posted image like this.

[​IMG]

Just trying to help......
    Verne:)

6. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Verne I do have a photobucket account that I am still working on. On my computer I can download to a photo program and then I can enlarge the image. I will put these images on photobucket in the nest few days and then post the link

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hi Tom,

The text surrounding Charlie's pic is THE caption. I don't recall exactly what year (issue) this pic was from but it was no later than 1971 'cause I was looking for Jr. Stock photos to post to this thread.

Regards,

Pete

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

9. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

I remember seeing Jack Worrell's Cobra at E-Town in the mid seventies almost every weekend, it was ametallic green w/a black rag top.

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hey, Pete...thanks for joining us. Yes, Jack's car was a medium (or therabouts) metallic green. The new Ford Mustangs have a similar (same?) green color which I really like.

Regards,

Pete

11. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Ben Wenzel just won Stock Eliminator at thr Jeg's Allstar race in I think the very same car.:D

12. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Guys, I am friends with the son-in-law of the guy who bought back the 1961 Chevy. He told me about the story of buying it on eBay for his Father-in-law. They had some old photos and were 100% positive it was the same carthat the guy raced way back when. To the best of my knowledge a full retoration to as raced condition is planned. Stay tuned..........

13. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Verne, photobucket works great until you fill up your album and the they want to charge you a fee to expand the size of your album. You can beat that if you delete older photos but they won't show up on the thread after you delelete them.

14. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Man I love those Oldsmobiles!!!! The photo of the Berejik car is outstanding. P;ease keep them coming. Still looking for some pics of the 1969 Anderson Olds W31. Thanks, Dave

15. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Butch, We'll be at the Beaver on Saturdat & Sunday for the races with the ECG. I love both the Wagon and your 57, Awesome cars. Try to stop by & say hello if you can and I'll also try to do the same. The Nostalgia Nationals at Beaver Springs is an OUTRAGEOUS event not to be missed by true nostalgia fans on the East Coast.:D

16. colesy

colesy

Speaking of the Worrell Brothers, does anyone remember Jack's brother Ken and the tow vehicle for his Vette Stocker? It was a 57 or 58 Cadillac flower car (as in funeral flower car). The closest thing you'll ever see to a Caddy pick-up truck. I'll post a photo of it when I get back home to my scanner. Ahhh, life on the road :(.................

17. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

ok guys, its been disscussed about how cool a nostagic jr stock class would be, how would any of you like to likto see such aclass set up as far as specs. and rules be set? myself, Iwould like to see a pre 72 year limit,maybe a cubic inch limit(keeping in mind that some make motors are getting scarce, like 265c.i. even 283c.i. much less early pontiac or olds! it would be hard to justify the cost of an early f.i. unit or even a early dual carb intake with wcfbs. maybe after market parts as long as they are same design and look closeto the same. how would any of you like to see the class structure set up? i would like to hear the opinions of some of the boys (or girls)who were there I would also like to see it set up as it was before, for the " little guy"! the main thing i would like to see is the VIBE it had before! lets hear your ideas!!!

18. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here are some picture I have not seen before

Attached Files:

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I have a picture somewhere of the Jeannie Johnson Nova that I took at Kinston. I see Bud Rowe's name in there too. Guess I'm gonna have to look through my old Drag News.
    Bob Rice

20. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Who does the Camaro belong too? Did eventually end up as a big block Super Stockerr?
    Bob Rice

21. colesy

colesy

Hey Tony;
    Where'd find those? Great stuff. I wish Wayne Walker would find his way here to our little "Blast from the Past" Mr. Zip was always a favorite of mine.

Attached Files:

22. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is one from the 1969 Nationals that I don't think I have posted before. How many cars can you recognize?

[​IMG]

23. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The 1969 Camaro was John Barkley's first Super Stock. Lindy won SS/LA class at the 1974 Winternationals. I drove the car at the 1973 OCIR Grand American won the eliminator and got tossed for the tires being over 10 inches wide. I do not know happened to the car after John sold it.

24. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Mr Colesy if you could post a picture of the two 57 chevys from the 1964 Winternationals in the latest Hot Rod I would greatly appreciate it. The hardtop has an A-1 decal on it. It is the same car which I used for my avitar.

25. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Thanks Mr. Janes.
    Bob Rice

26. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Hey Juniorstocker! Here's a pic of your '57 (I THINK it's yours, anyway!) when you had it at Hemmings Musclepalooza a few years ago. I fell in love with the look.... you really captured the '60s Junior Stock vibe!

[​IMG]

27. janet

janet
    from USA

I would like to see my entire life sent back to the 1963-1971 time frame.
    I am all for reinventing Junior Stock as it applies to this thread but I must admit , the co$t would be out of sight...No more $ 75. '57 Chevies, no more $ 50. Oldsmobiles, no more $ 2800.( new ) Max wedge Super/Stock-A/SA Plymouths....Sorry but ET Brackets killed it for me...

28. colesy

colesy

Hey Tony;
    This is the only 57 Chevy Hot Rod magazine photo I have of the 64 Winters. Like I say, I'm on the road with no access to my scanner. Have you ever seen the movie Planes, Trains & Automobiles? Well, they modeled John Candy's character (Del Griffith) after me. Always on the road:)

Attached Files:

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Pete

30. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Janet may not have seen this receipt for the '55 Bel Air I bought in Aug. 1965. I got drafted in September and sold the car to Charlie Hampp in the Spring. I became the Witchcraft.

[​IMG]

During the summer of 1970 I bought the Wheatley's '55 Sedan Delivery, less engine and headers, for $600, if my memory is correct. It still had the Boss Hydro.