Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. allstarracing

allstarracing

One of my cars we ran at Central Park and Thunder raceways in southern Ky.Steve packer way my engine man and drove some of my cars. Between me, my wife and Steve some times we had five cars at Thunder raceway on any given night. Steve and I ran two classes on a lot of nights. This one is running a Chevy motor.

[​IMG]

2. allstarracing

allstarracing

I built this car because of a quirk in the rules. The rule was 112" wheelbase not the factory wheelbase of the car used. I slid the front clip foward four inches and the motor back eight by hammering the firewall. It has an offset cage that put the driver in the back seat. I put paul blevins in the car and swept the first four weeks. He took it to Bardstown Speedway started last in the consi's because he couldn't get there to qualify won all three. Transfered and Had to start at the back of the feature. Ran second all three weeks and they car was outlawed. Put the motor in my 70 chevelle with a 20" engine setback. He won the feature and they outlawed it , then changed the rules so you had to have factory wheelbase and spark plug on upper balljoint. Sold the car to some guy in Tenn.

[​IMG]

3. allstarracing

allstarracing

TheTransformer Car had five different bodies. A fiberglass Cadillac, 80 Monte Carlo, 84 Monte Carlo and two camaros. As an 80 Monte Carlo I turned it over leading the heat at Central Park, Took the roof and fenders off and ran the feature.

[​IMG]

4. allstarracing

allstarracing

One of my latemodels at the sportsdrome. Larry phillips chassis. Nobody was making anything but Camaros in fiberglass so I made this Monte Carlo out of aluminum just to be different.

[​IMG]

5. allstarracing

allstarracing

I'm inside of Al Stringer at the Sportsdrome. I built his car also.

[​IMG]

6. allstarracing

allstarracing

Before and after new nose and front wide fives. Top picture is Charlestown Speedway the lower is Sporsdrome.

[​IMG]

7. allstarracing

allstarracing

I am driving Tony Anderson's car at the Fairgrounds.

[​IMG]

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

Tony Anderson at the Fairgrounds. Won the first race in this new car. Went on to be a very good figure eight driver.

[​IMG]

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

I built this car for Pat Smith. Lead guitar for the somewhat notorius Fire Department rock band. Its got a 57 Chevy frame. "Wild Bill McNaulty" drove it regulary. This is at the Sportsdrome.

[​IMG]

10. allstarracing

allstarracing

the first race after I finished the Chevelle I raced it. It was fast, finished second in the heat and feature. Then Bill McNaulty took over.

[​IMG]

11. allstarracing

allstarracing

Billy Bieckert and I built this car in 6 days after he totaled his other one. This included converting to rear discs and going 150 miles to get a chevelle convertable frame. I ended up with the car and it became he Transformer. This is at the sportsdrome where it won several races.

[​IMG]

12. allstarracing

allstarracing

Billy Bieckert won the Sportsdrome championship in this Camaro we built. Bill Clary built stroker.

[​IMG]

13. allstarracing

allstarracing

Billy Bieckert won the Sportsdrome streetstock champioship with this car. won 16 out of 20 features. Swept 8 nights.

[​IMG]

14. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is my vintage stockcar. It is a replica of my first car. 54 Ford with a 59 292 truck motor. It has Atlas Bucron tires. These were the hot tires of the day. Has a lot of my original race parts including an original set of Navy F4U WW II seat belts and shoulder harness. It won the 2002 Carl Casper car show in the vintage racecar class. It is period perfect down to the sparkplugs, oil filter, and sparkplug wires. My original guages, switches and Foxcraft shifter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  15. allstarracing

allstarracing

Long time friend Glen Kerns at the Fairgrounds.

[​IMG]

16. allstarracing

allstarracing

Glen Kerns at the Sportdrome in his only digression from the Blue oval.

[​IMG]

17. WOW ! that is a great photo. thanks for finding that, the only problem is that this car has whitewalls ???? I think you have found his nickname "Klapak". :D Is that pronounced Klapick or Klapack ??

18. allstarracing

allstarracing

Glen Kerns back in the blue oval fold at the Drome.

[​IMG]

19. allstarracing

allstarracing

A Chrysler product I built and drove for Johnny and Bertha Hall at the Drome.

[​IMG]

20. allstarracing

allstarracing

The transformer with the Cadillac body at the Drome with Steve Packer at the wheel. We swapped off driving as I had back trouble.

[​IMG]

21. allstarracing

allstarracing

I built this car for Ronnie Johnson for the Fairgrounds. I think it is in a garage in eastern Ky.

[​IMG]

22. allstarracing

allstarracing

Wayne Newkirk at the Drome. Used to work for me. I did a lot of work on this car.

[​IMG]

23. allstarracing

allstarracing

Benny Eagler won a Drome street stock champioship in this car.

[​IMG]

24. allstarracing

allstarracing

Homer French in the Johnnh and Bertha Hall owned Mustang that made them all look bad at the Drome

[​IMG]

25. allstarracing

allstarracing

Built this Pontiac Ventura out of cast off parts I had laying around. Won a ton of races at the Drome and Charlestown.

[​IMG]

26. allstarracing

allstarracing

The Ventura after I reskinned it

[​IMG]

27. allstarracing

allstarracing

Steve Packer driving the Venture had just passed the leader the turn before. The sreering shaft broke.

[​IMG]

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

Ventura in the infield. Steve Packer was allright.

[​IMG]

29. allstarracing

allstarracing

Broke the block, crank, cam, transmission,seat, and ring and pinion. Bent the pressure plate, driveshaft, rearend housing, steering wheel, rollcage, two wheels and busted the battery.

[​IMG]

30. Some early stockers wore whitewalls...IIRC, there was not a bonafide stock car racing tire until 1958-ish, so standard passenger car tires or truck tires had to suffice. Smokey Yunick tells a wonderful story about the first Southern 500 (1950) at Darlington...they 'borrowed' tires & wheels from spectator vehicles when they ran out. And boy did they run out...one fella (Red Byron?) blew out 24 tires that afternoon!

Somwhere, I have a photo of Buck Baker's '56 Chrysler running whitewalls at Orange Speedway, so they were around.